Where/How did you get YOUR MK3(s)?

AlexSmith

Argue this!
Feb 16, 2007
DFW Texas
I thought this would be an interesting topic for us MK3 guys. I'll start. I have only one Supra and I bought it from a an asian guy down the street from my friend's house, while I was living with him for the summer 2004. I had just started considering MK3 Supras, for obvious reasons and stopped by their house to look at it. I had to speak to his ounger sister(kinda cute) because she spoke English. I test drove the car, and decided that it would be mine no matter what. I gave her the few hundred cash I had and told her to take the "For sale" sign off and I would keep paying her until the entire debt was cleared. A few weeks later I became a MK3 Supra owner and been loving/hating it ever since

-Alex

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
I got my first supra From my cousin. A red 91 turbo auto with 60k miles on it, Targa.

It blew a head gasket after having it for a week, I gave it to my uncle, Who now has it running and is amazing.

My second supra, was a white 87 NA that i converted to 5spd.

That is when i got into supras, The community that is. It was an odd car, that i wish i still had. Brown cloth, kanamari spoiler. But it was still an NA.

Got that for $1200

And now i have my current MK3, I got it from Turbo Joe last December. I love it!

Blue 1989 1jz hardtop 5spd.

From Supraforums

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Bought an 89 Turbo Targa auto with bhg for $600 from a member here.

Bought a 91 Turbo Targa 5spd blown motor without any of the drivetrain from a friend i work with/member on here (Odomd).

So far, I made 1 complete car out of both (the 91' I kept), 1jz/r154 swap, and a lot of goodies. I'll be doing a build thread come may when I get back to the states.

aggie08281

supra junkie
Feb 4, 2006
Houston
yeah a 1jz you got from HOUSTON, hellslegion,...damn you. jk, lol. I got mine from an old dude when I was 15. He said he didn't want his kid driving fast...6 months after i got it it blew the headgasket. 2 years later i swapped the engine with a JDM and a year later BHG again. It's running fine now...all stock though.

89BklynSupra

Jun 13, 2005
Carteret, NJ
Well, my fisrt MK3 was sitting at a friends yard (junk yard) in Long Island, NY for over 2 year and I didn't notice it til I needed a car. My father pointed it out and it was the last car in the lot out of 50 cars. I had to jump and climb over cars to get to it. When I asked my friend how much for it he said "well the car don't start and the motor is shot, give me $400 for it". I got the money and the following week I picked it up and took it to my uncle's shop. There me and my father cranked the engine by hand with a wrench and then tried to start it. It started right up. The motor had the beginning of BHG. The HG was slightly burnt @ cyl. #6, it was changed and the MK3 was great til Jan '06 when I got to an accident.

I picked up my second on Feb '06 in NH and have not done nothing to it yet. Soon my build will start.

(sorry for the long rant... LOL :biglaugh: )

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Was at work when one of my customers asked if I knew anyone interested in an 88 Supra. Looked at it the next day and bought it for $600. 1 fuel pump and alternator later I am enjoying this car.

Imprezademics

Life Is Good!
Mar 16, 2007
The First State
When i bought my first supra i saw it in autotrader. Some dude in Philly was selling it. Met up with him, LOVED the car, bought it that day for $4500. It was in great shape. It was a 91 Turbo with targa top, grey leather seats all the power options... One of the best days of my life. I sold it about 2 years later due to so many engine problems but i do plan on getting another one in the next few years. Cant wait!

Willie

Frozentide

TRD-4-LIFE!!!
Mar 15, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
I bought mine at the end of September 06 from the original owner, through an Auto Trader posting. I found the add the 2nd day it was up and paid the deposit within another 2 days.

Only 112,XXX kms on it, and it was all original and all mint! Then I got into a bit of an accident and had it repaired back to brand new using either mint or brand new parts from Toyota (yes Im just that hardcore), some parts from as far as California. There is no such thing as TOO good for this car, yes I am DEFINITLY in love!!

I have always been a Toyota only person and always will be!! TRD 4 LIFE!!!

claricae86

Aug 23, 2006
oklahoma
i actually saw my supra on ebay and flew up to chicago to purchase it. 70k orignal miles with mild goodies for 5800. some valves are knocking now due to a cheap mbc but new valves are in and will be running soon. love my supra even though it was pricey

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I got mine for free from my uncle and spent way to much money on it. But I plan to spend 2x what I spent already this summer lol.

blackgamer16

Supra Driver
Apr 27, 2005
Sooner Country
I bought mine Supra with all kinds of leaves/dust collecting on it (been sitting since 95 and bought in 05, All it could do is crank and no start and really just sat for years for someone to figure out what was wrong with her. Told the guys who i bought it from i'll give em a call. Left the scene after 30 mins and told them i'll be back next wk to pick her up. 700 dollars and a tow later it was sitting in my driveway. Turned out a whole laundry list of problems but meh, its only money! In the the long run; it was the best decision i ever made.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Back in 1997 I was in the market for a replacment for my old T04 1977 2 litre Mitsubishi Lancer and bought an auto supermarket mag to flick through!

I got it down to a short list of 5>6 various cars but hadn't really noticed the Mk3 on the cover!

Long story short a young guy went overseas got in trouble so his Dad sold the car to bail him out at 5K under market value at the time! the rest is history :)

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
i bought mine from a friend for 1400 dollars, later found out it had a BHG and repaired it myself...i think it had block sealer in it. new windshield for about 350....so i figure i've put about 2700 into it alltogether...ish. not sure. i stopped caring.

i love it though.... friends always compliment on it, people that walk past as i fuel up...etc... its nice. right now, being a rather new driver the N/A is more than enough power and speed for me, but some day i hope to buy a turbo with a 1jz so i can be rid of the BHG and associated lubrication issues...unless i can find time and still have space to build up a 7mgte... but yeah, i'm pretty much hooked.

either way. supra for life..or at least...most of it.

Qnzfinestplaya

Supra Heaven
Nov 4, 2006
Queens Ny
Mine was weird, A friend of mine called me asking if i knew anyone who wanted a supra, I was like yeah me!, so he told me it was a friend of his car and its been sitting for 5 years just collecting dust. He gave me his friends number and when i spoke to him, he said hes giving it away for free and that there is someone in front of me waiting in line for it, but he didnt have the title. Funny thing is, the day i went to meet him to see the car, he found the title and the guy who was waiting got tired and said he didnt want it anymore, so I go to see the car in Staten Island and I brought a battery with me, car started right up and i slapped on my plates and drove her home! had her since Sept 06

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
I bought my first one in Sept of 05. I was sitting in Dairy Queen with my friends looking for a new car because I just wrecked my truck. My parents picked out a Maxima for me the night before and gave me the number, so I tried calling the guy while we were in DQ, he didnt answer so i left a message. I started looking at Supras for the hell of it in the magazine. I saw an 87 N/A hardtop for sale for $1300. As a joke, I said to my friends, lets get it. They all laughed. I called the guy and it sounded pretty good. So I go home, get the cash ready just in case I wanted it. My mom was yelling at me to not buy it and I said ok. So we went to go look at it and a fell in love on the spot. It poured smoke on start-up and not knowing anything about BHGs I offered him $1000. The smoke just turned out to be some water thank god. I had no clue how to drive stick shift, so the test drive was fun. I ended up learning how to drive stick on the way home. I got home and told my mom to look at my new car. She was screaming WTF is that!! So that was the story of the first supra. I ended up blowing the motor, snapped a valve and broke a piston.

I got the second supra in december. I ran into an old friend at school, he was here on the boards (88TARGATOP). I met him from this thread (LINK) I helped him get his vacuum lines in order to get his car running. We lost contact with each other until one day, sometime after i blew my engine, i met him again at school. He asked how my supra was, and i told him im sending it to the junkyard soon. He offered to give me his supra, I told him id rather pay him. So a few weeks later i went to take a look at it. It had no radiator and a blown head gasket. I bought it for $500 about a week after i went to look at it. Now it has a USDM GTE in it and I couldnt be happier. And that is the story of both of them.