BosoMKII's project! 56k cut your head off

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
HOORAY PARTS

I love shopping but I hate spending money! Got some new stuff in the mail today.

p298129_1.jpg

One Griffen radiator, one Summit racing lift pump, one MSD inline pump, 10 ft of oil hose, and one Summit racing ball cap. Not pictured is my new oil cooler that shipped separately.

I took a good long look at the gas tank ( about 45 seconds ) and decided that I don't have the tools, the skill, nor the desire to cut up the gas tank in order to drop in the stock Supra pump. So I am going with the dual pump set up. Being that the tank is designed to have fuel drawn out of it at low pressure, you need the old fashion type of fuel pump that can pull out of the tank. That is the lift pump. Then you need to step up the pressure to modern EFI pressures, that is the job of the inline. This is the more expensive route to take that I didn't want to do initially, but I think this will be a more clean and reliable setup in the long run. Plus it will supply all the fuel I could ever need! ( Turbo, No2, whatever the future has in store for this old car )

The long hose is for the oil cooler obviously, but you know I am going for that Bosozuku/Yanky style so long hose will be a must coming out from behind the grill.

I didn't order the hat. They threw that in because I just dumped so much money on them. Anyone have a dog that needs a chew toy?

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Oh man I still have a lot left to do. Everything you see in the picture, plus still have some wiring to do. Still have not mounted the transmission. Its now become the last month and a half or so of not having been able to spend time on the project.
Thanks for your interest!

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
You would go mass external oil cooler...
I'm envious. Can't wait to see it. Progress is progress man! however slow it may be. as long as you're still interested in the project. that's all that matters.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Dunno, I will go have a look at my 2M block today. I am going to try and get some work done. Looks like the spot where the vacume sensing canaster goes on the 7M?

I did not know that Capt'n Crunch was even that old!

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
3p141592654 said:
I love this project.

I am hoping you might be able to solve a bit of trivia. The M blocks have a flat surface machined on them as shown below. No one seems to know why. Was it used for anything on the 2M motor?

the only thing I can think of is when I was parting out my 7M-GE the flat surface was bolted to some sort of actuator or something (it was big and round lol) attatched the the VSV that controlled the butterfly valve in the manifold. Why that would be used on the 2M though is COMPLETELY beyond me...

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
I don't think it's attached to anything guys. The vacuum canister goes into a bracket that's connected around where the motor mounts are (I'm a bit fuzzy on this as it's been a mont since I tore mine down). 3p's got a point, it doesn't seem to serve any purpose on the 7m. Or the 5m, if I recall correctly!

I'll have a look today and let you know!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
3p141592654: I went and had a look at the 2M block. What is bolted to that spot is a 5 inch tall cylinder that is about 1 inch in diameter. Near the top, sticking out the side is a nipple with a rubber hose attached. I think it must have been the crank case ventilator, and the hose would have gone to the underside of the intake manifold. I didn't bring my camera today which is too bad, because I made PROGRESS!!! YEAH!

Todays task was to get the stupid tranny up. The problem looks a bit like this: Where the W58 mount bolts up is about an inch and a half from where the old tranny bolted to the crossmember. Unfortunately, that is where the e-brake bolts to the car, so I could not just move where the old crossmember bolted to the tub. My buddy came over to help and we got the crossmember for the old transmission cut enough to accept the fat belly of the W58. Then I made a super trick custom transmission mount out of an old Nike Air shoe that my brother donated to the cause.

Yes. You read right. My tranny mount is essentially a shoe stuffed in the space between the belly of the W58 and the old tranny crossmember, then bolted up tight.

Very temporary. I have to take the car to have something proper made, but this is an essential step in finishing the car!

The good news is that as I had hoped, the stock MX12 drive shaft slipped right into the end of the W58 and went right back into its stock location. Done!

Then me and my buddy got to work fitting the radiator. Lucky for me, not only is he a mechanical engineer student with access to a race car fabrication shop, but he knows a another student who is good at welding aluminum and will make the brackets for me! So we used some strips of steel and mocked up the mounts and marked off where to weld. Its a tight fit! Going to have to use a pusher type electric fan on the front of the radiator.

Now that the engine is sitting where it should, I turned my attention to the throttle body. Thankfully, my Supra was an auto and came with three different throttle plate manipulation options! The MX12 uses an old fashion linkage type, you push down on the throttle pedal and it in turn pushes up on a linkage that in turn twists another link, attached to a third and final link that at last pushes open the throttle. The 2M carb linkages line up perfectly to the 7M! All I have to do is make a bracket to hold the middle linkage that rotates in place. Crazy.

Sorry I don't have pics! Maybe I can swing by there tomorrow and take a few.
It sure does feel good to have made some progress after all this time!

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
That's awesome Boso! I'm also glad to see Toyota has kept things simple between so many car generations. Makes me think my swap will be a bit easier than what I'm expecting.

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Thanks Micky! Yeah man you will be fine. I think the thing is to just take your time, and ask for help when you need it!
Little things can seem so frustrating and impossible to get around, but then you will just wake up one morning to realize you thought of the solution!

I am going to go look in on your thread, because I have not in a while, sorry! How are things coming along?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Cool, that makes sense. Sounds like its probably a PCV oil-trap that bolts there and drains back into the crankcase. I wish they still used it on the 7M, would keep all the black PCV gunge from coating the intake.

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
I need to post some minor updates but nothing much has been going on. Been trying to scrounge up some money to pay for machining and parts!

I'll leave this thread to your progress and go post some updates on mine!

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Here are a few photos of the recent progress:
My super trick ultra custom Nike Air tranny mount
p302624_1.jpg

Tight fit!
p302624_2.jpg

Todays progress consisted of this gin and tonic.

p302624_3.jpg

Well actually, I polished two more after that, then we got pizza and watched a documetry about Moto GP. It was rad. Nicky Hayden won.

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Nice work! I'm so loving that nike mod too!

Your intake manifold looks rediculously clean, actually it all does! What did you do to obtain that sort of finish?

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Thanks guys. The intake mani I cleaned with carb cleaner. I didn't use that much, just a squirt then wipe off with a clean rag. I spent a lot of time cleaning that engine once it was out of the Supra. Mostly Simple Green because carb cleaner is just so poisonous. Its really horrible stuff.