Electric Fans 1 or 2

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I take issue with broken belts being a fan only issue. In the case of a broken fan belt, your water pump also isn't turning, which makes the fan rather a moot point. No water pump, and the fan isn't going to make a difference. It's not like the cooling system will circulate by convection...

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
figgie;981213 said:
unefficent

*inefficient
:icon_razz

anyways...
E-fans are nice because they can cool better at idle (the fan is not limited to engine rpm) and when the car's cold or cruising on the highway they can be turned off. They're also added stress to the electrical system.
Overall, a mechanical fan is much more efficient and generally has more cooling capacity. Power losses for the mechanical fan are small with a working clutch.

Everything is a trade-off. Do what you want.

One good point was that junkyard e-fans are a better choice than aftermarket. I totally agree. MUCH less money and usually better quality. who can argue with that?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Dan_Gyoba;985222 said:
I take issue with broken belts being a fan only issue. In the case of a broken fan belt, your water pump also isn't turning, which makes the fan rather a moot point. No water pump, and the fan isn't going to make a difference. It's not like the cooling system will circulate by convection...

It's also the alternator belt, so you'd be stranded anyway.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
Dan_Gyoba;985222 said:
I take issue with broken belts being a fan only issue. In the case of a broken fan belt, your water pump also isn't turning, which makes the fan rather a moot point. No water pump, and the fan isn't going to make a difference. It's not like the cooling system will circulate by convection...[/QUOTE]

Too true, but I feel the added drag of the clutch is what helps the belt wear faster. You are non the less very accurate in your point.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
miekedmr;985242 said:
*inefficient
:icon_razz

anyways...
E-fans are nice because they can cool better at idle (the fan is not limited to engine rpm) and when the car's cold or cruising on the highway they can be turned off. They're also added stress to the electrical system.
Overall, a mechanical fan is much more efficient and generally has more cooling capacity. Power losses for the mechanical fan are small with a working clutch.

Everything is a trade-off. Do what you want.
One good point was that junkyard e-fans are a better choice than aftermarket. I totally agree. MUCH less money and usually better quality. who can argue with that?

My efan is on a temp sencor controle by my ECU. When cruising it is cooler than the turn on point so they stay off regardless. During the winter the cool air cause my fans to only come on when I stop for more than 5 minutes. I believe they come on at 195 degrees.

I cruise and my car never gets over 88 degrees celcius in winter until I stop for a few minutes. There is no need to think of turning them off, and I would probably leave them off by mistake.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
QWIKSTRIKE;985281 said:
My efan is on a temp sencor controle by my ECU. ... There is no need to think of turning them off, and I would probably leave them off by mistake.

I didn't mean that you'd have to turn them off manually.

when the car's cold or cruising on the highway they can be turned off automatically.

fixed :)