Gauging Interest : Godfather Fender Flares Replica

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
willfish said:
am I just way too cheap, of does $100 a flare seam pricey ?

Will

No, it's not just you, but if the quality is great Im sure anyone will be willing ot pay for it. Not only that, but mould are expensinve to make, and if it isn't a large production product, he needs to sell them at a higher price to recover the costs. This is why we have GB's. If only two or three people wanted something replicated or custom made, it wouldn't be worth it for him to produce it. In the end it all comes down to supply and demand.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
i dont even know if he wanted $400 for them. $400 is what i paid for and tried to sell the origional set for before sending them to roy to be replicated for the community. he posted a few pages back about selling them for 399 but also said he was joking. so to date i dont think Roy has a price quite pegged down. what it will be, well, i guess well just wait and see! :icon_bigg

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
I did not say it would run for $400...I was joking about the $399...

Yes, Like John said the price will be pegged down quite abit and I think you all will be happy with it considering I have to modify the flares to flow better with the fender curve and including security bolts...which is more than what Godfathers offer.

Just give me this week or the weekend to work it out all. I do have a fair idea though after talking to my fiberglass friends.

Cheers,
Roy

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
tte, something like this would be nice: goto www.mcmaster.com and punch in this part number: 90058A833

ive used that type of machine screw at work before, they are very nice and not too expensive.

alternatly, you could make the places for bolts, but let the customer decide on what they want to use. might be less hassle for you that way.

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Kewl...I order stuff for work from Macmaster and they deliver overnight.

Yeah true...I might just put the indentations into the flares. Yeah, thanks for the idea Enraged....I shall do that instead...

Cheers,
Roy

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ok well if they aren't 400 then I really want them
Just do carbon or frp with the bolt indentations.
Anybody can fill in the holes if they plan or molding them in.
Just please make them ultra-pimp like these.

012__scaled_600_003.jpg
013__scaled_600_001.jpg

Mob

May 17, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
garagefujimoto said:
Ok well if they aren't 400 then I really want them
Just do carbon or frp with the bolt indentations.
Anybody can fill in the holes if they plan or molding them in.
Just please make them ultra-pimp like these.

012__scaled_600_003.jpg
013__scaled_600_001.jpg

That Miata is gorgeous...:love:

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
yep

i always try to post on SF how big bumper lips, aero, flares, hatch visors, massive 18X12 wheels with 7 inch death lip, crazy glitter paint, gold stickers and carbon diffusers are cool, but I just get flamed so they can go pack a lunch

it's not my fault that i think their cars are boring and standard. it's easy to be boring

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
i was thinking of having studs molded into the the back of the flare so you couldn't see bolts. same idea on how a spoiler mounts. i think if you saw the mounting bolts it would look ghetto as hell.

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
if you are concerned about the flow and rythym of the car, may be you should leave it stock.

flares realy aren't needed unless you are:

1. A Ricer.
2. Running rims over 10 in width

anybody in number two is more concerned with keeping the car in one piece than the molded flow of the body

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
Non stock exposed bolt style Is Ricer in my opinion.
So if you want gaudy bolts exposed on your car then go ahead.
see I'm not telling you what to do with your car, just expressing my opinion on the exposed bolt look.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Form follows fucntion for me....and as one of my friends stated once:

" what makes a car beutiful to me is not the smooth clean lines and the pretty paint, but the orgy of mechanical parts that beep, growl,....metal...bare metal.....its a machine, not a dress!"

I would love to have exposed rivets/bolts on the fenders! that would be awsome! and IF, TTE, you could....somehow wrap the fenders down to the bottom of the front lip of the front bumper, like the miata in the photo! That would not only be aerodynamic in every bit...but still add a constant FLOW effect.

-Jonathan

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I agree with everyone's concerns. We need to see a proto first, before we can make realistic judgements. I forsee a couple flare types, maybe one extending down more such as the miata, and maybe one more robust protruding more, w/e the case, lets just see something from tte, I bet it'll look good regardless if you're a ricer/grandma/pro driver.
eric

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Lol...some guys want the bolts...and some dont...

Well I will make the mold with indentations to take the bolts and those who do not want to use the bolts I can fill up the indentations.
How's that sound?

Well I think flares make the car look really kewl and I am also a big fan of function...I will modify the flares to flow with the fender curve.
And dont tell me you guys will want me to test the design in a wind tunnel.

Cheers,
Roy

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
tte these
supra%203rt4305.JPG

that you were Gauging Interest in, don't have exposed bolts. those are the ones i am expressing interest in.

form may follow function but it doesn't have to look like you just drilled bolts through the outside of your vehicle.

and really i like these best:

Attachments

• abflug_side.jpg
    abflug_side.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 52
  • abflug_frontcorner.jpg
    abflug_frontcorner.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 62

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Yo if you like the abflug ones more just buy them, they still make them. I agree they are a nice full flare, and it goes well with their entire kit.
eric

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Hey guys,

I will have the modified flares to match the fender curve and with indentations to take bolts. If a person does not want to use bolts I will fill the indentations up.

That way would be the easiest. Otherwise it would be hard trying to please everybody.

Cheers,
Roy

P.S. very nioce flare kit...If someone has the abplug ones I would replicate them too...