*Electronic Boost Controllers*

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
all i have to say is avcr it really nice pretty much the best out there in less you run a emange setup then the e1 whould be my choice since ti will match

the only con i have about the avcr is umm it looks pretty old now compared to others and the sfac 2

i herd that the gear boosty thing does not work with our car's i cna be wroung and if am tell me so i can set it up on my car

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Ryan: I wasn't really over concerned by the dated look as it's in a 20 year old car ;)!

I think an issue for the speed sense part of the AVC-R may be in how our cars generate the signal!

Because I'm standalone I don't have the stock ECU or much of the stock wiring left so I had to find the signal wire! (It's a Pink wire with Silver flashes)

To verify it I hooked up a multimeter then moved the car a bit while watching the signal, it was 4 triggers one at 2.58v one at .9v then 1.3v and 1.9v so I'm guessing this confuses the AVC-R!

I'll have a play around today and see what it actually does but my feelings/guess/thoughts are that it will just blur the change over points slightly and as my 1st 2nd and 3rd gear boost points will be all the same it shouldn't affect me at all!

I used some RX7 oil cooler rubber mounts on the solenoid and it's silent!

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i was talking with some that got the speed senceing to work

he got pickup and stamped it to the drive shaft and ran the sencer on the body

now the hard part is he did not do this some did for him

now all i got to find out is what does the avcr like as in signale

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Cross post from my big thread!

AVC-R FunNgames!
It dried up enough this afternoon for me to take Fatty out and do some tuning on the Boost Controller!

I got all of the Gear Sense sorted did the High power settings (21 psi for the time being) and made a start on the low power settings when It started raining again!

I pulled into a truck parking bay on the freeway sorted the rest of the low settings and nailed it through the gears on the way out!

9 psi at 4000 and perfect traction :)
At these settings the top end is 1 bar 14.7!

After replumbing it last night I remembered I'd changed the WG Hose to the back of the intake manifold when I had the old turbo and gate on to get more boost so putting it back on the Compressor outlet has dropped a couple of PSI off the gate!

At 1 bar you have to really lay into it before it breaks traction in the wet so it's safe up to 5500 in the first 3 gears and accelerates very hard and when it does break traction it's quite controllable.

I have to say the AVC-R is an amazing piece of gear and contrary to everything I read really simple to set up and tune!

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
That cool, Ian! I'll be in touch with you shortly to get some advice from you. I never had too much of a chance to play with mine before I tore my car apart, so I still have to learn the finer point of the AVC-R.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Mark: In my usual fashion I spent the last few days researching and reading everything I could find on the AVC-R and am more than impressed at how simple it is and how well it works! (I was a bit freaked out that it was going to be hard to make it do what I wanted)

It'll run 3 bar no probs so that was a bit of a Net Myth I found!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I think a lot of that myth stems from if you have a stock actuator like a .5bar/7 psi one and you crank the controller up the exhaust will actually unseat the flapper valve limiting your boost and people mistake this as the AVC-R can't hold more then 1.8 bar!

Kyle87T

Banned
Aug 4, 2005
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
supraforums doesnt seem to allow me to search anything. It loads into a blank screen. So I thought I would ask it here.

Out of the Greddy Profec Spec 2, blitz sbc Spec R and the Apexi AVCR, what is the best one and why?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
So were you able to run if off of the stock speed output from the speedo or did you have to use the output on your trans? If you said it I just missed it somewhere, lol.