Bluechulappa's 89Turbo restoration

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Thats a little on the low side, but then again the stock gauge isnt exactly a precision instrument. How many washers did you shim the pump with?

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
JDMMA70;1246455 said:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Just the pump shimmed. My oil pressure is not the red line it's exactly the same as the needle pictured in this pic. So it would be normal then.

I think I have a boost leak though? Help me out guys...
Stock ct26 with stock wg hose connected (No boost controller)
3" DDP re-circulated
3" full exhaust no cats
Apexi intake

I hit fuel cut like crazy and even hit fuel cut at 4,000rpm in 5th gear??!!!

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Check your IC hoses for holes, my guess is since i know i put the LOWER IC hose on tight, it should be ok unless the hose got ripped when the engine sat on it, would be to check the line for the BOV.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Ya thats pretty normal, if you would have shimmed the second relief valve you would have 20+ at idle. As for the fuel cut, check all connections and if you cant find it make a plug with a hook up for a compressor and pressurize the system and listen for leaks. Its possible your system is just free flowing enough to hit fuel cut on its own but doubtful.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
This past week I have enjoyed driving her! Some brand new oem parts came along the way...
New 89 shift knob and grey door sills.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Kinda dusty...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

What is it? Wait... No!... It can't be...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

New rear sun shade vs old painted one
New
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Old
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Old one for sale! No rips tears
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
OK you are starting to make me feel jealous

I didnt know you could still buy that rear blind thingy sunshade new

I got new door sills but they were only available in shadow grey ex Japan

Also extremely jealous that you have a car in one piece that you can drive

Nice work man keep it up

Is that the original 89 stereo in your car?

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
7M-GTE sticker FTW!

I've bought a new part too but it is on its way from Japan.

I wouldnt be surprised if you already have replaced this part on your car but we'll see!

So have you racked up many miles on the new motor?

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
I think I have around 350miles on the motor so far. I plan to take it on a small road trip next week.

Thanks Jay, yea it looks nice. My old one didn't really look to bad cause we had it painted grey so it looks fairly good.

Anyways I have a lot of new stuff to put on within the week. I'm finally going to put my under engine cover on since I have no leaks!

sirgeorgee

Mar 3, 2008
Hungary
Beautiful engine,nice rebuild,great car

I really like the new rear sun shade.Can I ask you where did you get it from and how much was it brand new?

Very nice build ,keep updates and pictures coming :biglaugh:

Just went through your thread, and I have to say, that is one nice Supra! I've also combated a BHG and RK in the same order and just got mine running too. My oil pressure gauge rested at the same place, sometimes lower, but when I put a mechanical gauge directly in the port I was getting around 18 psi at idle and I have a new OEM pump shimmed 4mm with a non-shimmed filter housing too. I'm hearing a tapping noise from the engine, but listening to your videos and some others it seems Supras just normally do it.... I think.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
UH OH! We have a PROBLEM... Before TX2k9 :aigo:

This must have been the whining noise coming from my engine... Notice the tensioner pulled crooked? It's loose and the belt has been shredding up!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

2nd problem is that my control arm rubber sock things are finally failing..
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Both sides
sm_photo_missing.jpg

And my worst problem is this (bottom of PS pump)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

The fluid doesnt look to be running from further up. HELP!?!?

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Ok, so nothing catastrophic. Tensioner puller is the biggest deal, fix it. The rest is small potatoes. I've got one of those rubber boots split completely in half also and has been for years, according to previous owner. My PS still drips on occasion. Fix the tensioner and worry about the rest after 2k9. Keep a drip pan under it so your parents won't get pissed off for it leaking on that purty garage floor.