A/C upgrades (R134) - Operation Chill

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Received it today and it looks like the real-deal. Won't have any side-by-side pics, until I replace the old one. Bracketry looks right. Anyone else have pics/measurements to compare?

condensor.jpg

condensor2.jpg

condensor3.jpg

condensor4.jpg

condensor5.jpg

Last edited:

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Looks like a tight, professional build. Let us know how the fit is once you get to that point. According to your results (function and fit) I might be joining in on the group buy.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Poodles;1306678 said:
No idea... but it would make sense since the OEMs changed to the parallel flow for R134.

R-134a has a critical temp of 214F vs 234F of R-12. With less efficient condensers, portions of the condenser may hit 214F in low flow stop-n-go conditions, at which point the R-134a will not liquefy at all or very little ... leading to poor performance in stopped traffic/low air flow periods.

R-134a needs a much larger/efficient condenser due to this, and is best located away from the radiator (not always possible), and beefed up radiator fans to suck in more cool air than for R-12.

Bottom line, the improved condenser should be fine for R12.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
^^It is. Once I install it I can tell you about fitment and temp differences.

I will try to install it very soon and let ya know if it's worth buying sooner at the retail price, instead of waiting for a group buy.

Not having much luck setting anything up with the company. Product looks good, but they've not seemed eager for a large order.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Wow that's great! How much did you pay for it? (sorry im too lazy to read back over all the posts again, if you dont like it when people are lazy you dont have to tell me)

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Basically, $155, plus shipping. Took about a week to make, but I'm guessing that they can do more of them easier/faster, now that they've done this one.

I will try 1 more call to the salesperson today and see if we can get some volume pricing.

I ordered 2 dryer/receivers from http://www.ackits.com/ for about $35 shipped. Otherwise, you can get 'em for about $35 each at a local parts store. This place also has a good A/C forum and other components/kits for cheap (expansion valves, evaporators, flush kits, inline filters, etc).

So, if no volume discount is available and this works as I hope it should, it should not exceed about $180 for the condensor and dryer/rcvr.

Calling the sale rep again... will let ya know.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
hey

$180 for a r134 specific condensor and dryer???

Sounds like a winner to me! Of course the river cryers would say otherwise that is not expensive at all! Especially if it makes the r134 system work more efficiently!

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
I'm going to presume since nobody has mentioned it that the stock evap core wouldn't be any problem or need upgrading in order to use 134 efficiently?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
According to the A/C forums and technical folks there, the condensor is the #1 thing that will improve the "coldness" of R134 in a retrofitted system.

So, I am going to take temp readings before/after and see how the condensor does, as the only major change made.

I would not recommend that anyone make the purchase yet, until it's kinda proven first. I agree that if it works as I'm expecting, it will be as cold (or better) than w/R12. That being the case, the price would be well worth it.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I would love to have an r134a system that works just as well, mostly because of the availability and price of the refrigerant itself. I hope you get good results out of this! I dont doubt that you will.

EDIT: BTW, those guys over at AC Kits are great. They are actually local to me and i have done some small buisness with them and they are very nice and helpful people both at the store and on the boards.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Satan;1307357 said:
According to the A/C forums and technical folks there, the condensor is the #1 thing that will improve the "coldness" of R134 in a retrofitted system.

So, I am going to take temp readings before/after and see how the condensor does, as the only major change made.

I would not recommend that anyone make the purchase yet, until it's kinda proven first. I agree that if it works as I'm expecting, it will be as cold (or better) than w/R12. That being the case, the price would be well worth it.

Satan

you will not see any temp difference at the vents.

Reason being, the expansion valve. Expansion valve keeps my R134 hovering at 40 degreee outlet temprature.. I am trying to find the TTB on the testing......

BTW

for the retrofit folks
650g of R134a per
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/R134a.aspx

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
CyFi6;1307370 said:
40 Degree vent temps are pretty good. The problem most of us have with R134a is the temps climb above that when in a low speed or idle state.

Umm

this was in florida during a 90 degree day. At zero MPH ;) I still remember as it was hotter than dog shit that day. Mechanical fan and retro fitted dual pullers (instead of the single puller). no pusher upfront like the 89-92 supra (i am 87).

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Hey Figgie,
Yours is the exception. I am not getting 40 degrees right now and I don't necessarily think others w/R134 are either (from what I've seen here). I think youmentioned that you replaced the condensor w/a stock one when you retrofitted. The condensors do get gunk in 'em and I think that the efficiency is very improved when you replace them after 14+ years, but with a PFC it should be even better (w/R134).

If my car (black MKIII) bakes in the Sun for a couple of hours, it is VERY hard to get cool enough to not sweat (too much). Even in the MKIV and our Mazda, bioth black, the temp from the vents is sufficient to make you comfortable very quickly.

When I had R12 and in Florida, I'd have ice crystals forming on my vents. If I can get 40 degrees again, I'll be extremely pleased with this change!

Still not return call from the sales manager for a volume order. Still waiting.