7M-GE + Supercharger?

7M-fanatic

Banned
Apr 21, 2006
San Antonio, TX
suprarx7nut said:
Can anyone give an estimate on parts for all the stuff "Gordon" rattled off?

Thousands............!!
Good used blower - $400
long blower snout - $400
Custom drive pulleys, adaptors, pieces - $1000+
Custom Manifold - $2000+

Bottom line, non of these parts were off the shelf, except the blower & long drive snout (from the US distributor for Eaton Blowers).

It took a lot of custom machine work, & welding to build it.
So unless your a machinest, and can weld aluminum, or your brother, father, or best friend is, this really is not something that can be had.

These prices did not include all sorts of little parts that were fabed, or made along the way.
Things like a custom radiator were not planed on, until I realized that the blower drive belt would go right through the stock radiator hose.
The water to air intercooler core is one off, but 100% necessary for high boost, and the way I mounted the blower directly on the manifold.

An SC14 1GG blower being connected with hoses could use an off the shelf intercooler, and some creative piping.

20/20 hind sight, it would have been easier, and less build time if the car was turbo only, but..........
There are tons of turbo cars out there, and I wanted to be different.
Plus I love the sound of a blower driven by a cog belt system !
And what I get is a system that will give 15 psi right off idle.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
7M-fanatic said:
20/20 hind sight, it would have been easier, and less build time if the car was turbo only, but..........
There are tons of turbo cars out there, and I wanted to be different.
Plus I love the sound of a blower driven by a cog belt system !
And what I get is a system that will give 15 psi right off idle.

So... have you run it? You said it is currently not in a car i guess? HP estimates? Would it just be a real even power band?

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
i dont think it would be that hard as long as you were able to do some custom work. you can get a supercharger off of a toyota previa for $170 my buddy just put one on his saturn and its running good!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
gnarkill87 said:
i dont think it would be that hard as long as you were able to do some custom work. you can get a supercharger off of a toyota previa for $170 my buddy just put one on his saturn and its running good!
You would need 2 to make any sort of worthwhile boost on a 3.0L motor......

pres6

Aug 12, 2007
Richardson, TX
what generation of M90 is that? looks like a 4th gen. did you have magnuson make any changes to the blower itself? or upgrade to the new "quiet couplers? just curious, i am about to embarq on an M90 project, i will not say what motor it is headed too, but its not a 7m...
also are you keeping the stock pulley on it? what was it 3.8"? on the GTP, and the ford supercoupe?

7M-fanatic

Banned
Apr 21, 2006
San Antonio, TX
pres6 said:
what generation of M90 is that?
It was a low mileage take-off from a T-Bird Super Coupe.

pres6 said:
did you have magnuson make any changes to the blower itself?
Nope, but I did some porting on the housing seeing that I will be turning it to 15,000 RPM.

pres6 said:
or upgrade to the new "quiet couplers?
Yes.

pres6 said:
also are you keeping the stock pulley on it?
As you can see in the pictures, it has a real blower belt on it (cog belt).
They don't come with a cog belt drive..........
Since I am running it at the upper end of it's design parameters, the stock serpentine belt would have slipped.
And if your doing a custom blower install, why would the stock pulley even be relevant?

Before you get in over your head, pick up some books on the subject,
(Street Supercharging from Summit is a good place to start)
get a good calculator so you can run the formulas on figuring blower size & speed to get to your target boost, long before you throw money at a blower.
An M90 may not even be close to what you need.
I bring in all sorts of blowers from Japan.
From little 300cc/rev mini-blowers, to 2800cc/rev units.
(an M90 is 1500cc/rev)
People in Japan use 2 of them (M90s) on the 1UZ V8s.
If you e-mail me directly, I can help you with some ball-park drive ratios.
I will need your engine size, it's max RPM, and what you hope to achieve as far as boost level.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
threadnecromancyns1nf0.jpg