A/C upgrades (R134) - Operation Chill

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
figgie;1294400 said:
Something is wrong in your system. I run r134 sine 1997. Measured temp outlet = 40 degrees on a 92 degree day with 30% humidity as measured at the vent.

grimreaper;1295226 said:
Figgie is one of the few that i have seen report such good performance with r-134 on a stock system.

Im not sure where you guys are at in this conversation but I just had my OEM system charged up with R134 and it blows nice and cold. We first pulled a vacuum (fixed one leaking oring) then put a can of R134 oil converter stuff in then put in around 1.32-1.35 lbs of R134. Proof is in the pic ;) When I put the probe in it was at 42 degrees, by the time I turned on the camera and turned on micro, the compressor was already kicking in and out and went up to 45, still nice and cold.

I guess that is 2 of us now grim, maybe it is the air in Minnesota and we can just do it correct :biglaugh:

p1314786_1.jpg

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I can speak for at least 2 conversions which did not perform well for me (those were professionally done at shops... national chain).

I am glad thet there are a few of you who've had success on the 1st try, but I still do not think it's the result that many can expect.

Also, even when servicing the A/C system and NOT converting, you need to be sure that your condensor is perfect. I've heard of the build up of junk that gets trapped in most condensors, etc.

This upgrade does seem to have worked for me and even this AM, the interior temp was at 74F degrees and dropped to 45F almost immediately. After about 5 minutes of driving, it was at 38.5F.... It balanced out and remained at 41ish, until I got to work. I am sure the outside temp was probably below 80F.

Much better than any of the previous conversions in my other MKIIIs

Last edited:

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
PURCHASING INFO!

Please be sure to ask for your specific year, etc, since their response below is for my '91.

The company is American Condensor. I believe they are in Cali, so if you read this early enough, some of you may be able to have them start making yours as early as Monday.

Person I've worked with for mine is -

Adriana Miera adriana.miera@americancondenser.com

She said that she'd be okay with individual purchases. Did not say if they would be at what I paid, or less.

I have not made any group buy arrangements, I paid $155 plus shipping for mine, dunno what they will quote you. When you contact Adriana you can tell her Elvis sent you. Maybe if they see enough interest, they'll honor the group buy price ($125), or some other discount.

This what they got me:
Part number P39293P (it fits all the 91 Toyota supra models including the turbo).

Condensor: Parallel flow it... will just take us a few days to manufacture. If you have any questions feel free to call (310) 327-8600.

Fine print:
If it doesn't work for you, it's not my fault. I am merely passing on my findings. If you're not happy with the install or results, please don't blame me for it. Everyone has different expectancies and this modification has met mine, but may not meet yours.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
I had all the o rings and gaskets replaced right before Houston and flushed, refilled with r134. The system was already converted when I bought it but my dumbass opened the system when I pulled the engine. Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with it. I have yet to put a thermometer to it but it's been keeping me comfortable. I do notice at idle and stop and go traffic there is quite a difference in temp from cruising but nothing to make me break a sweat yet. Usually though, I don't run the a/c in stop and go situations.

A ton of good info here. If my system dies I'll go this route. Maybe this thread should be stickied?

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
Satan;1314132 said:
Dunno what the stock one goes for, but the parallel flow one discussed in this thread is at $155 top end, maybe $125 each if 30 are purchased.

Dunno what a stock serpentine one goes for from Toyota.

ill be down for one. im sure you can find enough people if you had the time
i would help set it up, but i dont have the money to throw down

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
IJ.;1315085 said:
Satan: Can you get a pic of the front of the Condensor please?

Pages 5 and 8... Not sure if I missed an angle you are looking for, but those are all I have.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
92nsx;1314786 said:
Im not sure where you guys are at in this conversation but I just had my OEM system charged up with R134 and it blows nice and cold. We first pulled a vacuum (fixed one leaking oring) then put a can of R134 oil converter stuff in then put in around 1.32-1.35 lbs of R134. Proof is in the pic ;) When I put the probe in it was at 42 degrees, by the time I turned on the camera and turned on micro, the compressor was already kicking in and out and went up to 45, still nice and cold.

I guess that is 2 of us now grim, maybe it is the air in Minnesota and we can just do it correct :biglaugh:

p1315412_1.jpg

bring it down here where it actually gets hot with some humidity and well see how it does in 20 minutes of rush hour traffic ;)

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
CyFi6;1314841 said:
What was ambient?/ were you idling with the fan on high vent on recirc?
Ambinet was only around 75 degrees, idleing with the a/c set to 65 without recirculation on.
Edit: after reading some of the threads, The vacuum was pulled down to 26-27 in/hg if that make any differance

grimreaper;1315412 said:
bring it down here where it actually gets hot with some humidity and well see how it does in 20 minutes of rush hour traffic ;)

Sounds good, you provide the beer ;). BTW It gets plenty warm and humid up here too.

Once It get warmer out I can stick the thermostat back in and get some more pics for you guys.

I am still fully confident that it will work just fine and cool me this summer. Even in my last 89 that I ran R134 in, it also cooled me off without any problems, but we will see how it performs.

Last edited:

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
was driving around last night when it was around 81-82 degrees out, r134a was blowin a nice 45-47, though earlier that day around 103-105 degrees outside with all the heat coming off the street etc i was getting around 60 degree vent temp..

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
grimreaper;1315412 said:

Its not horrible. My car is fine, probably blows ~ 50 after it cools (a few minutes of driving). Its still very comfortable with the sun beaming on you (no tint) here in FL, even sitting in traffic.

chrgd89

Nov 28, 2005
Leander TX
What oil do I use Pag 46 or ester oil for a new compressor? Iv heard 1 or the other from different people.

Last edited: