will the horsepower potential over do the massive weight

lilcoope7

Aug 8, 2007
McHenry
does the weight of the supra not matter because of horsepower potential

or are people just into the look of the supra

because personally i love having the targa top off at 130 and the loud exhaust and motor

but its a tank at the line

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
starscream5000 said:
It's a GT class car, why try and make it something that it's not?

Thats a good question...... If you want something light then buy something light. Or you can enjoy a car that feels great at high speeds and still has all the nice features a street car should have.

Buy a 4 banger thats turbo'ed if you really want it light then get a DSM, nissan (they make great cars IMO), or a honda and boost it.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
bountykilla0118 said:
Thats a good question...... If you want something light then buy something light. Or you can enjoy a car that feels great at high speeds and still has all the nice features a street car should have.

Buy a 4 banger thats turbo'ed if you really want it light then get a DSM, nissan (they make great cars IMO), or a honda and boost it.

or an rx7 :)

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
I personally dont really like rotary engines ...... So i would never tell a person to get one. I had an 89 N/A it was fun but not my cup of tea.

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
with a little work you can lighten the car up some with out losing comfort such as get aftermarket seats(or factory recaros),lose the spare and jack
lose the stock wheels they weight a ton i beleave 22 pounds each and thats without tires and trust me that lossing unsprung weight makes a big diff compaird tosprung weight so lighten up flywheel,driveshaft i would say lightweight pullys but supra guys seem to hate them lol

LordLo

Jun 20, 2006
OR
cartel1_950 said:
nissan makes scary fast cars for how little mods are done.

But aren't as reliable, IMO. Most of their engines are interference types... so screwing up the timing is bad. haha.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
LordLo said:
But aren't as reliable, IMO. Most of their engines are interference types... so screwing up the timing is bad. haha.

Umm isnt any OHC engine with a timing belt cosiderd an "interference engine"? supras,dsms,hondas,nissans.. If the timing belt brakes...the valves and pistons will interfere with eachother.
Oh and get an earlier dsm if you like crankwalk.:evil2:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
themadhatter said:
with a little work you can lighten the car up some with out losing comfort such as get aftermarket seats(or factory recaros),lose the spare and jack
lose the stock wheels they weight a ton i beleave 22 pounds each and thats without tires and trust me that lossing unsprung weight makes a big diff compaird tosprung weight so lighten up flywheel,driveshaft i would say lightweight pullys but supra guys seem to hate them lol

nothing is wrong with lightweight pulleys, you just dont want underdrive pulleys.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
I'm a strong believer in the "It's a GT car, why make the car something it's not" theory.

Everytime I read a thread where someone is going to crazy lengths to shed weight from their car, and I can't help but find it a silly idea. Removing the spare tire and changing to light weight wheels is all good, but going to crazy lengths like carbon fiber just seems like bit of a waste to me as there are so many better platforms out there to build light weight sports cars.

I'm also a believer that any car, no matter what weight can be made fast, can be made fast with enough money invested.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Weight does matter. But so does power potential. Anything can have power potential, but its that much easier with a big 6 cylinder engine.

Look at this way: Put a T4 turbo capable of making 550rwhp on a supra and put the same T4 turbo on a 1.8 liter honda. They can both max out the turbo and the honda will be faster because of its lighter weight. But the little Honda 4 cylinder will not spool the turbo until very late in the RPM's while the 3.0 liter supra will feel very drivable making plenty of mid range power for everyday driving.

So my point is: Although the surpra is heavy, its engine size with its ability to spool a much larger turbo and make lots of power and torque will clearly make up for its porkyness.