200RWHP

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
Tanya said:
and another HUGE problem with n/a mk3s are the weight. Beef up the motor and start throwing useless crap away if you want to run some good times with it. Otherwise, even 200rwhp is going to feel somewhat useless in those piggies.

If you can't raise the power, lower the weight. That's what I did. Also don't forget about the flywheel, driveshaft, and sawblades weigh 23-24 lbs.

DEFINITELY upgrade the exhaust, I LOVED my 3" on my NA. I went from a crush bent 2.5" to a catless mandrel straight 3" and it felt like a whole different car.

Ma70.Ent said:
The stock design of the 7MGE is already good....other than the catback exhaust.

QFT. I did lots of other mods to my NA and none compared to my catlessback exhaust.

I also support the rebuild+nos idea :biglaugh: :naughty: :aigo:

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
AGlobalThreat said:
If you can't raise the power, lower the weight. That's what I did. Also don't forget about the flywheel, driveshaft, and sawblades weigh 23-24 lbs.

DEFINITELY upgrade the exhaust, I LOVED my 3" on my NA. I went from a crush bent 2.5" to a catless mandrel straight 3" and it felt like a whole different car.

QFT. I did lots of other mods to my NA and none compared to my catlessback exhaust.

I also support the rebuild+nos idea :biglaugh: :naughty: :aigo:

Hey! I've finally got a 3 inch exhaust. I hope to see a decent difference...(even if I am auto :p)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Will a catback on a stock N/A really make that much of a difference?

I thought it would be a very small difference, maybe 5 hp, but you guys talk like it makes more. I was thinking to see any difference I'd have to do a full new exhaust.... am I wrong?

P.S. I have an Apex'i, but its bone stock other than that.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
suprarx7nut said:
Will a catback on a stock N/A really make that much of a difference?

I thought it would be a very small difference, maybe 5 hp, but you guys talk like it makes more. I was thinking to see any difference I'd have to do a full new exhaust.... am I wrong?

P.S. I have an Apex'i, but its bone stock other than that.

The stock catback really sucks. See for yourself, hehe.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
You've driven my car with a 2.5" catback with straight through muffler and no resonator.... how much difference do you think it made? :naughty:

Seriously, I didn't notice too big of a difference going from the stock cat back to my current setup... Helps when revving a higher RPMs a decent amount. As you do more modifications you'll definitely find the stock system too restrictive though. It's not a massive change by itself, but it's one that's crucial for all the other mods to come.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
CRE said:
You've driven my car with a 2.5" catback with straight through muffler and no resonator.... how much difference do you think it made? :naughty:

Seriously, I didn't notice too big of a difference going from the stock cat back to my current setup... Helps when revving a higher RPMs a decent amount. As you do more modifications you'll definitely find the stock system too restrictive though. It's not a massive change by itself, but it's one that's crucial for all the other mods to come.

Ya, I'm planning on it either way. Hell to me, just the audible difference is worth it. :)

If I could throw on a catback and have 1/2 the performance change you have CRE, I'd be a happy man. ....Unfortunately it'll take much, much more.

Maybe by the end of next summer I'll be able to give you a small glimpse of "competition". ;)

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
All you gotta do is stop holding back.... c'mon, my clutch is even slipping (granted it's not full time... yet... but still).

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
CRE said:
All you gotta do is stop holding back.... c'mon, my clutch is even slipping (granted it's not full time... yet... but still).
Slipping from all that extra power from the Maft-Pro I'll bet?

The stock cat back removal I agree with most as it dosen't make that much difference. But like you said it does make a difference with the other mods working better.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
ok, I just skimmed through this thread but when I had my NA motor in this is what I had done to it

OBX headers
2.5 exhaust and no cat
MSD ign
ARP head bolts
Fresh HG
Intake including piping
plugs and wires
port and polished intake manifold
walbro fuel pump with J-tube delete
99% of the stock parts were replaced so the motor was pretty healthly
and I had a semi auto controller on the tranny
and maybe a few other small things, i cant fully remember, but having that I mangaged to beat a newer GT mustang by about half a car length and those are dyno'd right around 250RWHP, although you have to take the guys driving ability into prospective too

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
Honestly, i think my N/a is putting over 200rwhp. But everybody is right, it just cost too much money, and the only way that anyone would spend this much money is if they're dead set on having a screaming n/a or their too ignorant to go turbo. (Like my cousin did with this car)

I did not due all of these mods, he did, and he should me the receipts, he has more than 6 grand in engine work alone, with a rebuilt engine and all the other mods plus labor.... Due you kno after i spend the 1,500 to swap a gte in and i spent the other 4,500 on mods, How much rwhp a gte could possibly make for the same amount of money spent.

But yes i believe i have more than 200rwhp. But before i dyno the car i need to get a few things fixed, Car is running rich, and there is a small gap where my headers bolt up to the engine. And other miscellaneous things. Give me some time and ill see what this N/a can do

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
IDK maybe I'm missing something here. 200RWHP doesn't seem to be as impossible as some of you are making it out to be. Alot of the mods people are using seem to be basic bolt-ons without putting any machine work into their motor. If you are going to be spending alot of money on mods put some of that money toward the machine work. Why waste the money on bolt-ons when you still have a stock block and head?

I just got done rebuilding my motor. Both the deck and head have been shaved and I'm using a 10/10 crank. My pistons at TDC are even with the top of head gasket. That should give you an idea of how much was taken off. And the head was shaved 20 because of warping. I can't advance or retard my timing in fear of crossbreeding pistons and valves. I've been told that I'm running at least 10.1:1. Stock compression ratio is 9.8:1 for NA's. I wish I had a way to figure out what my compression ratio is.

Honestly I don't think I've spent over 500 bucks in just machine work. This motor was built just to get the Supra on the road. I haven't started to build the race motor yet. It's sitting in storage waiting for me to get done rebuilding my 90 Acura Integra motor. Well I have to go to work and I think I got my basic point across. Get the machine work done first so your motor can use the bolt-on mods to their fullest potential.

Peace and engine grease.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Queenskid: If the motor was built with all forged internals, you could attempt the infamous n/a->T. Get all the necessary parts from someone parting out a turbo car, and bolt them on your motor. Just an idea. There are a lot of good and bad points to doing this, and it will take a good bit of fine tuning to get it running really well. Search around in the n/a->T threads, and you'll find a lot of information.

I also agree with labrat. With some good machining, porting and polishing, 200 hp. should be attainable. BUT, you should have a well thought out plan as to what your future goals are. Are you going to be satisfied with all motor performance, or are you going to want power-adders later(nitrous, turbo, supercharger, combination of all 3 :naughty: ), and build accordingly. Stock e.c.u., standalone, fuel system upgrades, etc. Really, the only limit will be how much time, money, and effort you are willing to spend.

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
cuel said:
Queenskid: If the motor was built with all forged internals, you could attempt the infamous n/a->T. Get all the necessary parts from someone parting out a turbo car, and bolt them on your motor. Just an idea. There are a lot of good and bad points to doing this, and it will take a good bit of fine tuning to get it running really well.

Nah my compression ratio is too high. Its cuttin close enuff to it with a stock ge compression ratio, Just like Labrat469, both my deck and head has been shaved. im sue my compression is around there too in 10:?:? range, Once i find a nice gte and have some money ill be selling this motor for anybody that wants to have a screaming n/a. Your already will be off to a good start...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
queenskid926 said:
Honestly, i think my N/a is putting over 200rwhp. But everybody is right, it just cost too much money, and the only way that anyone would spend this much money is if they're dead set on having a screaming n/a or their too ignorant to go turbo. (Like my cousin did with this car)
Time to hit the dyno to see for sure. ;)

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
I've seen too many people add on intakes, headers and exhausts and expect to achieve the same HP as the manufactures claim. read the fine print! Look at all they have done to the motor to achieve those numbers. You will be surprised. You have the potential of pumping more air in and out of your motor, BUT, you are limiting yourself by not doing the machine work to take advantage of the mods you've added on. Having all of those power adders won't matter if you have a restrictive head. Don't worry about the shiney air intake, powder coated header and stainless steel cat-back exhaust. Spend that money where it will do the most good.

Personally I don't want to deal with all of the headaches involved with going turbo.