will the horsepower potential over do the massive weight

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
What are you guys talking about? A well tuned MkIII is a very fast street car. With my little 14psi on the stock ct I trample all over new Mustang GT’s, I hang with Vettes, smoke RT Chargers, hang with a few different Porsches (non turbos) and I am barely BPU. Give the car more credit ….. I believe a very well respected member of the Supra Community (ALL SUPRAS) said something along the lines of an MKIII with the same power as a MKIV will out run the MKIV because of gearing. A 450-500rwhp MKIII is a beast on the street

I used to have a g20 that I boosted (9psi) and I do admit the car was freaking fast from the line but they are apples and oranges. It’s the same argument with the SRT-4’s they are good little cars. Why not buy a SRT-4 because “its still a neon”. There is something that comes with owning a really fast and comfortable car named SUPRA. You mention the name SUPRA to anyone and they respect it .... even if they hate them.

All this talk about weight ….. Those high dollar SL AMG’s Benzes and BMW with their M’s weigh a lot more than our cars but those fuckers move …. Run one if you want and you will see. If you are worried about weight find away of making more useable power. No2 with the right setup will get you off the line in hurry and its relatively cheap.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
OH yeah. I actually have a G20 also, lol. I'm in the pursuit of 600 rwhp myself for certain power to weight ratio classifying for NASA. Anything less then that won't leave me very competitive. Gearing can always be changed. Thats my thing with the Supra, i know they have a lot of downsides but i also know they're upsides. Thats why i hope i can completely rebuild the car to eliminate those downsides. I too believe that any car can be built to kick ass, and thats what i'm trying to do. My only thing is if i can get a car with less flaws its less things i have to correct. But hey, my car was cheap and i was 18 without alot of cash when i bought it, so its really come along way.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Grim: As I've stated before the Mk3 is the wrong choice if you're chasing a light weight car as even stripped it's basic structure is heavy and you can't do anything about that without sacrificing structural integrity.

I :love: the A70 platform but it's never going to be anymore than a Hippo in ballet slippers.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
IJ. said:
I :love: the A70 platform but it's never going to be anymore than a Hippo in ballet slippers.

OUCH!!!!!! ...... Truth hurts. But with the ARZ big brake kit and a good suspension it should still be more than just decent for what it is.

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
I dont know why you guys are so touchy about weight reduction.. Making a car something its not, is what EVERYONE here does... your replacing the turbo? exhuast?

Lightening a car is an easy solution... why would you want heavy sluggishness?

Making a car what it's "not" is the passion of all car lovers.. wide body supra's.

Ok.. you put a 2jz in an mk3?? why?? why are you making it something its not? your trying to make it an mk4 arent you? so your making it something its not.

it just bothers me that some people are so touchy on a subject when its common sense that less weight equals more power to weight ratio, and power to weight ratio, is all that really matters in the end, thats why motorcyclces are so god damn fast.

[/rant]

info:

stock supra is around 14 pounds per one horsepower
stripped stock supra is around 13 pounds per one horsepower.
250 horse supra stock 13.2 pph (pounds per horse)
250 horse stripped 12 pph

A kawasaki ninja is about 3pph

Ghostriders 500hp turbo hayabusa is about .8 pph

Last edited:

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
If I'm thinking correctly a heavier car can be just as good or better around a track as a light weight car with the proper brakes, tires, suspension and so on. However, those modifications for heavier cars cost ALOT more money than for light weight cars. Hondas can buy 4 nice tires for cheaper than a single good 275.

kHaNg

Like FAtHer Like SoN
Apr 17, 2007
Mass
i like the idea of a decked out 20 valve 4 banger that will overcome ur horsepower to weight ratio

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
i like the idea of the mkiii, i fell in love witht the car,

i have basic mods, more then most not not all, and the car is quick, granted if i would have done the same thing with an sr20 or a 3sgte i would have a very quick light car,

i fell in love with the sound of the supra,

sure i dream about using it for stuff it's not supost to , but hey im building it for a hobbie and when she breaks i'll fix her up again.

i'l eventualy like to keep her as a weekend driver or a vacation cruizer. and build up a drift/drag car for purpose only.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Buy a MK2 and drop in the 7M you then have the best of both. Plenty of grunt and less weight to push around.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
lilcoope7 said:
does the weight of the supra not matter because of horsepower potential

or are people just into the look of the supra

because personally i love having the targa top off at 130 and the loud exhaust and motor

but its a tank at the line

I don't understand why it would be a tank on the line, when in an episode of BMI (Best Motoring International 1992 I believe) you see a 7M Supra in Japan "jumping" about a car length on a Skyline GTR-R32... (4wd twin turbo) in a 1/4mile drag and also in that respect a Porsche 911 Turbo is probably 1500kg... I don't know why it'd be said its a tank... do a little work should be fine.

Also on BMI in an episode... a Turbo-A the 268HP 7Ms runs a 14.5second quarter mile in the wet...??? Hardly tank my friend.

Like others here I just always loved the look its something unique...

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Actually, compared to many "GT" cars coming out recently, the 3600 pound supra is not that heavy anymore.

Mustang-3600
Mustang cobra-3900
GTO-3800
2008 Infinity G35-3650
BMW M3-3500
BMW M6-3900
2009 evo will be 200 pounds heavier(3250+200=3450).

Now thinking about all the light cars.. Most are FWD economy/sports cars with 4cylinders. Save the corvette and 350Z and the torqueless RX8.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
MRSUPRA said:
Now thinking about all the light cars.. Most are FWD economy/sports cars with 4cylinders. Save the corvette and 350Z and the torqueless RX8.

Torqueless is an understatement with that car. I drove a stock 6 speed once. that bitch reved to 9500 RPM's, but didn't feel like it was doing shit.