GT40-88 1JZ finished!!!!!!

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
YAY, I'm so happy! This afternoon I finally finished the GT40-88 swap on my 1JZ. Took me almost exactly one month.

First, what was done:
-Motor was opened up, and main bearings were clearanced, and replaced. This eliminated my cold start knock I had, I'm very happy.

-800cc injectors were installed in the stock rail. The fuel pump still might be replaced, it's unknown what's in there right know, and how much fuel it will flow (it flows a lot more then stock though).

-RPS 3200lb pressure plate, and RPS clutch were installed

-HKS R-Type (600x300x97mm) JZA80 intercooler kit was modified, to fit the JZA70.

And now for some pics!

The before picture.
Rebuild%201.JPG

Test fit of the IC
Rebuild%205.JPG

Motor out!
Rebuild%208.JPG

800cc injectors
Rebuild%2011.JPG

Intercooler mounted
Rebuild%2014.JPG

Another poor shot showing the IC mount, which also acts as a power steering cooler support, and hood latch support. I also added an additional power steering cooler (the green one) as it came with the kit, and I figures more cooling is good :)
Rebuild%2015.JPG

Bearings being replaced.
Rebuild%2016.JPG

Turbo and manifold installed. The wastegate literally sits 1/2 an inch from teh block. Almost like they designed it that way :)
Rebuild%2018.JPG

RPS 3200lb pressure plate.
Rebuild%2021.JPG

Motor back in.
Rebuild%2022.JPG

Hydro fan cooler re-located.
Rebuild%2024.JPG

No pictures of the finished product yet. Right now I'm using the stock IC pipes, getting soem custom ones tomorrow, as well as th edownpipe conencted to the rest of the exhaust, and getting a flange welded on for my BOV.

I took it for a rip this morning, had a minor oil leak I now fixed. going from 380cc injectors to 800cc injectors has obviously made the fuel maps WAY off. Fortunately, the V-pro right now is set up to be able to automatically adjust them as much as it wants. It's already re-adjusted its idle, and cruising A/F ratios so they're good. Haven't boosted it much because it's not tuned, and REALLY bogs down to the point of misfiring. It should be going in for tuning in the next few weeks, of course I'm still going to drive it :)

Oh, and the turbo sounds NUTS. you can hear it whining away when you're cruising, then you hit it, and it just spools. :)

Rich

tunin' tha beast
Jun 2, 2007
the netherlands
tissimo said:
800s on the stock ecu?

Yes, I'm curious about it as well, I have the exact same injectors ready to be installed. However, I upgraded my fuel supply; second walbro, second fuel feed line, aeromotive fpr and had a bung welded in the middle of the rail so I will have feed on both ends and the return in the middle.
My plan is to hook up the second pump on the vacuum switch, the thingy on the left on the firewall which switches the two leds on the dash (not sure if this was delivered in the usa though) so it only works when @ boost and won't pump around all the fuel @ idle and when cruizin'.

But hey, show us the pics of the finished job :thumbup: