Bluechulappa's 89Turbo restoration

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
*UPDATE- Took the head to scroggins yest. monday. Should have it back today tue!

Going to order my MHG as soon as I figure out what thickness I need!
Driftmotion Stainless steel braided turbo lines on their way!
In the process of buying a driftmotion 57 trim turbo locally!
Looks like I will be getting some parts powder coated soon or I will be buying my own powder coating setup!

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
*UPDATE- Scroggins called... NEWS not good at all!:cry:

Bobby from scroggins called and gave me the double dose of horrific news this morning. The head had been previously shaved with a BELT SANDER! WHAT!!!
Yup, thats right.:3d_frown: Belt sander had been used in the past and the front of the head was 22 thousandths below minimum spec while the rear of the head was 10 thousandths below minimum spec. My compression must have been pretty high when it was running:aigo:

At this point I was already thinking SHIT! This head is a goner, then Bobby delivered the double blow. The valves were leaking very badly in the pressure test that they did.

So Bobby gave me a choice, rebuild the head and use a very thick head gasket to lower the compression. Or to try and find a better head and scrap this one! I'm choosing option two since to much of the material has been removed from the head. It would be pointless to rebuild this head if the surface material is already below minimum spec.

My dad already made a call in town trying to locate a head! So hopefully we can locate one for a great price! :icon_mad:

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
You can have my old one but you will face similar problems.... You need to do the valve job and you also need to resurface it to minumum specs.... You can have mine as a last resort.... But I am sure and hope you find something good. Good Luck... :D

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
UPDATE*

Bought a new head from a local guy here on the forums! Looks good, already been decked and hot tanked. Also picked up a brand new HKS 2.0mm headgasket from the guy as well.

Driftmotion turbo oil feed lines came in yesterday. Looks great but missing the CNC machined piece that fits on the block that the AN fitting screws into. Aaron said I should have it tomorrow!

New head minus cams n shit!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

2mm hks mhg
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Some free aem cam gears... I'll use these for decoration in my garage!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Oil feed lines
sm_photo_missing.jpg

And finally a shot of my work space with my beautiful daily driver in the background!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Id be happy to take those free cam gears off your hands:naughty: They could decorate my motor instead of your garage lol.

Everything looks good, glad to hear you scored another head so quickly.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
GC89;1214747 said:
Id be happy to take those free cam gears off your hands:naughty: They could decorate my motor instead of your garage lol.

Everything looks good, glad to hear you scored another head so quickly.

Well the problem is that one of the cam gears is FUBAR. Needs welding and then I'm not sure it would even work. I'll try and get a better pic to show you what I mean.

Patch

Aug 25, 2008
Houston
To fix that cam gear, you just gotta get it re-welded up and have a new hole drilled through. Like I said, I gave them to you because they were just paper weights in my garage, already ordered new Fidanza gears for the motor I'm building.

GL with the build!

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Did a couple things today cause I got bored...
This is where you put the 5mm worth of washers in right? To shim the oil pump? They need to fit into the bolt? or around the out side? Just wanna make sure everything is correct with the oiling!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I dunno why I had been putting off cleaning the bracket and putting new hoses on it?
Before: Yuck!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

After!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

And I guess this is far as the fitting goes in? I read somewhere that it does not screw all the way in...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

86SupraMan

Apr 17, 2008
Van. B.C. Canada
God Damn... this is a nice rebuild man.. givin me some good motivation to get on fixin my car...

already done my full engine rebuild, only thing reused was the block ;)
just gotta get a new master cylinder
new ebrake pads. (mine are gone, Toyota wants like 300$ for the full set)
and Tires! most are bald..... mainly from me having fun when i first got the car :D

Sadly though because of the bad ebrake my care gave way and rolled down a hill at work.. i tried jumpin in but the door just smacked me down, car scraped down a wall and whent into a corner of the buildin and fucked up me bumper and bit of the back area.. hopin its not to expensive to fix :)
but yea. this builds freakin sweet, took me a couple days readin now and then to get through what you've done, and im thinkin either your bloody rich, or you got a hell of a great job.

Thanks again for the inspiration to fix my supra :D

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
on shimming the oil pump, it has to be inside the bolt, the idea is to compress the spring more.. 5mm worth of washers that fits inside the bolt will do you wonders!