Gauging Interest : Godfather Fender Flares Replica

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
i think that would look kinda cool! i remember seeing an old-school corolla with big ass fender flares like that, all bolted on with the bolts showing... im sure whatever you do it will be awesome Roy!

Bigdough666

Picture Me Rollin
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX
Hell yea, id be down for a set. Im gonna roll the fenders anyway, these would make the car look even meaner with the big ass tires in the back. Get it goin, lets see some prices.

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
It defenitely looks like there is enough interest for these. What do you think TTE. Judging buy how many people want them, can you work out a rough estimate for the cost of these.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
If botls were used would that invite thieves and make it easier for them to steal the flares or am i just worrying too much?

Cheers,
Roy

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
You worry too much is all :icon_razz . There are bolts visible on the side of the front blinkers, but people don't go stealing them.
eric

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
blinkers arn't CF though. you never know what people will steel nowadays anyways. it is a good point though Roy.

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Well i was just talking to a friend who has his own fiberglass company in the bay area and he used to make spoilers and fender flares which is kewl.

He will be helping me ad giving me tips for this new project. I think I could have indentations in the flares for the bolts which would look kewl.

Cheers,
Roy

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
if you are talking about bolts like on the Frontier fender flares, personally, I'm not liking that for my mkiii.
frontierside.jpg

imo I don't think it flows with the body well. If someone has pics on a mkiii to show, it may help me visualize it.
jmo

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
do the bolts. and do it in carbon.

that way....

Flares $400
Bolts $2
-----------
$402

frp mold-in unpainted flares

Flares $400
Bodywork $300
Painting $200
--------------
$900

For 900, I'll just pull the stockers and forget trying mold anything in. Also keep in mind that if you ever get a ding in your car, the body has to be re-done, as the filler will probably crack, where a bolted flare can be simply replaced.

Last edited:

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
you can use security screws/bolts as well. there is a pretty large variety of shapes. also, you would still want to use something like heavy duty molding tape to attach the flares, the bolts could just compress and secure them. im using a 3m tape at work, its the kind they use to hold aircraft parts together, and the panels on the sides of truck trailers, very good stuff, and very difficult to remove.

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
stanzaspeed said:
blinkers arn't CF though. you never know what people will steel nowadays anyways. it is a good point though Roy.

I can just imagine it.... Joe blow goes around stealing all carbon fiber parts from every car he can see and sells them to duane at wholsale. Recycled carbon fiber headlight covers, anyone? :biglaugh:

tte

Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Hi guys,

Yes, I will have to source some samples of the security bolts and try them.

From looking at the pic of the supra with flares that was posted by tubbie the flares looks like they flow with the fender.

If you look at the pics posted by Stanzaspeed the edge of the flares have a sharp bend...sudden drop...

I am thinking if I have to modify the godfather's flares to make it flow with the curve of the fender better or just leave it and replicate the flares as is.

What do u guys think?

Cheers,
Roy

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
Make them flow more. This way if we wanted them moulded to the car it may not be necessary if they are alreasy flush with zero or minimal gaps. I don't plan on using bolts, but just a strong 2 sided tape.