What is the worst mistake you have ever done to your supra?

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Fixing my 7M instead of getting a 1JZ.:biglaugh:
I hate the 7M's constant needs and problems. I probably won't be happy till I remedy that problem. As far as stupid things...I didn't replace the exhaust studs while the head was out and like 6 months later found myself helicoiling the head in-car....PITA:cry:

SuprA70

SF.com 'Grounded' Champ
ms07s said:
Fixing my 7M instead of getting a 1JZ.:biglaugh:
I hate the 7M's constant needs and problems. I probably won't be happy till I remedy that problem.

The 1JZ isn't invincible. That and motor swaps bring with themselves all sorts of new problems.

Don't get me wrong, I like my 1JZ and how it feels... but I enjoyed my 7M also.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
SuprA70 said:
The 1JZ isn't invincible. That and motor swaps bring with themselves all sorts of new problems.

Don't get me wrong, I like my 1JZ and how it feels... but I enjoyed my 7M also.
I know this, I just hate my 7M because of how much trouble it has given me lately. No engine is perfect but the one I have should have been replaced instead of fixed.:3d_frown:

sm00p

Dec 14, 2006
New York
My biggest mistake is what also turned out to be the start of my supra career and not such a bad mistake after all. I bought an '87 turbo with a "blown head gasket". When I went to look at it, the belt squeeled so much I couldn't actually hear the engine but I was like screw it. It seems good. BHG won't be that bad to fix. The bad part is that it had rod knock...on 3 cylinders. I bought it almost a year ago and finally during thanksgiving break I got it running normally. Damn supras! They're like the really psychologically messed up girls. You know you should stay away from them, but for some reason....you're drawn in.

kjj512

May 27, 2006
PA
Wiisass said:
Nothing that I've done to the car. But I did throw out a decent condition targa shell because I didn't have anywhere to keep it and couldn't give it away to anyone local.

You could also say that thinking we could swap in a stock engine with 220,xxx miles on it and put the first full mile on it in the car at a drift event. That was a bit of a mistake because after a year of work it lasted one day before rod knock.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Cross threaded the drain plug, left a full engine's worth of oil on my buddy's driveway on start up. Like 4 years ago when I was 16 or 17. Live and learn.

Yeah... I'll go with that.

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
My worst mistake would have to be....buying the Supra.
I love Supras and have learned a LOT from it but all it is is a money sink. Every time I fix something, another problem arises.

Hell, I paid 3500$ for an auto GE and less than 2k miles later I hit a stop sign and later go rod knock. Dropped an assload of money into rebuilding the shitty GE. Even though I've replaced a ton of things on it, I still keep running into problems. Problems = money. Money = gone because I spent it on the rebuild.

Sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest. I'm feelin pretty shitty about the car right now...hell I would sell it but it's not worth anything compared to the time, money, blood, and sweat I've put into it.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Biggest mistake is spending 3 years ignoring it in my backyard. out of those 3-going on 4 years ive had it i only drove it about 7-8 months. I take it apart and spend a year deciding what i want to do, then put it back together. right now im in the deciding phase...again.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
starscream5000 said:
Bought it, not a joke here.

Should have waited for a better one with a straight body. :nono:

:werd: i should've just waited and paid more than 1200 for one that wasn't a piece, instead of paying a small price and eventually having to put a lot of money into it anyway to where it adds up to like 3 grand.:3d_frown:

SuprA70

SF.com 'Grounded' Champ
OneJoeZee said:
Cross threaded the drain plug, left a full engine's worth of oil on my buddy's driveway on start up. Like 4 years ago when I was 16 or 17. Live and learn.

Yeah... I'll go with that.

I remember that like it was yesterday... and it was the oil filter that you cross-threaded you noob :icon_razz