*Electronic Boost Controllers*

whiplash

Oct 8, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Apex'i AVC-R

Nice bright screen, fits perfectly in ashtray area =) Ability to monitor up to four values, including speed, rpm, boost/vacuum, throttle position. Able to monitor those values as digital "dials" on the screen, numerically, or graph-wise, and can save and replay up to 20 seconds of those graphs. Able to hold 2 preset boost settings, and able to program boost in general, and also by rpm increments. Scramble boost settings allowed for each of 2 boost settings, but a button must be sourced independantly.

Only thing that gets slightly annoying, hard to see the screen in sunlight. Holds boost perfectly when set, no problems at all so far.

Whew, I'm out of breath =)

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
^^^I have heard lots of good stuff about the AVC-R. I didn't want anything so complex, so I bought a Greddy Profec Type S. Same as the old Profec B but with the newer motor so I have read.
It is the only EBC I have ever used so I can't compare to anything, but the Greddy is idiot proof. Holds boost super steady, and helps with initial spool. Really easy to install too. I would buy it again.

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
blitz dsbc. oldschool type that was in the topsecret supra. Can handle max boost of 2.5bar. 4 settings. Dosnt use a measurement of pressure for settings rather a "ratio" type measurement. Has built in boostgauge with peakhold. 1/4din size. Has overboost protection and a built in scramble mode (overtake boost)
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/9589/dsbc_manual.html
have a look in there for more info on tuning/settings. Not fancy but does the trick. Just click and drive basically.

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
maybe you guys can help me out too.... i'm after an electronic boost controller
only needs to run max 20psi
has lcd screen showing current boost
and easy to adjust

i don't need to monitor anything else as my zt2 does all that :)
what would you guys suggest for me?

mixmastermatt

Former Nissan Junkie
Mar 30, 2006
Taftville, CT
^^^
I have an HKS EVC 4

Does an awesome job, has a few minor submodes like a scramble and a timer to run at a certain pressure for a certain period. 2 boost settings, easy to install, shows pressure in bar digitally, small size and super easy to adjust.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
IJ. said:
Whip: Can you check your manual and see what it says about gear based corrections please?
(Interested in how they sense the gear)

Great post thanks!

it senses gears by the value from RPM divided by vehicle speed. This is found on page 34 in the AVC-R instruction manual. :icon_bigg

Ian, I love the AVC-R. It get's my recomendations.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
IJ. said:
Where does it get the speed signal from Mark?

I see where you're going with this. I almost positive it get's the speed from the ECU. I've never messed with my AVC-R enough to set boost according to gear selection, so I can't advice on its' functionality.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
I run the Blitz SBCID. It is on the expensive end of boost controllers, but I searched every forum from GN's to STI's and found one for $300 shipped.

I love it. It is small, but has a great display that I just double-side taped over my stock boost gauge. It looks great there. It has nice peak hold and warning features (visual and audable). It has scamble boost features, boost limiter for those who hate overboosting (me). It is good for up to 40psi. It has 4 boost presets. Easy to use. I think its perfect. I could post some pictures if anyone interested in how i mounted it. Its 1/2 din so it could also be mounted in an empty cd slot.

edit.. Speed Map - This unique feature allows the SBC i-D to control boost according to the speed of the vehicle (Power Meter i-D required). Speed Map boost control can be set up from a 2 stage to a 4 stage control, which allows the user to set boost according to his driving style. Speed in transfer by infrared between the Power Meter i-D and SBC i-D.

thats for scramble boost, using the speed of the vehicle to set your boost. Also requires power meter Id

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
IJ. said:
It would be a kick arse feature for my car Mark!

I agree. I never messed with it because I wasn't making but 260ish rwhp before my rebuild, so I set the boost as high as I could (I couldn't afford to lose any, ya know) :biglaugh:

Anyway, after I get my new motor in & broke in well, I want to play my AVC-R a lot more to see how much I can squeeze out of it.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
IJ. said:
Mine is useless at 4000 in the first 3 gears :(

LOL, from the 'things you never thought you'd see written on Supra Mania' file, Ian complains about making too much power. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I've heard it all now, LOL.