*Electronic Boost Controllers*

88targarose

Got Boredom?
Apr 7, 2005
Albuq, NM
www.turboninjas.com
My Input on the AVC-R:

It pairs nicely with the S-AFC II, it has great features, but overall usability? Lacking.

I have one major gripe with the AVC-R, and that's this. I want a boost controller where I say "Gimme, 15.5PSI." and it goes "Ok." I don't want to set a boost level, then guess a duty solenoid percentage, make a pull, try again, make a pull, and so on and so forth. This is exactly what the AVC-R Does.

In order to make the AVC-R hold (say) 15psi. You do this:
1) Set the Boost Level to 1.05 kg/cm^2
2) Set duty cycle to 50%
3) Make a pull, if the boost overshoots the value you want, turn the duty cycle down, if if undershoots, turn it up.
4) Repeat untill you get it how you want it.

Really, while I love the AVC-R's features and advancements, that's not what I think a boost controller should be. I should be able to say "gimme 15psi" and go. It shouldn't take me 2 hours of tuning to set one boost level. On top of that, this makes changing boost levels on the fly a pain in the ass. Sure, the AVC-R has multiple boost settings, but it means you must tune them too. No changing boost on the fly, etc. This also means that adding that extra two psi in first or second, you have to tune that too. Boost level is almost never used, Duty Cycle is very definately the important value.

IMO, the best options out there would be a combination of the Blitz SBC-ID's simplicity (VERY Simple, Select the boost you want, and GO), with the AVC-R's features (Gear Judge, Gear based boost levels, etc.).

Conclusion:
Its features rule, but "Duty Cycle" sucks horse crap.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Jake: Yep mine is fine! :)

88Targa: If you let it self learn it functions in the way you'd like it to but it takes time so I prefer to set it manually.

scenario: Put a CAI on my car Sunday had my boost tuned to give me 21 psi before so with the denser charge it was overshooting to 27 psi.

Dropped the duty cycle 2 pulls to 4000 in 4th and had it dialled.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
From what I understand the stepper motor it uses is no where near as reliable as other controllers. I can't confirm this for sure but I do remember reading it somewhere; just after reading what you heard actually.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Doesn't the maft pro cost about the same as the avcr? Wouldn't that be more bang for your buck? I need a good boost controller in a bad way and was wanting the avcr, but now I think I'm leaning towards the maft pro. The only problem is that I am one step above a complete idiot. The second problem is no one around here will work on supras. Are the instructions self explanatory, or do you have to be IJ smart to understand it............;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
SH: Ummm 2 totally different products! ;)

AVCR controls boost

MaftPro Translates the Hot wire or Speed density signal into something the stock ECU can understand ;)
(I'm sure it does more but I'm standalone so have just glossed over it)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I thought that I read where it had a built in boost controller with two settings and did the tuning as well. I don't really need the tuning part, since I wouldn't know how to do it, but for the money I thought it might be worth it. All I really need is a GOOOOD boost controller...........lol

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
:bowdown: .....................Thanks IJ.................Does it ever get old being smarter than everyone else?...................;)

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
AVC-R was my FAV I wish i still had it. Lacks good logging ability as it cannot save out to a file or something.

E01 Has LOTS of features, but the boost control is a little pissy and is a PAIN in the ass, clumsy menu, screen is ass, too slow to react, and noisy. Does a great job if you use the extra features. Hooks up to the emanage and can data log off that. Has lots of warnings ect.