which oil to use??

Alex91Mk3

timeshares exchange
Jun 30, 2006
Miami, Fl
www.myspace.com
previously post with wrong title...ooops....wont happen again...which is the best oil (synthetic) and what weight???? i know ... this isnt discount auto parts.... move thread if neceassary.......blah blah blah

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
Alex91Mk3 said:
5w-30... one of the heavier better weights??? and royal purple, never heard of....

Oh man, time to come out from under that rock you are under:

RP is among the top of the line motor oils available today, along with Amsoil, RedLine and the widely available Mobil1.

I run Amsoil 20w50 currently but will be running RedLine 20w50 in the future for comparison.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Thanks JJ, It says "European" on the front, and I think it's as German as I'll be able to find here, this stuff was hard enough to track down. :icon_bigg

EDIT: There has been a lot of threads about oils, but quick and dirty:
Most wear occurs at start up right? So why the hell would you want a thick oil on start up? As with any "problem", you want to target the source, here being start up, so don't pick an oil weight based just on running temp (where little wear occurs) Pick it based on start up, thinner FTW!
I'm in 105 degree temps right now, that is still "cold" to the oil, and the engine dosent run any hotter in these temps..........

Last edited:

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
in the uk ive been advised to use castrol magnatec 10w40. and not to use 10w30 as its far to thin or 20w50 as its far to thick. (good for ford pinto engines tho) and to deffinately avoid synthetic stuff as its far to thin and will fuck up the bearings in no time

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
JJ, I respect you, man. Mainly because you know so much.

That's a good link btw, reading it right now.