cant rev past 2k rpm when driving

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i have my fuel pump driven by a relay that's powered by the stock wires, with 10 gauge wire coming right from the battery.

man does that thing "whir"!

-shaeff

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I am waiting for it to quit raining over there so you can run an exterior (test) fuel line like I suggested.

After having re-read this thread (in it's entirety) I think it's your most obvious course of action. It may or may not solve the problem but it seems like the most logical place to start and let's face it...at some point you have to eliminate fuel delivery as the possible problem. I think that's the easiest way to do it.

I eagerly wait to hear how it comes out. As always, good luck!

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Shaef, try running power wires straight from the batery to the pump. No relay, just a fuse. So as soon as you put in the fuse, the pump is on. no ign, no relay, just battery, fuse, pump, ground. Then start the car and see. If it still dies, you have a pinched/ clogged line between the pump and the rail.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Can it possible a airlock?

I mean isn't our fuel system vented somewhere so the fuel can flow smoothly?
What if it blocked and not allowing the fuel to flow at its capacity.

You know maybe a breather somewhere is blocked or clogged ??
Jst like blocking one end of a pipe and trying to pull fluid from the other end??

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
probably not airlock, considering that i get fuel to the front of the car, just not ENOUGH to rev the motor. it idles nice.

i'll try powering the pump directly with just a fused wire, and another lead. we'll see if that changes anything.

that being said, today was beautiful outside, like 60* and partly sunny, but i helped my dad put heat tape on the roof/gutters of our house to prevent snow buildup this winter. i dont want the 'ol man on the roof alone. ;) (it's a high mo-fo in the back of the house!)

so, tomorrow, rain or shine, i'm going to try to get those wires hooked up, as well as the hardline blown out with 120psi from the air compressor, and get my new fuel hoses and filter on. wish me luck! :: crosses fingers ::

-shaeff

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Shaeff: please try it with both a + and a - all the way to the battery just so it rules out dodgy wiring.
(If you have a spare charged battery sit it in the hatch to keep the wires short)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
IJ. said:
Shaeff: please try it with both a + and a - all the way to the battery just so it rules out dodgy wiring.
(If you have a spare charged battery sit it in the hatch to keep the wires short)

i tried that. still no luck. dodgy wiring is out of the question. but, sir, please do read on. infact, everyone who's been following this thread, please, read on. you will NOT be disappointed!

IJ. said:
Shaeff: I read this each day in hope of the "AHAAAA" moment when you finally sort it!

today, sir, is that day!!! AHAAAA!!!!eleven!!!!one!!! uno!!!!

well, just as many of us have come to suspect, it was a ridiculously clogged fuel line. i have brand new ones, so i'm putting them on regardless, just for piece of mind. (now my entire fuel system is BRAND NEW!)

i have pictures, i'll post them up later tonight. i havent gotten it back together, but when you guys see this, you wont friggin believe how clogged they are! a family of spiders must have made a nest in one of my fuel lines overnight when was doing the filter install. (forgot to stuff a rag in the fuel line, my bad:() it looks like the remains of several spiders. (probably why that wolfe spider living in my hatch/liscense plate area is so pissed! :p)

there was also a large chunk of (spider remains?) something in my fuel filter, a BRAND new one! those hairy little bastards! i'll post update pics later.

thank you all for your valuable contributions. :) i really do appreciate it!:drink1:

-shaeff :burnout:

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
Congrats Shaeff, I've been following the thread and glad to see you got it figured out. Damn those little spider bastards!!!!!!1

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
WOW !

Low FP from Spiderage ;)!
Can't imagine why they thought it a good place to live!
(would still reek of fuel)(I suspect Gov involvement black choppers and all that get a tinfoil hat and anti spider kit) (so happy you've sorted it Shaeff)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
thanks guys.

lagged: if i get minor issues sorted (if they're still there) sorted out, then i sure hope to be there! i'm free that day, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

-shaeff :)

i'll have to downsize the pics i took, as they're too big for the forum to let me upload:( perhaps later tonight, as i'm in a rush right now.

-shaeff

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
thanks. i still have some issues to sort out though... not sure exactly what the causes are yet, but here's the problem:

with everything hooked up, i get no power to anything. i put a battery charger on, and it fired right up. no problem. (by the way, i can rev it right to redline now if i wish, boy i still love the sound of the BIC ddp running open :drool: )

SO, i took the battery charger off, and it idled for a little while, then died. now even with the battery charger on, the beeper when you first turn on the ignition sounds like a cheeping bird. wtf? then i turn the key and my tach jumps to 2k rpm, and i hear all kinds of relay clicking, then i just get the sound of the starter buzzing. (sounds like its TRYING to engage)

could that just be a dead battery? or grounds? i know my battery is pretty toasted, but that doesnt explain why i get all the odd noises even WITH the charger, does it?

that all being said, my car never had many grounds on it, even before the turbo swap. all i have for ground wires from the battery are: one from the battery - to the fender, and one from the battery to the block.

the only positive leads i have: one to the starter, and one powering my fuel pump (FP driven by a relay)

so, any input on that would be greatly appreciated. if i get this sorted out, and the high RPM miss (probably fouled plug(s) ), then the car should be good to go, with a little cleanup and re-wiring.

-shaeff

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
shaeff said:
thanks. i still have some issues to sort out though... not sure exactly what the causes are yet, but here's the problem:

with everything hooked up, i get no power to anything. i put a battery charger on, and it fired right up. no problem. (by the way, i can rev it right to redline now if i wish, boy i still love the sound of the BIC ddp running open :drool: )

SO, i took the battery charger off, and it idled for a little while, then died. now even with the battery charger on, the beeper when you first turn on the ignition sounds like a cheeping bird. wtf? then i turn the key and my tach jumps to 2k rpm, and i hear all kinds of relay clicking, then i just get the sound of the starter buzzing. (sounds like its TRYING to engage)

could that just be a dead battery? or grounds? i know my battery is pretty toasted, but that doesnt explain why i get all the odd noises even WITH the charger, does it?

that all being said, my car never had many grounds on it, even before the turbo swap. all i have for ground wires from the battery are: one from the battery - to the fender, and one from the battery to the block.

the only positive leads i have: one to the starter, and one powering my fuel pump (FP driven by a relay)

so, any input on that would be greatly appreciated. if i get this sorted out, and the high RPM miss (probably fouled plug(s) ), then the car should be good to go, with a little cleanup and re-wiring.

-shaeff

When I would try to start my car with the battery charger attached to the car my lights would go on for no reason and I would hear the relays click. Don't think its good. Have you checked your alternator? Is your battery dead, will it hold a charge.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
shaeff said:
i tried that. still no luck. dodgy wiring is out of the question. but, sir, please do read on. infact, everyone who's been following this thread, please, read on. you will NOT be disappointed!

hahah, nice man... you got owned by a spider... now more reasons to kill that bas%$#%&*. lol :biglaugh:

Glad your issue is resolved and you can eventually enjoy your car .

today, sir, is that day!!! AHAAAA!!!!eleven!!!!one!!! uno!!!!

well, just as many of us have come to suspect, it was a ridiculously clogged fuel line. i have brand new ones, so i'm putting them on regardless, just for piece of mind. (now my entire fuel system is BRAND NEW!)

i have pictures, i'll post them up later tonight. i havent gotten it back together, but when you guys see this, you wont friggin believe how clogged they are! a family of spiders must have made a nest in one of my fuel lines overnight when was doing the filter install. (forgot to stuff a rag in the fuel line, my bad:() it looks like the remains of several spiders. (probably why that wolfe spider living in my hatch/liscense plate area is so pissed! :p)

there was also a large chunk of (spider remains?) something in my fuel filter, a BRAND new one! those hairy little bastards! i'll post update pics later.

thank you all for your valuable contributions. :) i really do appreciate it!:drink1:

-shaeff :burnout:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
sweet. new battery for me tomorrow:) then i just have to smooth out the idle a little bit, then drain the oil after i take her for a drive, and flush the water out of the cooling system, and refill with synthetic and antifreeze, and i'm good to go.

then comes cleaning it, after it's been my oversized storage tub for the past 9 months!

here's som pics of what was in my fuel lines!!!

1) the clogged banjo fitting, as you can see, the hole is completely blocked, i cant believe i got ANY fuel!?

2) a pic of the debris that came out of the banjo fitting. there was another piece that took 120psi from my air compressor to blow out of the line. it was compressed so much it looked like guinee pig food! i couldnt believe it. (it held back 120psi of air for like two seconds before it popped out! that piece got blown away by the wind after i removed it, so i dont have a pic of it:( (just picture guinee pig food, it looked identical!)

-shaeff

Attachments

• banjo2.JPG
    banjo2.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 53
  • clog.JPG
    clog.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 46

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
9-26-05

suprabad said:
you are on the right track with checking the fuel lines....... it sucked up a bunch of crap off the bottom of the tank and clogged up a feed and a return line under the car. Took me a month to figure it out cause I was looking at all the complicated stuff and overlooked the small stuff.

9-27-05

suprabad said:
What about just running temporary (for diagnostic puposes only) fuel in and return lines just to see if it alleviates the problem.

In other words get like 20' of fuel line and just run it out board (preferably along the same route as the suspect permanent line) and see if the car runs properly. This way you'll know if the hard fuel lines on the car are the problem with a minimum of work...make sense?

9-30-05

suprabad said:
Have you tried my idea of running some temporary fuel line to see if it alleviates the problem? It's a cheap and easy test and will save a ton of money and time and at least you'll know if it is or isn't fuel line.

10-14-05

suprabad said:
am waiting for it to quit raining over there so you can run an exterior (test) fuel line like I suggested.

After having re-read this thread (in it's entirety) I think it's your most obvious course of action. It may or may not solve the problem but it seems like the most logical place to start and let's face it...at some point you have to eliminate fuel delivery as the possible problem. I think that's the easiest way to do it.

What can I say...it's a gift... congrats!

BY THE WAY, THE PROBLEM WITH YOUR ELECTRICAL IS THE BATTERY HAS AN INTERNAL DEAD SHORT.

:icon_razz

Last edited: