which oil to use??

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
JJ is teh man when it comes to oil.
BTW JJ: Finally changed the oil in my subie, used that gallon of Mobil Delvac1 5w40 that i had, and it's so much better... hard to explain, but on the first drive after the change, did it at work, and kinda forgot that i did it... it was so busy that day... drove it home, and on the way, i was thinking "why does my car feel... better?"

I like this stuff. From what I'm seeing, though, looks like cs german 0w30 is teh shit.
What makes it so good is what I'd like to know.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Doesnt pressure seem to become an issue with the 0w30 in the 7M though? I mean if the flow is good then the pressure will be lower, right? How low does your oil pressure go with the 0w? It's probably irrelivent seeing what good it does for the motor, and the viscosity being the same but common sense... idk. Its late haha.

Expect a pm from me in a few months JJ.

Edit: N/m I read on... lol took me forever to read all that but i feel good now. Time to experiment. Something like 0-5W/40 would be good to keep good pressure. 30 should do it though.

Last edited:

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Ok JJ, after reading all that, I am wondering what your recommended oil is for the 7M. I mean it should be a 0W-XX but have you any idea on the weight that gives us the illusive best flow? Im hard pressed to think youll say 30 but i dont know, because its not a high revving engine and the pressure sits kinda low, so wouldnt a 40 weight be enough to give maximum flow at top RPMs?

Idk, but thats what makes sense to me, but its 5:30 here and im about to lose it. lol

LMK, maybe throw in some personal preferences...

Thanks.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Flow is whats key here, not PSI, With 0w-30 I see no difference between PSI once warmed up, than I did with straight 30 weight for the break in. The biggest difference I see is that there is less change in PSI between cold and hot running. This means the oil is flowing better when cold than say a 10 or 20w, and thats what you want for start up. You don't want a thick ass oil just because it shows more PSI, more PSI does not mean more oil flow. The thick oil is hard to pump, so it "backs up" and reads high PSI, this means less oil is flowing. I do belive the links that JJ posted cover this. (there is a trade off, you either get high flow or high PSI)

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
very good info. I really think (since you like to type so much) you should do a large writeup (with links to sources if you want) about different grade oils, filters (including depth filters) change intervals for different types of driving etc etc etc. It would make for a GREAT sticky and very informative reading.

anyways. thanks for the great reading

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
mmmm...new information. My brain likey! It's always interesting to read your thoughts on oil...you seem to know a ton about it. :bigthumb:

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
That link that he posted previously is very good if you havent read it, read it all!

Very nice post up there JJ. I agree this should be stickied.

What I was trying to say was wouldnt you need a slightly thicker oil to get that 10psi to 1000rpm match up... But I guess is doesnt matter, because with a thinner oil, say 30 weight, it would be easy to get 4psi at idle.

Ignore me. :icon_bigg

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Very interesting thread.
I've done some research on oils like JJ, and from a motorcycle standpoint as well. (Oil has to not only lubricate and cool the engine, but deal with being crushed and sheared in the transmission as well on most motorcycles.)

The viscosity falls as the oil is sheared in the gears, and on motorcycles they have proven that synthetic oils last much better than other types.

Based on this, I've started to run somewhat cheaper to buy Rotella T Synth for my cars, and the next oil change will be Redline for the Supra. (And I'm using Redline in the trans and diff too. It's overkill, but what the heck, I'll only change the oil in this car once a year if that since the depth filtration and depth bypass filters should be stopping almost all particulates in the oil. Perhaps next year I'll test this oil when I have a few thousand miles on it and see how the results come back.)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Yes, a shared sump is a killer on oil. Rotella seems to be popular among the bike crowd . It's all I use in my Vulcan. Syn may be better but unlike the Supra I tend to change the oil in the Kawi more often because of the shearing and Rotella is cheap.

I know you have a great depth setup so you might as well get your money's worth from the Redline. Those Group V ester based oils sure do keep an engine clean too. Between their temperature stability and resistance to oxidation their cleaning ability is simply another great reason to use them. Good stuff Redline, although oddly, many see a sharp increase in soft wear medals until it's been run a while. It's good stuff though.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
jetjock said:
I do recommend running one quart over for cooling and just "to be sure".

Being nearly a complete noob on this subject, can you please verify this information for me? Running 1qt over has no negative consequences then as far as slosh, seal pressures, etc? Are you saying its pretty much an urban myth that overfilling your oil volume is bad and can cause problems?

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
cool thanks for that clarification, I think I will up my volume by 1 qt just for good measure (mainly because right now Im burning oil pretty bad. I have a pending rebuild coming up, but having some extra volume in there will give me a little momre leway regarding when I check and/or add oil)

Bars coming soon man...even though its supposed to be well over 100 (record temps for these parts) tomorrow, Im driving down in my no-A/C Supra to Eugene for fitting and welding of GenII. wont be long now

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
jetjock said:
Good deal. Must be nice to have some hot weather up there though. I was driven out of Corvallis in 93 by the rain. When I moved there I shrugged off the wanrings. Said I'd deal with it. Well, guess what? ;)

I still miss the place though, a lot. Green, clean, nice people, a decent airport, lots of tender vittles running around when school was in session, combines in the Christmas parade, the Pepsi Plant lights, Fourth of July down on the river...it was such a nice culture change from California. I lived up on the top of Timber Hill. Is that coffee shop/Starbucks kind of place still in town at the south end? Allan's Beanery or something?

"The Beanery" is still there on Monroe just inside campus. Schools out right now of course so they roll the streets up after 9pm. This year the whole downtown was one big party on the 4th...fireworks sucked like usual though...people watching was what it was all about. I grew up in the Circle/29th St area, so not far from ya, used to ride my dirt bikes up on Timberhill. If you've been gone anywhere as long as I have you wouldnt recognize T.H....some REALLY expensive properties up there, and they go all the way to the water tank now. wont be long and they will connect up with the growth that goes south from CVHS. The new Corvallis High is incredible, reminds me a little of when I went to CV when it was only a couple of years old. But Corvallis never really changes...and some of my family likes it that way....me? I prefer a change of scenery ever so often. Im only back here till the end of Summer, and then Im off to either Austin, or god forbid, Houston.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
jetjock said:
WeezL, I ran exactly what Toyo said for 15 years without problems. I run a quart over these days because it provides a bit of extra cooling and can't hurt. IJ, who me thinks knows his stuff, claims you can run something like 10 quarts in the stock pan before the crank gets in the way. As far as I know windage and splash are the only limitations to running too much. That and what it costs to change to change it.

Btw, wheres my Targa bar? Get a leg up will ya? ;)

Stock, or genuine Turbo A magnesium pan?