ForcedTorque's 3E5 has Arrived!!!!!

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Finally after 1/2 of the month has been pissed away, I opened the hood of my car today. I'm gonna need a little help now. Here's what happened today as I searched for power. Keep in mind, I'm an electrical idiot, and have no testing type tools (that I know how to use).

So far my car acts as if it has NO BATTERY AT ALL! I recently bought it a brand new battery, so that shouldn't be the problem.

I believe I have all my GROUNDS checked. Here's the ones I have checked, let me know if I leave any out.

1.Negative battery cable is connected to the block. The small wire from it is bolted to the body near the igniter. I scraped the new paint off where it connects today.

2. Two wires from the wiring harness are bolted to the intake manifold.

3. Ground wire is connected from the Coil Pack.

4. Ground wire from the rear engine lift bracket is secured to the body near the wiper motor.

5. Wire from the body to the Tranny stiffener bolt secure as of today

6. Wire from the Tranny Crossmember to the tranny at the bolt where the exhaust hanger is.

I think that's all the grounds I have. I may be leaving one out either due to memory, or I might be overlooking the need for one. So I might have just forgotten to list one or two.

While checking grounds today, I reached up with my ratchet and extension to give the positive battery cable a wiggle just to be sure. When I did that, the extension made contact with the tranny stiffener, and it threw a spark!

Because of that, I believe I have all my grounds covered, so now I'm assuming fuses. I have swapped everything in my engine compartment fuse box. The only thing I didn't have was the 100amp fuse. My parts car had a jumper wire installed where that fuse goes. I'm assuming the car worked with that installed.

Now I have looked at the interior fuse box, and some fuses are not the correct fuses. I haven't tried to get them all straight yet, but I believe they are all higher amp fuses than they should be. I'm going to work on straightening that out today, but I don't don't suspect that to be the problem.

I don't know which way to turn now!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I wish I could help Scott, but I'm not even smart enough electrically to be your apprentice. Good luck.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
scott go to a autoparts store and get that 100watt fuse, then if you have a turbo timer or maybe for shits and giggles check you ignition harness under the steering colum make sure everything is okay then straighten out the fuses inside the car. not sure if that's goung to solve your problem but that's where I'd start.

Last edited:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
suprahooked said:
Check the neutral safety switch on the clutch , you could run a jumper between the wires to see if it is bad.

I'm not sure if I made it clear. It's not a starting problem. I may have that later, but I'm not even trying to start it yet. So far, I don't even get a dome light when the door opens, or even a ding if the key is in the on position. I've tried everything electrical in the car, but nothing at all has power.

Thanks for the tip Clint.....I wondered if I should try replacing that 100A with new. It doesn't look blown though. And, bolting that jumper wire into place should have worked if it was the problem.

Ken......I just might do that. JJ for some reason has never seemed like my biggest fan. I'm not sure if it's because he's all business, and I'm a postwhore, or if I have pissed him off in the past.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
First off all I will also admit that Im not the best when it comes to electrical but start by checking the obvious. New battery or not it may be dead. If you have a closed circuit somewhere then it could have drained the battery even overnight to the poin that it wont turn on a single thing. try some jumper cables or putting the battery on something else to see if it has any juice.

After that you need to check to see if you have powewr at the ignition. you need at least a test probe or a multimeter to check for power getting to the switch. If you have it there you should have accessories working. thats where I would start.

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Have you checked the fuse box under the hood?

If you don't have a multimeter you can find a 12v light bulb and test some circuits with that.

Like Weezl said, it wouldn't hurt to swap in a known good battery to see if that changes anything.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
theWeezL said:
First off all I will also admit that Im not the best when it comes to electrical but start by checking the obvious. New battery or not it may be dead. If you have a closed circuit somewhere then it could have drained the battery even overnight to the poin that it wont turn on a single thing. try some jumper cables or putting the battery on something else to see if it has any juice.

After that you need to check to see if you have powewr at the ignition. you need at least a test probe or a multimeter to check for power getting to the switch. If you have it there you should have accessories working. thats where I would start.

Holy Crap! Pete! Glad to see you're still around!!!!

Scott-how could you have pissed anyone off? You're one of the nicest guys on here. Post whore? Well, yeah! Who isn't?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
I failed to update the thread Sunday when I completed my Intercooler piping.

But, NOW I have news that I'm very excited to bring to the thread. I NOW HAVE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a visit today from Hal89T. He came to Satsuma while in Mobile to get an oil pan from me. So we got to talking about my car. As soon as he mentioned the wire coming from under the fuse box, I knew that was the problem. When I got home from work where we talked, I found that wire, and got it put into place. And get this.............that wire was bolted to my frame for some reason.

Now that I have power, I 'm not out of the electrical woods quite yet. The car has a short that has the interior lights acting like hazard lights. And, I get nothing but a click out of the ignition. But, at least I'm headed in the right direction. I'll get my interior fuse box straightened out next. Most fuses there are the wrong size. Hopefully soon, I can report that first start!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I thought I mentioned to you to check the wire coming out of the fuse box. I know it was either that or that I was an electrical idiot, one of the two.............:biglaugh:

Glad you're moving in the right direction. Try to have it up and running by the twentieth of October. I want you to make it to the Steele meet if at all possible. Anyone else reading this is more than welcome also.

jmoneydtb

Old Skool Kool Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006
mobile, al
Good job Scott! But I believe I saw something about intercooler pipe being finished, and I didn't see any pics, this is unacceptable my friend. :nono:

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
I will trade you a riced out green N/A Supra that needs reassembled for it. :)

ForcedTorque said:
Yes, TooStand is Mike from Campton. One hell of a guy!

Well the 240 was bought for my son who just turned 16. It has a sr20, and a Ka24. I was gonn build it for him, but it's not a Supra, so I'm lost. It is currently for sale, and I'm gonna find him an N/A Supra

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
jmoneydtb said:
Good job Scott! But I believe I saw something about intercooler pipe being finished, and I didn't see any pics, this is unacceptable my friend. :nono:

OK.......OK...........I finally got my Upper IC back with the BOV Flange welded on. Ans as soon as I got it home, I took a picture of it almost installed. Then I came in the house to see in my e-mail that my piping will be changinging again tomorrow! Hell YES! That means my HKS 3000 will be here tomorrow. But for you picture hounds, here's what it looks like right now. Still a few things to be sorted out, but it's almost done (Reign Style).

p761433_1.jpg

p761433_2.jpg

p761433_3.jpg

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Loving it Scott!!! I am very impressed you have done a great job my friend...:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: