Zangetsu's Bankai: '92 Supra Twin Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadwarrior87

Jun 14, 2005
socal
your supras going to fly! first, have fun taking off the stock twins :icon_razz

again :aigo:

you can probably do it faster this time around since you've done it once already not too long ago.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
roadwarrior87 said:
your supras going to fly! first, have fun taking off the stock twins :icon_razz

again :aigo:

you can probably do it faster this time around since you've done it once already not too long ago.

Since they've already come off, I won't have to deal with 20 year old jdm rust bolts and dirt grease!!!!

Thanks Bigzavs

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
I talked with Van Diesel about it briefly and he had much more positive things to say about the kit and did not describe it as excessive "ultra lag."

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
Those twins are very cool. If you're going to have to run those screens for a while I would sandwich some oiled filter material in there to catch dirt. You should be able to buy some aluminum tubing and lay out a contraption like below, just won't be able to run a strut brace, and then take it to a local welder. I would route it through the snorkle opening and put a filter in the grill area.

p653115_1.jpg

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
^Did you photoshop that right now? I woulda beleived it if you told me it was real.

That's a good thought there. Hopefully I will have enough clearance to do something like that.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
looks good man.

i've seen erics car...those turbos were laggy on his 1j. It seemed like they fired up at around 5000rpm and by 6000rpm all hell broke loose....thing went like crazy. 650hp twin turbo 1js sound awesome with an electric dump (open exhaust) :)

OneJoeZee said:
Racerxj220 has the k26 kit using Sard manifolds.

Van Diesel has the Blitz kit(like mine) on his car...

AFAIK there's only one other kit in the US. 51 Cards on SF had one way back in the day. Probably still does, I just happened to run across a pic of his setup dated back in like 04 or something.

I guess Moe is going to be making his own kit with alot more custom parts.

Only 2 more days til I pick it up and only 3 more til I can put it on. :1zhelp:

The only literature from Blitz I can find on it is in my Hyper Rev magazine but I can't read it of course... Just pics of the kit and some cars with it. I tried emailing blitz usa to see if they could look it up for me but no reply yet.

51 cards is actually Steve Brecht, a local member here in Toronto. Steve is a good friend of mine and an awesome guy, one of the first members I met from the club. Steve has been working on the car for I think...3 years now? the last year he hasn't done much though, waiting for some funds. He has most of the grunt work done...harness, emanage ultimate, piping, exhaust, intercooler oil lines etc...basically everything hard done. If he really wanted to he could fire it up but decides not to. The 1j is out of his car currently and he talks of getting a 2j block built this summer, converting it to 1.5jz. He also wants to have the car painted, and coating some intercooler pipes etc. before he drives it the first time (all $$$$). He wants to be happy with it before it gets on the road, so it can stay out there, just driving. Last I saw it he had additions of some huge (13") brakes and an amazingly fitted roll bar. The car will be a track ready street car. his website can be found here: http://www.autosoftsys.com/supra/index.cfm He's a smart guy that's helped lots of people in the past, knowledgeable about 1js. If you have some questions I'm sure he'd be willing to help out.

Last edited:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
I have the kit. It looks good. Tomorrow I'll be busy ripping off the stock twins and installing the Blitz twins. Install should go pretty quick it seems. Everything's already assembled. Each turbo already has it's manifold, WG, and downpipe bolted up. Just have to bolt it to the engine.

Pictures tomorrow. I'm going to bed.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Day 1 Progress:

Ok, so here's what I got accomplished last night.

No more stock twins! Lucky for me they came off without much of a fight which is a relief. The nuts holding the stock manifolds to the head also didn't give me much trouble which was an even bigger relief. I was afraid they would just strip and I'd have to call it an early night.

p656326_1.jpg

Here's a few pics of the K26 twins and the stock twins in comparison, as well as they're respective downpipe/y-pipe

p656326_2.jpg

p656326_3.jpg

p656326_4.jpg

p656326_5.jpg

p656326_6.jpg

p656326_7.jpg

p656326_8.jpg

p656326_9.jpg

And here where I left off last night. I mounted the rear turbo up. I decided to call it a night there because I didn't have any caps at the time to cap off the water lines. And I was tired...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I also found the source of a coolant leak. What I thought was my waterpump leaking turns out to probably be the thermostat. I took it off to give myself a bit more room in that area and one of nuts came off by hand! It was very loose. I tightened it back up and hopefully that stops my leak and it's not something much harder to deal with like the waterpump. Anyway,

That's all for now. I'm going to get started on wrapping up the rear turbo now and hopefully have the front one done by noon-ish.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Nice upgrade Joe. While I was reading through the thread, I was trying to guess as well. I thought you would go twins LOL.

Not sure if I missed it but, what are the specs on these turbos? Not HP, A/R and such.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
buckshotglass said:
Looking good:)
Actually it's a little messy. Can you spray some cleaner around while you are in there?;)

Yeah it's still a bit dirty. But I figure while I'm working in there it's going to get dirty with oil and coolant etc anyway so I'll do more cleanup when it's closser to being done.

EdgeSupra

Feb 19, 2006
New Jersey
Subscribed.
Joe, I hated to hear when you sold your Blue 89 1J, but when you got this thing It made it all better! Haha, can't wait to see how it turns out.
-Justin

mrsuprafreak

Where does it end?
Aug 14, 2005
Orlando
www.cardomain.com
OneJoeZee said:
Day 1 Progress:

And here where I left off last night. I mounted the rear turbo up. I decided to call it a night there because I didn't have any caps at the time to cap off the water lines. And I was tired...

What do you mean your were tired? That's not exceptable!:nono: Back to work, no time for rest! :biglaugh:

Mark

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.