Which oil do YOU use??

Status
Not open for further replies.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
When I used dino I used Castrol GTX 10w-40, Now I use Mobil 1 10w-30 for winter and probably will switch to 15w-50 in the summer.

Supra5MGTE

Nov 11, 2005
Tampa, FL
you should be safe switching to a synthetic. if you have a seal on the fritz it might get worse. but like I siad, that's a seal on the fritz... Switching to synthetics isn't that big of a deal, the oil companies just kinda throw that info out there b/c they don't wanna get sued for "making a seal go bad".

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
mobile 1 10w30 full synthetic. :) i'll probably end up getting something a bit heavier for the summer.

-shaeff

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Trucks don’t do stop and go traffic? I’m not sure where you live but here in SoCal no truck operates without copious amounts of stop and go in Major traffic, and sometimes in temps above 100. Like I mentioned, I as many others have never been caught up in the multi weight advertising blitz. I prefer to use what folks use to earn their living and that’s straight weight oils. I also stated that if you study your Supra Owners manual you’d see that in temperatures like we have here in SoCal you certainly want to run a thinker oil. I would think that would be the same if you were a hard driver like I am and tend to get your engine pretty heated up just driving to and from work. If there were negative's to it I would never know. I've never burned a valve, spun a bearing or starved a dual overhead camshaft of oil. I base my opinions on experience and owning almost 30 cars since I was 14 with many engines hand built by me. Granted this is my first Toyota but I've owned 4 fiats and ran the same oil in them years ago chalking up well over 100k miles on all of them. I think if you do some research on oil and keep an open mind I believe you'll find many engineers that have the same opinion as mine. I’ve added some links for some great reading on oil’s and filters.
Geezer

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/oil_viscosity.html

http://www.repairfaq.org/filipg/AUTO/F_oil_facts.html#OILFACTS_004

http://www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
IJ. said:
Biggest "issue" with multiweight Oils is for 5 quarts of Oil only 4 are actually Oil the other quart is "Viscosity Index Improver".

Thats not true with Group IV or V syns. As Geezer says, there is so much myth and misinformation about oil the only way to get the real facts is to study the science behind it in depth. A good place to start is here: http://tinyurl.com/b7kr6

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
JJ: I was only talking about Mineral oils as I know bugger all about Synthetics ;)

This is the first time I've used it!

Thanks for the link I'll check it out after work today.

Red Dragon

Keep That on the Down Low
Jan 5, 2006
Austin, TX
mobile 1 synthetic for ever, just switched to red line 10w-30, just to see if I could tell any kind of difference, coupled with the fact the car will probably see 1-2k miles a year from now on, so cost wasn't such a factor.

although i think it must be thinner or something, cause now i get litle puffs of burning oil from the turbo sometimes after hard run, im hoping its just leaking at the oil lines, and not something more major....

I would recommend not to run pennzoil in anything. Pennzoil is a cheap oil which has a high wax content and will after repeated use will gum up and coat and clog up an engine. Ive seen many engines that have only used pennzoil and are gummed up and coated with a waxy residue.
just my opinion and 2 cents

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I would recommend not to run pennzoil in anything. Pennzoil is a cheap oil which has a high wax content and will after repeated use will gum up and coat and clog up an engine.
Not true. Wax(parafin) is an additive. And pretty much all your name brands use it. Maybe not synthetic. Not to say Pennsylvania crude oil didnt have more.

Pennzoil used to be from Pennsylvania crude oil. So was Quaker State. They had a lot of sulfur content, too much in fact. But with the modern pipeline system, this is no longer the case. Same with gas. It all comes from local refinery. Some stations will add more detergent, some wont.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Jetjock, thanks great link and some great reading. I too have read that, but as with many topics online there are differeing opinions I'm posting another site showing an ambient temp graph with recommened viscosities of oils to show there are many differring views. As I said I go with my own personal high mileage experience but it's not to say what's right and what's wrong just more food for thought.
Geezer

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/engineoil_bible.html

Status
Not open for further replies.