A/C upgrades (R134) - Operation Chill

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Gotcha.
Would be interesting to see some side by side shots of the two.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
In addition to just replacing mine, I am completing a reseller agreement thing with the manufacturer. They said that there'd be significant discounts in doing so and buying in volume.

I have not even started making arrangements with the mods for an approved group buy yet, but am curious of how many of you would want a parallel flow condensor that would be an exact stock replacement? I dunno if they offer dryer/receivers, but will also see if I can get 'em at a significant discount. I paid ~$38 for the one I have now from a local parts store, but will have to replace it when I crack the system open again to replace the condensor. I did find 'em on another A/C supply site for about $15, if we need to get 'em elsewhere.

I'm hoping that we could easily get both items for less than the $155 I'm paying for the condensor alone and am hoping that the "deep-discount" they mentioned might make it less than $100.

The problem is, I have no pricing yet. Once I get them an estimate of how many we'd need, I can then let ya'll know what they say...

So, add your name to the list if you think you may want to do this (knowing that the price is not going to exceed $155 for the condensor anyways). Obviously, this is VERY early in the process, so please be understanding/flexible.

1. Satan (2 condensors and 2 dryer/receivers)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
No need here but my compliments on making the effort to do things right.

grimreaper;1295226 said:
JJ touched on it here: freeze 12 is a mix, when the lighter gas (usually the stuff that the oil chases around the system) leaks out (it will) the mineral oil that wont work with r-134a will sit and the compressor is toast.

Exactly right. Good job.

I shouldn't mention this but there are refrigerant blends that claim to be performance replacements for 134. Course, that means systems converted from 12 to 134 can also use them. COOLTOP is one:

http://tinyurl.com/cmcnkk

It's a mixture of 40% 134 with the balance split between 125 and 152a. Although I have no personal experience with it I know a few people who claim the stuff works well. In any case be sure the heater valve is installed and working as even with R-12 coolant flow through the core can cost you around 10 degrees of AC goodness....

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Satan;1298998 said:
In addition to just replacing mine, I am completing a reseller agreement thing with the manufacturer. They said that there'd be significant discounts in doing so and buying in volume.

I have not even started making arrangements with the mods for an approved group buy yet, but am curious of how many of you would want a parallel flow condensor that would be an exact stock replacement? I dunno if they offer dryer/receivers, but will also see if I can get 'em at a significant discount. I paid ~$38 for the one I have now from a local parts store, but will have to replace it when I crack the system open again to replace the condensor. I did find 'em on another A/C supply site for about $15, if we need to get 'em elsewhere.

I'm hoping that we could easily get both items for less than the $155 I'm paying for the condensor alone and am hoping that the "deep-discount" they mentioned might make it less than $100.

The problem is, I have no pricing yet. Once I get them an estimate of how many we'd need, I can then let ya'll know what they say...

So, add your name to the list if you think you may want to do this (knowing that the price is not going to exceed $155 for the condensor anyways). Obviously, this is VERY early in the process, so please be understanding/flexible.

1. Satan (2 condensors and 2 dryer/receivers)
2. Zumtizzle 1 Condensor

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Did you go through the place that made mine?

If it is, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, but I'm gonna wait until you put it on your car and see how the performance is.

Since the entire system is being resealed on mine, paying for R12 won't really be an issue to me...

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Looking forward to seeing how this works out as well. Now that I'm back to an area of higher heat and humidity, I want the A/C to blow ice cubes in traffic!

I get really cold air at freeway speeds, it's just when I'm slower in town that it's not doing as good as the R12.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I have a part number, but like I said... seemed almost "made up at the time."
-Just kinda iffy.

I am going to post pics when I go to change it out and make sure things fit like they should. Not trying to get committment, just trying to gauge interest. Do I order 10, 20, or 50?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Filled out a credit/reseller application today and still have to do more... Kind of a hassle really. I've offered to pay up front, but they still want credit/bank info (ain't gonna happen). Don't see enough interest from the forum yet to go thru the hassle, so am probably not gonna go through with buying a bunch, or revisit in August (when ppl change their minds). Have not posted this on SF yet, but may leave this for someone else who cares about a profit.

Hopefully I will be nice and COOL by that time!

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I'll post the info, soon as I receive mine and know that it's an exact match/fit. I should have it very soon (no later than a couple of more days).

We are still working out the details for a large-volume order (providing that the price, fitment, and other factors are all good). Looks like they may now be okay with up-front-payment.

rmjsupra

Mar 11, 2009
Moorpark
www.rmjmotorsports.com
After sitting in the heat, in Palm SPrings this weekend, ya I want some AC. Mine is stock at the momoent with 7M pump, but will be swapping the 1jz with aristo pump in July.

I am definately interested in this.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
figgie;1301204 said:
Why the hell wouldn't any company not be ok with upfront payment? PO or not, cash is cash and it always talks.

Agreed! I almost fell out of my seat when they said they'd not process the application because of the missing credit/bank data. I had already explained things to them before, but think we're on the same page now.

I won't let all of this be too much of an obstacle though. If the condensor I get is good-to-go and I'm still having a volume-purchase issue, I'll turn this over to an existing forum vendor who're probably more equipped for these types of dealings.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, like I said, if you get better performance, I might be interested.

The only thing is, i might be going with R12 and I'm not sure a parallel flow condenser will work well with R12...