cant rev past 2k rpm when driving

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
thats what i was thinking of doing today. thanks :)

-shaeff

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
take a look at your plugs. if its leaning out you will see it. instead of a nice tan color they will be white. when my pump was going out i blew one HG and started to melt the electrode on the number 5 plug.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i dont think that i'm leaning it out long enough to actually make the white, as i'm running pig rich at idle, but leaning out when i rev it, then it cuts out and i cant rev anymore. (read: the plugs are black from running rich) but it only 'leans out' for a split second until the rpm drops because there's no fuel there...

in any case, i'll check those tomorrow as well. thanks :)

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
pull the spark plugs and see if they're wet from fuel. check the 7.5A IGN fuse in the driver's side kick panel, as well as the EFI fuse in engine bay fuse box. jump B+ and FP in the diagnostic block and listen if you hear your fuel pump turn on (listen by the gas filler neck)

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
well, to update my situation. it's not the fuel pump as i had thought i narrowed it down to. i replaced my new pump which i believed to be dead out of the box (spinning too slowly to maintain fuel pressure) and replaced it w/ a new wally. same symptoms. i checked the fuel filter, (its brand new anyway) and it appears fine when looking through it.

so, i guess i'll try to put my stock FPR back on tomorrow, and if that's not it, then the ONLY things left would be an obstruction in the SS braided fuel lines i assembled, (doubtful, as i checked and re-checked them, as well as blew them out with an air compressor) or somehow the injectors are outflowing the fuel pump ??

well, i suppose i'll check back in tomorrow with an update, again. :(

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
*UPDATE*

well, i tried putting my old fuel pressure regulator on, and there's no obstruction in the fuel lines that i can see. so i've checked/replaced everything except the injectors. now my question is, if injectors are stuck open/seized/ whatever, could they outflow a walbro fuel pump?

SO, it's not the fuel pump, not the filter, not the fuel pressure regluator, not lack of voltage (getting 12v at the pump), and not the fuel lines. that leaves the injectors...

but my fuel pressure drops from 32psi with vacuum on (about 40psi no vacuum) to 10psi when i rev the motor.

does anyone have any more suggestions before i pull apart my fuel rail?

thanks,

-shaeff

stevevangst

1000HP club
May 24, 2005
tulsa
shaeff said:
*UPDATE*

well, i tried putting my old fuel pressure regulator on, and there's no obstruction in the fuel lines that i can see. so i've checked/replaced everything except the injectors. now my question is, if injectors are stuck open/seized/ whatever, could they outflow a walbro fuel pump?

SO, it's not the fuel pump, not the filter, not the fuel pressure regluator, not lack of voltage (getting 12v at the pump), and not the fuel lines. that leaves the injectors...

but my fuel pressure drops from 32psi with vacuum on (about 40psi no vacuum) to 10psi when i rev the motor.

does anyone have any more suggestions before i pull apart my fuel rail?

thanks,

-shaeff

dude.....me and you are in the same boat I tell you :aigo: SOOOOO.....WANT TO BURN THAT SUXER DOWN ALREADY LOL.....If I didn't love my supra as much as I did I would of easy said THE HELL WITH IT. But in my case I can't give them up this easy.....got to keep working them bugs out bro....i'm still at it after $700 into it the last time I posted here.

wideband =$500
new fpr =$170
new plugs =$60

:nono: SUPRA VS STEVE
SUPRAS 10. STEVE 0. LOL

GOOD LUCK MAN.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
shaeff's supra- eleventy billion

shaeff- negative eleventy billion, and one.

another update:

i replaced my stainless steel braided feed hose that replaced the fuel pulsation dampener with the origional setup (the FPD and steel line) and nothing changed.

so, i've checked/replaced the fuel pump, filter, feed line to fuel rail, return line/ fuel pressure regulator, voltage at pump is 12v, so i've literally checked everything except the injectors...

-shaeff

stevevangst

1000HP club
May 24, 2005
tulsa
shaeff said:

another update:

i replaced my stainless steel braided feed hose that replaced the fuel pulsation dampener with the origional setup (the FPD and steel line) and nothing changed.

so, i've checked/replaced the fuel pump, filter, feed line to fuel rail, return line/ fuel pressure regulator, voltage at pump is 12v, so i've literally checked everything except the injectors...

-shaeff

hehehe

bro, try this, pull off your vac line that goes into it and plug it up, then run a extra line, another line from a differ vac nipple, like the one on the back of the mani, do you understand? maybe it might be your vpv or vsv someshit like that, I know I had a problem with that once, give that a shot and see what happends, I dout it's your injectors....

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
yet ANOTHER update:

my GOD this car is KILLING me!!!

steve, i've tried multiple vacuum sources. even without the vacuum line my pressure should AT LEAST remain constant. many people run w/o the vacuum line.

i too, doubt it's my injectors. there's really no way that they could outflow the wally pump! (which is brand new, again)

however, i pulled one of the clips off an injector, and recorded the P/N. i called RC engineering, and they said its a: "universal low impedance 550cc injector" but couldnt give me a name brand for it.

NOW, i'm damn anal about stuff like this. i want REAL RC's, so what did my stupid self do? i bought some! haha. they'll be here tomorrow. (doubt they'll fix my problem, but then i can be ABSOLUTELY sure)

i spoke with dr. jonez, and told him i was getting 12v to the pump, as measured with a multimeter, and he says i should use the stock wires to run a relay with 10gauge or so wire running to the pump. that way it ensures a good solid 12v without any fluctuation, which it COULD be doing when i rev the motor, i suppose.

so, on tomorrow's agenda:

put in brand new RC engineering 550's, and rewire my fuel pump using a relay that i had origionally bought to re-wire my fog lights with. i suppose i'll see how it goes, and report back, as usual.

thanks for all the help thus far!
we'll get this sucker in proper running order, or my name aint... wait, what the hell is my name? i think i sold it to buy supra parts. :(

-shaeff'sbroke

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
so, i put in the RC 550's, and as i expected, the problem is still here. no reving, fuel pressure drops.

i also re-wired the fuel pump using the stock wires to power a relay. got some nice thick wire running fromt the battery to power the pump, and the pump ground is now grounded to a good chassis ground.

i had my brother watch my multimeter when i rev the motor, and the said that the relay clicks again (meaning it shuts off) when i blip the throttle. so i ran some wire to a switched IGN source in the car to power the relay instead of the stock wires, and wired the relay ground to the same good chassis ground as the pump.

now the relay doesnt shut off when i rev the motor, i can REALLY hear the pump running now, it's nice and loud, BUT, i still cant rev without the fuel pressure dropping.

maybe both my Aeromotive AFPR and stock FPR are dead and not keeping pressure when i rev the motor? i'm really at a loss here. i feel i've exhausted all my resources, and still cant figure out the problem. :(

also, now for some reason there is NO power in my car unless i have a battery charger on the battery. if i hook up the charger, everything is fine, and works how it's supposed to. but if i unhook the battery, i dont even get any interior lights. i checked all fuses, and they're all good.

my battery is putting out about 13v. (tested w/ a multimeter) could it be that fusible link in the engine bay fuse box?

thanks for taking the time to read this thus far.

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
IJ. : yeah, i set my fuel rail back up like stock, except for the 550's. (i put on both the stock FPD/hardline, and the stock FPR/return line)

problem still occurs.

it is quite fascinating, except i really want my car to run! :(

-shaeff

stevevangst

1000HP club
May 24, 2005
tulsa
shaeff said:
IJ. : yeah, i set my fuel rail back up like stock, except for the 550's. (i put on both the stock FPD/hardline, and the stock FPR/return line)

problem still occurs.

it is quite fascinating, except i really want my car to run! :(

-shaeff

bro, I got my 600whp supra fix. lol hahaha i'm so happy I went out today and did a crazy burnout that was like 200ft or more long. lol.....guess what it was the dumbest thing too, "spark plug wires"

FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD FUK MSD

YEA fu$k em, they sux DO NOT GET MSD PLUG WIRES, they are hell and suck at hight boost.....yes they are bigger but worth shit, I bought some new plugs and wires "ngk" and ofcouse was being smart saying ah that can't be my problem and bomb I went around the block boosting it, I was like HOLLY SHIT.....lol so happy man words cant say it all.......

bro man check the dumbest things, it can be it...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
well, i have MSD 8mm spark plug wires, but i dont think they'd make me lose fuel pressure. haha. i've heard nothing but bad about them, perhaps it's time for new ones.. again...

the only burning out i'm doing, is exhausting my f'in brain trying to figure out what the hell this could be!? glad you got it goin, steve!

-shaeff

stevevangst

1000HP club
May 24, 2005
tulsa
shaeff said:
the only burning out i'm doing, is exhausting my f'in brain trying to figure out what the hell this could be!? glad you got it goin, steve!

-shaeff

thanks man, don't worry bro, you'll come it it one day and be like, let's try this once and forall, and as soon as you know it, your on the road boosting again, I already done gave up and that was the last thing I was going to do, and guess what it work....keep trying man, you'll get it, it's gotta be something supit and dumb that your not even thinking about. try thinking about the dumbest things it might just be it.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I rather doubt this could be it, but just for reference in case someone else runs into a similar problem in the future.

A wrench head friend of mine had the same symptoms, and he told the the story behind it when I asked him what could be the problem here. Turns out that some tow truck driver had managed to crimp his fuel hardline when picking up or dropping the car. Of course, his shop didn't figure this out until they had replaced the entire fuel system without solving anything.