Electric Fans 1 or 2

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
You guys who are down on electric fans kill me...
If you're in love with your stone-age clutch fan then God bless ya'.
But to suggest that it's a better method to cool the radiator than properly set-up dual electric fans, is just flat wrong.:nono:

I dont care what the supramania popular/brainiac/elite say. They're wrong.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
suprabad;981206 said:
You guys who are down on electric fans kill me...
If you're in love with your stone-age clutch fan then God bless ya'.
But to suggest that it's a better method to cool the radiator than properly set-up dual electric fans, is just flat wrong.:nono:

I dont care what the supramania popular/brainiac/elite say. They're wrong.

Wow,

2nd thread that I have to rain on someone parade.

You chose the wrong thread to attempt an idiotic position as the one you posted.

It has nothing to do with being a braniac, or a flat out geniuos.

Has to do with a very rudimentary and basic understanding of science. An internal combustion engine has a lot more power available to power the said mechanical fan. Electric will always be limited to the unefficent dc pancake motors. No matter how hard you try to argue against a mechanical fan. In the end it is quite futile as an electrical fan will NEVER ever pull as much air as the mechanical setup. That last statement is not debateable. There is a reason why the long haulers still use mechanical and not electrical ;) And they run COOLER burning diesel fuel ;)

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
figgie;981213 said:
Wow,

2nd thread that I have to rain on someone parade.

You chose the wrong thread to attempt an idiotic position as the one you posted.

It has nothing to do with being a braniac, or a flat out geniuos.

Has to do with a very rudimentary and basic understanding of science. An internal combustion engine has a lot more power available to power the said mechanical fan. Electric will always be limited to the unefficent dc pancake motors. No matter how hard you try to argue against a mechanical fan. In the end it is quite futile as an electrical fan will NEVER ever pull as much air as the mechanical setup. That last statement is not debateable. There is a reason why the long haulers still use mechanical and not electrical ;) And they run COOLER burning diesel fuel ;)

There are so many holes in your argument, I don't know where to begin so I'm not going to try, other than to say that you have taken some basic truths (such as the fact that the cars engine makes more power than a small DC motor etc.) and drawn a bunch of innaccurate conclusions taking only limited facts into your "reasoning".

I'm not going to be bated into a pissing contest with people who's overriding goal is to be "right". So fire away with a pseuedo technical rant and trash me in the process...with my blessing.:icon_bigg

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
suprabad;981256 said:
There are so many holes in your argument, I don't know where to begin so I'm not going to try, other than to say that you have taken some basic truths (such as the fact that the cars engine makes more power than a small DC motor etc.) and drawn a bunch of innaccurate conclusions taking only limited facts into your "reasoning".

I'm not going to be bated into a pissing contest with people who's overriding goal is to be "right". So fire away with a pseuedo technical rant and trash me in the process...with my blessing.:icon_bigg

Please. No need to "trash" as you did that all by your lonesome self.

As for try, funny thing is you can try until you drown yourself in the pile of bullshit that you are attempting to pass on as "science". but trying and actually succeding in using physics to explain your idiotic position won't happen in this reality.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
figgie;981261 said:
Please. No need to "trash" as you did that all by your lonesome self.

As for try, funny thing is you can try until you drown yourself in the pile of bullshit that you are attempting to pass on as "science". but trying and actually succeding in using physics to explain your idiotic position won't happen in this reality.

I haven't "attempted" to pass anything off as "science" or anything else, other than my opinion based on my experience.

Here's a thought: It's possible to disagree with someone without becoming rude and/or hostile.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I'm running dual electric fans. They've been more trouble than they're worth.

alloyguitar;980739 said:
Who needs a/c in a targa topped car?

I don't

-Devon Goodspeed
I can go without A/C until low to mid 90's with the targa top off. That's only good enough to last until May here. June through August averages highs of 97-100 degrees with extreme highs over 110. I'll be keeping my A/C thank you very much.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
jetjock;981323 said:
Popular brainiac elite? Lmao....

Not worth it figgie. The guy's comments should be allowed to stand on their own merits. A look through his post history proves that to be the best choice of action.

Sad, weak attempt at jumping on the wagon. I wrote you off so long ago I'd almost forgotten you and your superior attitude were still around here.

iheartmx83

May 8, 2007
CA
doing my swap still i decided to go mechanical. reason being that its stupid easy, bolt it up, you got a cooling fan (if your fan clutch is still good), i would of gone electrical if i felt like wiring shit up...

ill be going electrical down the road tho , so things stay quiet, maybe 2 pushers. why ? cause im not going to be running a/c any more :)

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
okay, so, yes, an electric fan doesn't have as much power as the engine in your car, this is true, but is all that power really necessary in pushing/pulling air through your radiator?

My car stays cool, and that's all that matters to me. If you run a clutch fan and your car stays cool, then congrats. I just feel that my current electric fan setup cleans up my engine bay, and that makes it worth it to me.

That, and they run after the car is stopped, to continue cooling, which is added insurance (at least in my eyes).

-Devon Goodspeed

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
suprabad;981334 said:
Sad, weak attempt at jumping on the wagon. I wrote you off so long ago I'd almost forgotten you and your superior attitude were still around here.

of course you did! You do not have a foot much less two to stand on. So instead of coming in with facts. You come in with your constant speculation and nothing more.

as for being rude. nope. Just cold hard facts. I don't do rude. I just cut the bullshit frills out.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
You're talking science, engineering, and physics while he's talking an opinion based on personal experience, a logical fallacy for determining facts that intelligent people know to avoid. Yet those who hold to your (and mine) point of view are "just flat wrong". Ya gotta love that ;)

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
God give it a rest guys... This is just turning into a jz vs 7m fight..
Its been proven that properly set up electric fans work...It has also proven that the clutch fan works the best for most applications...
THEY BOTH WORK

Quit beating the fucking horse...
Let people run what they think is best..If it fucks something up..its on them.
If it works...it works..you cant argue with that..What works for someone might not be right for someone else. Every setup is different.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Of course they "work". Just about every transverse front wheel drive vehicle made today uses them. The issue is what's best from an engineering standpoint and what's best for this application. In that case it's the stock fan for several reasons. Anyone who fully understands the dynamics of a dual thermostatically controlled cooling loop or has bothered to instrument the engine under both configurations would already know that. Seems Toyota does. And fwiw simply because an engine doesn't overheat with electric doesn't mean it's being properly cooled.

Then there's the reliability and maintenance issues. For example depending on the coolant used the guy who waxes poetic about how his fan runs after shutdown won't be happy in a year or so when he finds his radiator core plugged directly opposite the fan.

Course, the members can do whatever they like with their cars. In keeping with that and what I know you'll never see electric on mine. That said people come here for intelligent advice. I seriously doubt the "do what you want and if it blows up in your face too bad so sad " approach is what they're looking for. I dunno about you but I'm not here to offer that sort of guidance.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
RedEj8;981485 said:
God give it a rest guys... This is just turning into a jz vs 7m fight..
Its been proven that properly set up electric fans work...It has also proven that the clutch fan works the best for most applications...
THEY BOTH WORK

Quit beating the fucking horse...
Let people run what they think is best..If it fucks something up..its on them.
If it works...it works..you cant argue with that..What works for someone might not be right for someone else. Every setup is different.

good call.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Jetjock i totally agree with you on that.
People are comming here for guidance but theres others that will do as they please no matter how much "fact" they are taught and how many times theyre told not to do something.

I think it really depends on application. If youre not doing much city stop and go driving and/or live in a cool climate then a thermostatically controlled cooling system with that is properly set up with a good fan shroud and fan(s) that can move enough air to keep the engine at is proper operating temperature would -probably- work fine.
If you live in a warm climate or do a lot of city driving they the clutch fan would be you best bet. Also wouldnt strain the electrical system of the car and is probably more headache and worry-free.
Drag racing-electric fan
Road racing /autocross-clutch fan
etc...
etc...
And keeping with this, you'll probably never see an electric fan on my car either. :)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Of course. I was talking normal use, the job for which the car was designed, and how I use mine. In that capacity I want all the cooling reserve I can get without modification. I'll also agree about people doing what they want no matter what but there's no way of separating such idiots from the ones looking for actual help. At least not at first ;)

Since personal experience is being touted mine is 21 years of daily driver use without a single overheat of any kind. That includes every kind of driving you can imagine from city to summer desert and mountains with the AC full on. All with the stock cooling system and normal maintenance. In exchange for that sort of performance I couldn't care less about the few ponies it's costing.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
jetjock;981545 said:
Of course. I was talking normal use, the job for which the car was designed, and how I use mine. In that capacity I want all the cooling reserve I can get without modification. I'll also agree about people doing what they want no matter what but there's no way of separating such idiots from the ones looking for actual help. At least not at first ;)

Since personal experience is being touted mine is 21 years of daily driver use without a single overheat of any kind. That includes every kind of driving you can imagine from city to summer desert and mountains with the AC full on. All with the stock cooling system and normal maintenance. In exchange for that sort of performance I couldn't care less about the few ponies it's costing.

basically the same as mine.

I went 10 years though. and went through one of the most hellacious mountain climbs that I have ever seen.

I-75 in Georgia right before entering Chatanooga, TN. 5 miles of 6% grade climbing. A/C on and climbing in 3rd gear. That was fun and scary as that is the first time I ever seen the needle budget from the center........

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
jetjock;981504 said:
Then there's the reliability and maintenance issues. For example depending on the coolant used the guy who waxes poetic about how his fan runs after shutdown won't be happy in a year or so when he finds his radiator core plugged directly opposite the fan.

What do you mean and why would it get clogged? I was considering using the AC fan as one to run for a set time after the car has been shut off because i have noticed the whole engine and everything kind of heat soaks and gets very hot minuets after shutdown. I was thinking running this small fan for a little bit could help get rid of some excess heat. (especially for wires and hoses and such)