who here stands by the 7m and have 350+ hp reliably

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
im working on my first potential fuck up already and hoping that the rebuild done by the previous owner 4000 miles ago will be good enough to hold 400ish!!

if it fails i know already its my fault, and at that point ill start over and make sure its done right.

so far tho the only problems ive been having are electrical and chassis. engine runs like a beast....when all the damn sensors let it....standalone here i come.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
pogoism9;1232342 said:
I stand by my statement that if the 1JZ would have come to the states, nobody would give a fuck about it. Because its "JDM Tyte yo" everybody seems to want one.

i wouldn't go as far to say that, because it is a very strong, well-designed motor... i was going to get one, and still wouldn't mind having one, but the 7m was so much cheaper.... not to mention lots of mid-range torque to boot :biglaugh::love:

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
figgie;1283522 said:
My car, has never ever left me stranded. EVER.

i have to agree... except for one time when i tried to drive 30 miles across town to a garage to change my blown clutch... while racing (and beating it horribly, mind you) my friends civic occasionally on the way there, so obviously i blew the clutch completely to shreds before i made it there.

the car has broken many times though, and it hasn't been anything that i couldn't fix on the side of the road (or limp home with) <bad injector clip, bad spark lug wire, busted afm, blown off ic pipe, ect.

randandrawson@v

Sep 6, 2008
NC
got mine to around 500 before the stock pistons started to go away.
still runs, just dont drive it. Got a knock in number4 now, bearings look good so I guess the piston or pin is failing.

have'nt popped the head off yet, shop is full of other broken junk.

just did fuel management upgrades injectors, pumps etc, turbo upgrade, hard pipes, real cooler, custom fab 3" exhaust.

Was easy, just turn the boost up till it fails! shit man.

Oh well, next build will get forged pistons and less boost.

anything over 400 hp is silly anyway. just shreds tires.
if that aint quick enough, I got superbikes anyway.

love the 7M. Bass Ass for an old truck motor.
only thing that sucks is the bearing game, but that aint just 7M's.

the kid at the junk yard ought to be fed into a wood chipper. I agree.
Learn to drive.
I've smoked so many stupid kids on these twisty roads out my way it aint funny. Especially humiliating for the Vette guys. all that money and I come along and smoke em in the turns with my ugly ass MKIII!
The look on their face when you pass in a turn is priceless.
Learn to drift you poser!

Im out by the dragons gap in NC. man it eats tires even with the NA!

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Well over 60k miles on 15psi regularly. Car HAS set for a good number of years recently, but it was an electrical gremlin. Stock bottom end (HKS MHG and ARP's + lots of HKS stuff...) Very balance, very strong, VERY smooth, responsive, and reliable for many, many years over the 14 I've owned it.

No dyno number but G-tech showed 387hp and similar on several occasions when I checked years ago. Even more mods now... and I'm going for an eventual 500whp ticket, with mid-400 regularly driven on the stock bottom. I believe strongly that it is possible, but VERY difficult on a SHADY HISTORY MOTOR!

My motor history is all mine since 21k on the clock back in '95, so I'm pretty confident in this car and motor's capabilities.

On a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of "built motors" that are failing due to build error or tune error. A healthy supra is NOT just the sum of the parts... you gotta be a "non-bonehead" as well.;)

-crisp

earlingy

Sep 2, 2008
Huntsville
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE;1232699 said:
I dont know why people would buy a torqueless 1JZ or 2JZ over a 7M? all those RX7 & 240 guys are high not swapping in a 7M.
After all the 7M issues are the 99% drivers fault.

I have a 240sx, a supra, and a 7MGTE in the garage soon to replace my supra's 7MGE. The thought that did cross my mind was that I could rebuild the 7MGE and turn that little 130horsepower nissan go kart into quite a beast... Just to throw another engine in the comparison...an SR20DET has 200horsepower stock, but nowhere near a 7MGE's instant response and torque...but I would need custom mounts and driveshaft...hmm...

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
nothing wrong with a sr20det, just build it right.No way i'd swap a 7m into one unless the sr20 died and the 7mgte was built and sitting waiting.