200RWHP

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
I was hoping you'd post AJ. Nice numbers.

My current motor build "should" run 200 hp. easily. Only using 9:1 cr pistons, as I plan on n/a -> t at a later point. 200 will be about 1/2 then :evil2:

A true, tuned tube exhaust header would be very advantageous. One that was built for optimium exhaust velocity, pulse, and scavenging effects. As far as I know, nobody offers anything of the sort, and it would have to be custom made.

A short ram CAI would also help, and making sure that the ACIS system is in good operating condition. There's a pretty good thread on the ACIS system around here somewhere, if you don't know or understand what it is.

A decent set of cams, and some porting and polishing in the head. Matching the ports to the intake and exhaust correctly will help as well.

There's a few more things you could do as well. Anything that can be done to a n/a v-8 to make power can be applied to the 7m as well.

VK: The OBX header is around $300, and I have around $200 in the rest of my exhaust. Most turbo cat backs go for right around the combined total.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Does anybody have a dyno of before and after of some cams? I've been thinking of dropping some BC's into my 7M, but i would like to see how much power they made available.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
There's a thread on this first page that has a decent amount of info on the BC cams that you're thinking of buying. IIRC, the gains were around 15 RWHP?

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
my and a buddy went up to Atlanta to pick up my 89 NA 5spd... well, i have a 97 Altima 5spd that he drove back for me while i drove my Supra. so we're at a red light back in our town... he's looking at me revving up my Altima. i look at him, the light turns green and we're off. i had him in first gear, then in second gear he started catching up to me, by the time i shifted into 3rd, he was ahead of me.

so, yeah... NA's are slow.. at most what i would do just to have some more fun until you can swap in a GTE motor. is buy header, exhaust and intake. just to give it a better deeper sound. all that's like what $600 if you search around for the best deals. maybe give it some better plugs and wires.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Your signature says you have rod knock, which leads me to assume that your engine was crapping out on you when your old Altima beat you.

N/As aren't fast, but people don't give them any credit for anything

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
BlackMKIII said:
I'm not hating on the N/A! Hell, I was N/A for a couple of years before I swapped in the 1JZ. I did quite well with just bolt ons. I'm just being realistic about it.

Uh, 147whp is NOT well at all though.

edit* and another HUGE problem with n/a mk3s are the weight. Beef up the motor and start throwing useless crap away if you want to run some good times with it. Otherwise, even 200rwhp is going to feel somewhat useless in those piggies.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
my first car was an n/a and i was out running mustang gt's in it. i dont know what all had been done to it except for being bored .040" and a cat back exhuast. i out ran my buddies 96 mkiv n/a too. oh yeah, i also outran an all wheel drive turbo eclipse that was not stock, but it was from a roll.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
bmoss85 said:
my first car was an n/a and i was out running mustang gt's in it. i dont know what all had been done to it except for being bored .040" and a cat back exhuast. i out ran my buddies 96 mkiv n/a too. oh yeah, i also outran an all wheel drive turbo eclipse that was not stock, but it was from a roll.

Hehe, this is gonna cause a war. :D

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
some mustang gts only had like 215 crank hp, si its not that much of a stretch for an mkii n/a to outrun one

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
BlackMKIII said:
That was with a K&N and 2.5" crush bent exhaust. I never got around to dynoing it with the OBX headers, CAI, and RS*R.

That's still quite horrible considering I dyno'd at 144whp with my 5MGE that only had an exhaust. That means you were only putting out roughly 180hp at the crank.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
cuel said:
I was hoping you'd post AJ. Nice numbers.
Thanks cuel. Very close to fine tuning the Maft-Pro hope to get to the dyno after the 1st of the year. There are still a few things I'd like to do before that but they can wait if need be, I'm anxious to see some numbers with the change to SD:naughty:

StevO9389

one wheel peeler
Nov 13, 2007
Clearwater
ask some of the guys on this board what their NA build COST to achive. you're a kid and i am willing to bet you are not made of money. a couple other people have said it already but a 75-100 wet shot is your cheapest and most effective way to get the 200+RWHP goal. used kits can be had for about $300 or less and new around $700. this way you can beat up on some unsuspecting cars at the track and retain its mild manners and when daily driving. does californa enforce emissions laws for cars 20+ years old? seriously, think about it. by all means build a motor but this way you can have some fun and time to save before that day comes.

StevO9389

one wheel peeler
Nov 13, 2007
Clearwater
yea i am aware that FL isnt the same as CA... the reason i asked about the emissions is because whatever pemanant mods the kid does will ultimately affect if that car passes or not. maybe you can clear up why you cant just throw a nitrous kit onto an na. if timing is an issue then an MSD box can be programmed to retard timing as necesssary. a guy here in Tampa threw a 100 shot on his NA and is running mid-high 14s untuned on street tires. sure it wont run the full potential without a tune and proper heat range/gapped plugs but thats given for any power adding mod.

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
*Raises hand*

yes im a member of the low horsepower ge club 149hp and 163tq

200whp doesnt seem too far fetched, but it definetly wont be cheap. Its important that you have good foundation to start from or else you will be like some of us, with low numbers.

intake, headers,exaust, maftpro, mhg, and cams should get you there with out completely going broke

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
The one thing I'd like to point out about the n/a vs turbo war, is that yes, you will be spending a fair amount of money to get less hp than you would going turbo, BUT you have a lot less to be concerned about breaking. No intercooler piping coming loose, no bad turbo seals, etc.