Worth seeing: Brand new 1990 Turbo Targa

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Silvasoup said:
Do you think the dealer would tell the truth about all items regarding this car? My experience with many dealers is they have the habit of outright lying to your face to make a sale Imo.

Fixed.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Simply remarkable. I would love to own that piece of history. It would only be worth s much to a true collector. Of course i would have another one, maybe 2 to drive, but this would rarely ever be driven if i owned it. I would think of it more like fine art, like a painting. Do you draw on your paintings? They are painted on some sort of board which was made for art, so why not ruin them and keep drawing on them too? Same idea. Drive this car as little as possible I say.
eric

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
WOW that's amazing. I showed my mom (dad was downstairs or I would have shown him too)

If that car were in front of me, parked next to ANY other car...I can guarantee for at least the first 10 minutes I would totally ignore the other car...no matter what or how rare. That's so cool it's been kept such a jewel... even the wrappers...i think that's neat. most showroom cars i have seen are unwrapped; i never even knew they wrapped the interiors.

what's with this 'paint not like it used to be' stuff?? was it thicker? more coats? better mix? richer?

new cars do seem to have a lot of blemishes..i saw a dented car today and the paint was flaking off... when i see old cars the paint just bends with the metal if it's hit. sorta...heh.

but yeah what's changed?

I would be really worried about starting that thing up...heh...if not that then I'd be worried about revving it past 2 grand. it would absolutely suck to pop a hose or something. its just so weird to see a perfect unused car that is so old, there aren't really enough cars like that to say how well a car can handle sitting protected for 15-20 years and then starting up and becoming driven regularly every weekend or more. I wonder how it would do...

I hope it never gets a BHG. sitting like that makes me wonder if the head gasket would have any issues...well more than normal that is. heh. probably not, but...its a thought.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
I think it's sad that so many so called MK3 "enthusiasts" fail to see the true beauty or value of this car. Instead they see it for face value - A car that has been sitting for 17 years...

Give the MK3 boys (or damn near any car community) an essentially brand new car in time wrap condition with 92km on the clock and they'd all be tripping over themselves.

Give us a car like that, and they thread is littered in comments like "I could build a better car" or "My car is better". :3d_frown:.

What's worst of all is that these are probably going to be the same people who are going to complain when they can only sell their MK3's sell for peanuts, whine about how poorly the MK3 is represented in the media and bitch about how the MKIV boys out do the MK3 community at damn near everything....

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
:word8kn:

tookwik4u89 said:
1990 Mk3 with 50 miles on it and will prob need a head gasket, expansion valve, cold start time switch, heater valve in another 50 miles........$50,000

1990 Mk3 built clean, 500 RWHP, upgrades galore, better looking and performing.......good luck getting $15,000

Silly......however very cool to look at.....would you trade your's for it??

in a damn heartbeat...

the car appears to have been stored well, so I bet you it would start right back up with new fluids...

if they drained the acid out of the battery as well you'd be able to run 100% original just by filling it...

There are only a select few on this forum that can attest to what it REALLY costs to get a car back to this kind of condition, and it's seriously NOT CHEAP. Even then, this car has seen NO use, NO UV rays, NO wear and tear.

I should have been born rich...

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Poodles said:
There are only a select few on this forum that can attest to what it REALLY costs to get a car back to this kind of condition, and it's seriously NOT CHEAP. Even then, this car has seen NO use, NO UV rays, NO wear and tear.

There's irony in this statement being in the same post that you quoted Tookwik4u89. I'm sure you've probably seen Ken's latest build. I bet he knows.

Now, back to what I said earlier...........It can be faked (at a huge price), so I always keep that in mind when looking at something like that. I did only see a couple of clues that this one could be fake. The first was the steering wheel, and it has been explained by being Canadian. Second, and still unexplained is a paint issue.

I have had 12-15 MKIII's come through my possesion, and never seen paint on the cover to the fuel sending unit. This one has a paint ring on that part.

The only other thing I saw was that some of that wrap looked to be added, not factory. That would be the wrap on the steering wheel and the shifter. But, that could have been done in 1990 prior to putting the car away, so I won't fault that.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
LOL, yeah, I know it's ironic...

but to SERIOUSLY have a car 100% restored chassis and all to that level would take tens of thousands in replating parts or replacing...

and in the end it won't be the same to a collector...

wrap on the steering wheel and shifter is factory, seen em on modern cars when they are transported...

dunno what you're talking about the paint...

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Under the trunkboard there is an round aluminum cover over the fuel sending unit. It's on the passenger side of the floor, and about 4 inches across. Go look at that picture, and then go check out yours. I've never seen paint on one of those. This one has a ring of paint around the outside edge.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Not to say If I was a filthy rich collector I wouldn't buy it, but you could only store it and show it at this point, otherwise it would drop in value.....I would just have to drive it.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
ForcedTorque said:
Under the trunkboard there is an round aluminum cover over the fuel sending unit. It's on the passenger side of the floor, and about 4 inches across. Go look at that picture, and then go check out yours. I've never seen paint on one of those. This one has a ring of paint around the outside edge.
P1020392.jpg

the only paint I see there is on the body of the car, which is exactly the way mine looked. If this truly was a fake, you would have to sell it for far more than 50k to get any money out of it. Stock replacement parts are not cheap, even at a substantial discount.