Zangetsu's Bankai: '92 Supra Twin Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Yeah... It's alright. At least I'm doing something productive with my day instead of just sleeping like I usually do. Sometimes I look for reasons to be in the garage wrenching and I'm less aggrevated about swapping turbos now. I'm getting pretty efficient at it.

I knew they were under warranty when I bought them. In hindsight, I probably should have asked to have them rebuilt before I even got them just because I could. But hindsight is always 20/20. :/

I'll use the time to get the IC pipes coated in black I think and the downipes and manifolds ceramic coated maybe. Make the kit look a little nicer.

Well, back to work... I wanna finish up putting the stock twins tonight.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Since the turbos have to be off for awhile due to rebuild, I think I'm going to take a straight shot at my longer term goal. I purchased some 540cc injectors.

Next on the list for me is a MK4 fuel pump. Then probably an AFC and I'll see where that gets me. Also I'll see how far this clutch gets me...

I'll be looking into a wideband also. But chances are I'll have the rest of the parts before I get more spare money for a wideband, so I'll just have to go to the dyno and tune there.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
kylefoto said:
Joe do you sell drugs?
I swear to god you just pull money out of your ass.

^^looks up^^ *looks around* you got the shit, I got the stuff... meet me at the corner in 5 minutes!

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Charles is right...I spent money here and there after buying the car initially but nothing big... There really isn't a whole bunch of money spent here on this TT project alone. If this whole project was a paintjob, the entire prep work and primer coat was already done when I got the car. I'm just finishing the job...

Just quickly adding up some numbers, I'll be looking at something close to this:

Turbo kit- 1300
Injectors- 300
Fuel pump- 200

That's only 1800 right there. There's about 300-500 bucks to be made back parting out stock twin specific parts when I put the K26s back on.

I'll pick up an AFC to help with the larger injectors. That's only about another 200 there. Wideband... AFPR... A little dyno time... A clutch when my ACT gives out... I most likely won't even break 2500 total after buying/selling. I'm not paying anyone to do the work here. If I run into a roadblock, sure I can get help from Jose but so far this is all me. And when I hit the dyno finally and put down 400 or 450 or whatever it is I get, I'll be happy to know that it's my own work that made it happen.

Most people making build threads spend more than that just to get their car back to a good platform or swap an engine. The difference here the swap was already done and maintenence isn't bad at all, so the majority of my money can go to upgrades.

Remember, I did buy the car for 8000... which is a good amount more than most MK3 owners would spend initially. It took someone else a lot of money to get the car where it was before I owned it. These cars aren't cheap to own. You can pay up front, pay later, or just have a beater or mediocre Supra forever. You can see it just browing around the build up threads. Alot of people bought their cars for cheap, usually just investing in a straight body and paint because clean cars are hard to find but the majority of the work they do just to bring the car back to an acceptable running level where mods and upgrades can begin. I know what it's like to take a Supra from nothing and make it into something. I already did that with the blue car. I took that car from 100% bone 'slower than shit' stock to a decently modded 7M to a decently modded 1JZ, blew up 1 1J, bought another 1J out of my own pocket, all in about the 4 years I had it. I didn't want to bother with all that again. This time I paid more upfront to pay less later and I'm glad I did. Instead of taking a Supra from nothing and making it something, I'm taking a Supra from something and making it into something much better. About 75% of the money I've spent on this car has been in upgrades. And that's probably underestimating at best.

I'm not trying to brag or anything like that... Just explaining so it doesn't look like I wipe my ass with 100 dollar bills here. I'll admit, I have received some help getting this project going but all the work going on here is my own and the large majority of the money spent in this car(purchase of car + mods) is out of my own pocket and my time spent making this project happen. I work 40 hours a week right now in my summer break so I'll be able to pick up parts a little quicker than during the semester when my hours will be cut in half. I'm trying to get a lot done becore school picks up again and my income goes back down.

In the end, there will be about 12000-14000 invested in this whole car including buying the car itself. I just happened to pay the majority of the project up front when I bought the car.

But... in other news. Not much is going to happen in this thread until I get the turbos back which I'm not sure when that will be yet. I refused to take the car down and not drive it while that's going on, so I'm just driving around with CT12s again for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.