ebay recirculated DDP - fitment and specs?

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Awesome, thanks for the input. When I first got it I jumped to the conclusion it was just a very poorly designed pipe (a la stereotypical eBay). Although the welds and build quality are surprisingly good, so that threw me off a bit.

I can't wait to get the right one then!

-James

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
I'd like to add in I bought one of the $273 ones from E-bay from the same guy theprodigy79 did and after reading his experiences I made a point to e-mail the guy to ensure I was getting the correct one. Even included pictures to make sure he knew which one I was supposed to be getting and which one I was not. He guaranteed me I was getting the one pictured in the ad, so I guess I'll find out.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
fstlane, he seems like a good guy... You'll probably be fine, especially after this experience with me. He has positive feedback left from others for the Supre DDP, so I assume they got the right one.

Good luck!

-James

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
It's the right one, the box was open on one end so I'm extremely lucky it wasn't damaged, and I might be missing some of the hardware but the gaskets are there.

The quality of this really, really surprises me. The welds look awesome, and someone actually went with a grinder and cleaned up the welds inside the pipes, and actually did a good job. Very surprised, and glad I got the correct one, now to get a WB bung welded on farther down the pipe and then it's off to Jet Hot.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Henry from optionautoimports actually emailed me immediately yesterday when he received my return and included a picture of my pipe right next to the pipe they should have sent me. We got back in touch over the phone and he's sending me the correct pipe.

Henry is a good guy, and he definitely knows what he's talking about, another guy who works for him made the mistake when shipping. But he's actually been a Supra owner himself for several years.

I withdraw my initial warning, at least partially... Just beware that you may be caught in a similar situation, so reinforce to them that you expect the pipe shown in the auction.

As for build quality, as I stated before (and as fstlane stated above), the build quality seems pretty high quality, and the welds are very well done... My only concern is that I don't believe the pipes are SUS-321 as advertised in the eBay auctions... I question this because the ZW site itself advertises the usage of SUS-304...

Also, parts of my piping were actually magnetic, indicating a ferritic structure... While this doesn't necessarily mean anything adverse, I'm guessing that it's not a very high quality stainless... I'm sure it's sufficient, but all of the stainless steel exhaust parts I've purchased for my past vehicles have been non-magnetic (higher chromium and nickel content)...

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Also, regarding the wideband bung... Did anyone else notice that the model I initially received had much better placement of the bung??? It definitely brings to question why the correct model has it placed where it is...

Take a look at the pics two pages ago... Notice within the green circle...

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
theprodigy79 said:
Also, regarding the wideband bung... Did anyone else notice that the model I initially received had much better placement of the bung??? It definitely brings to question why the correct model has it placed where it is...

Take a look at the pics two pages ago... Notice within the green circle...

Yeah, it would be nice if they placed the bung further downstream. Maybe it has to do with the clearance on the MK3 underbody? It seems like most places I looked the 02 sensor would need to be clocked quite a bit.

I am going to see how long my first 02 sensor lasts in the provided location. If I had gotten the DP prior to coating, I might have figured out a better place for the bung.

My original plan was going to be placing a bung in a test pipe, but I decided a high flow cat would be better for me.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
ok, here's the pics... somebody should be able to tell what kinda stainless it's made out of by the color...

Mine's a ZW DDP though, but it's the same maker in china... (last pic is the dent I had to put in it so it would stop rubbing on the tranny crossmember, crappy catback is probably to blame for this aswell...)

(ignore the datestamp, just changed the batteries)
p775064_1.jpg

p775064_2.jpg

p775064_3.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
can't see it, I hide it under the stock heatshield

looks fine, it's just bluing and I can clean that right off if I wanted to

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Poodles said:
can't see it, I hide it under the stock heatshield

looks fine, it's just bluing and I can clean that right off if I wanted to

Not saying it looks horrible (or that it mattered if it did) - I'm just really happy I did mine.

Speaking of which - what's the best way to clean that off - I have a motorcycle exhaust that looks similar I want to clean.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I forgot LOL

I remember one of my cousins having this stainless steal polish that removed the bluing, sprayed it on and wiped it off and it was gone...

I'd have to look up some motorcycle supplies, but it exists for cars as well (eastwood might carry something like that)

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
dugums said:
Glad I had mine coated :icon_razz :biglaugh:

I really like how your DDP came out with the coating.

** Slightly off-topic**

Question: The coating will really decrease the heat in the engine bay does it do anything for rust??

I saw someone coat their catback exhaust (think it's on this forum also) and was wondering what are the benefits of that?

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
nokills said:
Its good, especially for the price. The first time I drove the car with it on the sound scared me, i thought i had a huge exhaust leak:biglaugh:. I cant tell if the car feels any stronger since i put it on, mainly because my car was bogging horrible before and after i put the ddp on. I advanced my timing 5 degree and now the car drive smoother. One thing I can say is that the car runs richer since the day I put the DP and change the manifold gasket. The zt-2 wideband reads as low as 9.80 at WOT. I dont think that has anything to do with the DP tho.

I also had another o2 bung welded lower down the DP after the flex pipe, the one that came already welded on is too close to the turbo.

ahhhh c'mon does even the recirulated one still sound like an exhaust leak? that's somethin i definitely won't have happening. i guess i'll just get the standard BIC DP.

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
87mgte said:
ahhhh c'mon does even the recirulated one still sound like an exhaust leak? that's somethin i definitely won't have happening. i guess i'll just get the standard BIC DP.

i think he was referring to the non recirculated DDP. IIRC you dont hear it on a recirculated one.