will the horsepower potential over do the massive weight

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
LordLo said:
But aren't as reliable, IMO. Most of their engines are interference types... so screwing up the timing is bad. haha.

Who told you this????? I guess people say the 7m is not reliable but whatever I had a 93 G-20 and I bolted on a turbo, some fuel upgrades and a SAFC and the damn thing never gave me any issues.

However nissans power window switches suck! But other than that they are great cars.

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
RedEj8 said:
Umm isnt any OHC engine with a timing belt cosiderd an "interference engine"? supras,dsms,hondas,nissans.. If the timing belt brakes...the valves and pistons will interfere with eachother.
Oh and get an earlier dsm if you like crankwalk.:evil2:

/\ Correct the 7M is non-interference. And don't you mean a later DSM with a 7-bolt if you like crankwalk? The 6-bolt (earlier) can handle a ton, it's all of their trannies that suck.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
interference engines are not the engines you should simply put a few bolt ons. Lat week actually a Skyline jumped a tooth on his timing belt and fucked his entire valvetrain. I hate interference engines....

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
SevenMKIII said:
/\ Correct the 7M is non-interference. And don't you mean a later DSM with a 7-bolt if you like crankwalk? The 6-bolt (earlier) can handle a ton, it's all of their trannies that suck.
Yea thats what i meant..I just know the 4g63s in EVOs dont have that problem.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
RedEj8 - It was the 4G63T that came in 95-99 DSM's that were infamous for crankwalk. Not the 1G's (90-94).

We are non-interference.

*EDIT* Nevermind. You got it. ;)

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
MRSUPRA said:
Weight does matter. But so does power potential. Anything can have power potential, but its that much easier with a big 6 cylinder engine.

Look at this way: Put a T4 turbo capable of making 550rwhp on a supra and put the same T4 turbo on a 1.8 liter honda. They can both max out the turbo and the honda will be faster because of its lighter weight. But the little Honda 4 cylinder will not spool the turbo until very late in the RPM's while the 3.0 liter supra will feel very drivable making plenty of mid range power for everyday driving.

So my point is: Although the surpra is heavy, its engine size with its ability to spool a much larger turbo and make lots of power and torque will clearly make up for its porkyness.

Also Known As... Power to Weight Ratio. ;)

I completely agree with you, though.
Another big factor that has not been mentioned yet while everyone talks about weight and power potential.

Gearing.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I love my 3.91. :) The best of both worlds.

162.5mph @ 6150rpms with room to still climb is FTW. :biglaugh:

Of course, this is accomplished with my cute little 4 speed. :)

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
yeah i like my 3.91's too, but i'll like to put the ring and pinion onto my spair lsd so i'll have a 4.3 lsd,

i like the how stable the supra is at high speeds.

Supra7MG

Supramania Contributor
Oct 13, 2005
Duncansville, PA.
RedEj8 said:
Yea thats what i meant..I just know the 4g63s in EVOs dont have that problem.

They have other issues. Most engines have a weak spot of some sort. My buddy smoked the main bearings in his 03 EVO last spring. A clear case of oil starvation. Did some research and it appears that there is a mysterious disruption of the oil pump drive with these engines. All is well now though, he went 2.2 stroker with a plethora of serious mods and that car rocks now.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Boost Lee said:
I love my 3.91. :) The best of both worlds.

162.5mph @ 6150rpms with room to still climb is FTW. :biglaugh:

Of course, this is accomplished with my cute little 4 speed. :)

True, I like my 3.91 also. I may opt out for the 3.7's though when I'm making bigger power.

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
4.30lsd and loving it! gearing is very important... I raced a guy I know in town who has a supra that has about the same mods as me, but he's got an HKS downpipe rather than my stock turbo elbow and downpipe. and I walked all over him with my 4.30... I don't care if I can go over 200km/h as long as I can get there faster than the other guy.

NeatOman

Never know enough!
Oct 5, 2006
Addison, IL
Makes me wish i had a 6 speed! mmmmm

Think about it... the acceleration of 4.3 and the top end of a 3.7 or 3.9

I wonder if it could even be done easy? I can already see a custom bell housing

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
go get a "beer-can" honda if you want low weight, but if you want luxury and power, then get a Supra. Thats it, everything said.

GT car is GT car, it is made for autobahn's (highways), cruising at high speeds. It's just not some drag or drift car, and get over it.

MKIII are great power plants with luxury, but suck as street racing cars ;)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
lilcoope7 said:
does the weight of the supra not matter because of horsepower potential

or are people just into the look of the supra

because personally i love having the targa top off at 130 and the loud exhaust and motor

but its a tank at the line

What are you getting at? The Supra is not a sports car. It is a GT, grand touring, luxury coupe, or other similar description. Not to be confused with a Mustang GT, which is a pony car, along with the Firebird and Camaro.

My A340E driven, 7MGTE powered sport, roof equiped car is only 3650 lbs. Hardly massive weight.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
Fastest little car ive seen in a while..

Nissan NX with a jdm vvti type motor. 2xx something at the wheels. We are nose and nose and i have more than 100hp on this guy.

A nissan sentra with an sr20 is one of the fastest cars ive seen go on the street ive never seen anything take off so fast in my life.

So I agree with the nissan statement.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
supras dont weigh that much, shit the new ford mustangs are around 4k, the vettes are around the same weight as us as well.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
But the new mustangs have 300hp V8's and the vettes have even more power. And if it weren't for the fact that nobody would by my car in its current gutted track whore state i'd sell it in a heartbeat and by a Nissan, S13 or Z32. But unfortunately i think i'm stuck with my pig so i'll make the best of it. As far as reliability i'm a factory trained Nissan and Toyota tech and have to say Toyota has really let itself go. They just go on this reputation of being reliable, people just go "Its a Toyota, its reliable" well show me some evidence. Reputation is nothing without evidence. Nissan had some problems during pretty much the whole 80's ago but their stuff is pretty stout now. I've seen many old Nissans being in better condition than many old Toyotas around here. But still the Supra has some kind of magic on me, i hate it, but at the same time i love it, and i hate that, lol