Dare to race your Supra against a ZX14?

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
nosechunks;931705 said:
Bottom line is any bike is as fast and as dangerous as the rider. Saying someone has more of a chance to kill themselves on a busa or zx14 then a 600 or even a 250 ninja is ridiculous. Any bike can go fast enough to result in a deadly accident if the rider cant control themselves.

That's bullshit.

Some bikes are much less forgiving than other bikes in times when the rider is too hamfisted on the throttle or grabs too much brake or just any case of inexperience in general.

Last edited:

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
gilberjj;931929 said:
It’s also very clear to me you have little to no riding experience.

yeah dude, i haven't personally been riding for the past 7+ years and rebuilding wrecks reselling them at the rate of 2-3 per year. i've probably owned more motorcycles than you are in years old.

you fail

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
OneJoeZee;931957 said:
That's bullshit.

Some bikes are much less forgiving than other bikes in times when the rider is too hamfisted on the throttle or grabs too much brake or just any case of inexperience in general.

Yea, not sure Ive ever seen a rebel 250 flip over because the rider grabbed the front brake too hard. Sure happens on RR bikes though... Just youtube around a bit and see how the smallest mistake on a 350lb 120hp machine can turn out. I love the guys trying to turn, get a lil too much throttle spin the rear and down they go. Again, a problem a less powerful bike Will Not have.

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
I have lots of experience on wrecking bikes! That is what I learned when I bought my first bike without any prior riding experience. I was even smart enough to keep it at just a 250 too. Even that proved to be dangerous.

It is all the other people on the road.. you can't trust anyone to see you when you are riding a bike... there is just no way.

One other thing to mention that might be very obvious:
Wrecking is quite painful.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
mkiiSupraMan18;931937 said:
Just remember:
EVERYONE is going to pull out in front of you and EVERYONE is going to cut you off.

you got that right! I don't remember how many times I've been cut off and pulled out in front of in a month's time.

Justin727

T-virus infected
I myself can understand where the comfort cards comes into play here. Im not a big bike riding guy. sure its nice and fun but I'd rather stay in my shell of a car.

But riding my buddies kawasaki 600 then also riding my buddies busa there is a big difference in comfort and the way the bike rides. The busa imho is a much smoother bike (touring) and doesnt bounce my balls around too much... After getting off the 600 I sometimes wonder if I'll ever have children agian..

I havent ridden the new zx but if it rides better than the busa does I completly understand why you bought it for comfort.

Good luck with your new bike and be careful. Alot of idiots on the road! ;)

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
OneJoeZee;931957 said:
That's bullshit.

forgiving is one thing, any bike has enough brake to go into a skid or go fast enough to cause a fatal wreck.

Your saying a 250 ninja cant be going to fast for a turn, the rider panics and either grabs too much front brake or cant get the bike to lean enough and wipes out?

your saying a 250 ninja cant be accelerated to a high enough rate of speed that when a car pulls out in front of them causing a crash and the driver is thrown and injured or killed?

Sure maybe the front wheel wont come up as easy preventing flipping back, or lack of power will prevent spinning the tire, but no matter witch way you look at it, your still on two wheels and able to go fast enough to kill yourself.

Ill admit i bought my busa partly because its a busa, 1300cc bad ass machine, but i have enough skill and enough of a brain to know how to ride it safely.

Just because a bike is "forgiving" doesn't mean its safe.

If you ride a bike, you have to be scared of it. the second your not scared of the bike is when you will do something stupid and get hurt.

Safety is in the the rider, saying motorcycles are dangerous is like saying guns are dangerous. By themselves there just objects, but when someone uses them in an unsafe manor, purposely or not, thats when people get hurt.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
This is going to go nowhere. Some people see it one way, the others see it their way. As Ive said, Ive known far to many young guys on high powered machines to know when its not worth arguing about.

Just hope noone financed those liter bikes for 6 years...

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
iwannadie;932046 said:
Just hope noone financed those liter bikes for 6 years...

what!!!???? that $89/month financing isn't a great deal? with liability insurance and payments for 5+ years it sounds great! :biglaugh:

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
selfinfliction;932057 said:
what!!!???? that $89/month financing isn't a great deal? with liability insurance and payments for 5+ years it sounds great! :biglaugh:

haha, when I went into the suzuki dealership, they wanted to finance the entire bike for me at 11% interest on a 6 yr loan. I'm a finance major, and while he was doing all of his fancy talking, I added up all the numbers asked him. Do you know how much I would be paying for this bike over a term of 6 years? of course he said, well I could, uh, and I showed him. It was over 19k dollars. Closer to 20k in fact. I laughed and said, this would be the biggest mistake and dumbest decision I'd ever make. So anyway, I found my bike for a smokin deal. It's an 06, and it was in the crate thurs morning. I got it with 0.5 miles.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
slidebabyslide;931944 said:
Well good luck to you and brake it in right or i will void your warranty.....:sarcasm:
Break in is for pussies. I left the lot when I bought my gsxr(8th bike) on the rear tire...lol. I rode it straight home, changed the oil, rode it another hundred miles, changed the oil again... and called it broke in. It went 18k miles just as strong as the day it was new. Ran consistant quarter mile times throughout the time I owned it for 4 years. It also had a bit more power (7.5 more hp on a dyno) than another stock gsxr that was broken in "properly"

And, I have always shifted my sportbikes clutchless and have NEVER hurt a trans. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it doesn't if you know how to properly do it. I guess I do, since I went high 9's on a stock height, stock swingarm, minorly modded 04 750.

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
i have an 86 honda vfr500 that ive ridden a few times, and i think a stock supra would have trouble even keeping up with that lol. and thats only 75 hp!

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
gixxer750;932135 said:
Break in is for pussies. I left the lot when I bought my gsxr(8th bike) on the rear tire...lol. I rode it straight home, changed the oil, rode it another hundred miles, changed the oil again... and called it broke in. It went 18k miles just as strong as the day it was new. Ran consistant quarter mile times throughout the time I owned it for 4 years. It also had a bit more power (7.5 more hp on a dyno) than another stock gsxr that was broken in "properly"

And, I have always shifted my sportbikes clutchless and have NEVER hurt a trans. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it doesn't if you know how to properly do it. I guess I do, since I went high 9's on a stock height, stock swingarm, minorly modded 04 750.

after reading on a zx forum, I'd have to agree with you. bikes make more power when you ride them harder then the factory encourages. I believe the clutch and tranny needs to be broken in a little, but that is done within a couple hundred miles. Brocks performance (one of the biggest names for zx14's and hayabusa's) did an extensive writeup about breaking in motorcycle engines. He said after dynoing hundreds of bikes, those that were broken in "properly" by the factory's standards always made less horsepower. From what I read, take it easy for the first 50 miles. Then from 50-100 miles, do a LOT of brisk acceleration about 2/3's the way up the rev range and then let off and let the compression of the engine slow the bike down. That creates a lot of vacuum and is good for a new engine. Also, they said to never hold a new engine at a constant rpm for long. Always change load and rpm, up and down, up and down..... after 100 miles, it's good to go. I've got 250 miles on mine, and I still shift easy, and I don't do prolonged pulls yet. I'm sure I could, but it gives me peace of mind. ;)

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
mototuneusa.com ...

you know the first thing that happens at the factory? All engines are run to operating temp, and then bounced off the limiter to ensure that they won't blow up between your legs. lol

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
nosechunks;932039 said:
forgiving is one thing, any bike has enough brake to go into a skid or go fast enough to cause a fatal wreck.

Your saying a 250 ninja cant be going to fast for a turn, the rider panics and either grabs too much front brake or cant get the bike to lean enough and wipes out?

your saying a 250 ninja cant be accelerated to a high enough rate of speed that when a car pulls out in front of them causing a crash and the driver is thrown and injured or killed?

Sure maybe the front wheel wont come up as easy preventing flipping back, or lack of power will prevent spinning the tire, but no matter witch way you look at it, your still on two wheels and able to go fast enough to kill yourself.

Ill admit i bought my busa partly because its a busa, 1300cc bad ass machine, but i have enough skill and enough of a brain to know how to ride it safely.

Just because a bike is "forgiving" doesn't mean its safe.

If you ride a bike, you have to be scared of it. the second your not scared of the bike is when you will do something stupid and get hurt.

Safety is in the the rider, saying motorcycles are dangerous is like saying guns are dangerous. By themselves there just objects, but when someone uses them in an unsafe manor, purposely or not, thats when people get hurt.

I never said someone can't be hurt on an EX250.

Point is, you're trying to tell me all bikes are basically equal in the hands of the rider and that's just not true. Maybe you took on this viewpoint to justify your 'Busa as your first bike(it is, right?). It's your life and your bike, you don't have to convince me why you're riding your specific bike. But don't tell me riding a Suzuki GSX Hayabusa 1300R is basically the same as riding a Kawasaki EX250. It's not.

That's like saying, "well, you could die in a car wreck in any car. That's why I have a 800hp Supra as my first car."

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
OneJoeZee;932203 said:
I never said someone can't be hurt on an EX250.

Point is, you're trying to tell me all bikes are basically equal in the hands of the rider and that's just not true. Maybe you took on this viewpoint to justify your 'Busa as your first bike(it is, right?). It's your life and your bike, you don't have to convince me why you're riding your specific bike. But don't tell me riding a Suzuki GSX Hayabusa 1300R is basically the same as riding a Kawasaki EX250. It's not.

That's like saying, "well, you could die in a car wreck in any car. That's why I have a 800hp Supra as my first car."

You can a fall off a 5 foot wide bridge and you can fall off a tight rope. They must be equally challenging to walk across. :naughty:

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
gixxer750;932135 said:

yeah, i wish peple could understand this. if they are just learning, start between 4,5,6 then move down to the lower gears. 1-2 should be the last shift you practice with, becuase it is the easiest one to bend your forks/drum