washed engine- car sounds like a lawn mower.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Quite a few JJ ;)

Have to admit though a few days before I hit the dyno recently I pressure washed the engine bay and managed to get water in the plug valley that caused a mystery missfire that took me a couple of days to find!

(didn't wash the motor so didn't think to look there)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I've washed this engine dozens of times using those coin operated car wash wands back in the days when they wouldn't arrest your ass for it. These days I use the hose at home after a solvent gun pushing a mild degreasing agent. The only problems I've ever had was an occasional misfire with distributer equipped engines from condensation inside the cap but that was before I learned how to avoid it. Zero problems with this engine. Never used a pressure washer though. I'll have to borrow my neighbors and try it ;)

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
if your frame is bent,you mught b lookinhg into more expenses than you might be wiling to cough up.
lose this Supra,and start over,or it will drain your bank account.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
i wash my engine compartment and engine whenever it looks dirty. the important thing is to know what can and cannot get wet!
i avoid the galley as much as possible,and have only pressure washed the lower parts to get aged grease and gunk off.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Dont avoid it just know what your doing remove the wires or coilpacks and remove large objects in the way like the intake on 7m coil packs 1jz and clean the crap out of it leave your old spark plugs in the holes to avoid getting water in the cylinder. scrub all the build up grime oil crap out of the valley once your done attack it with a wet dry vac suck all the crap out of there then allow to blow dry or dry off on its own the rest of the way put every thing back on, shinney and perfect as new.

DDR_Man70

May 16, 2007
fairfield, ca
Mk3runner said:
hate to be a dick... but seeing two topics back to back with the titles both in CAPS kinda pisses me off. idk maybe I'm just tired or something... w/e best of luck theciviceater89, I remember when my friend got his mk3 and coolant shot all over the engine bay it ran like shit for like 10 miles.

that happens to be me... only mines ran bad for about 5 to 10 minutes then cleared up and ran good.

May 23, 2007
oakdale, california
thanks for all the help guys..i actually dont think the frame is bent, but one side of the car sits just a tad hirer than the other...but i dunno. i did however, take the time to read all of these posts, i guess my response didnt show up in time..so ya, sorry guys. im greatly in debt for your help.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
Zomg!

Lesson for today: Friends dont let friends pressure wash engines unless they know how to.

So practice safe washing, use a wash rag :)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Unless he's doing it with the oil cap off I don't see how water could get into the engine during a wash down. Besides, there's water in the oil lots of times. Condensation for example. Hell, the main byproduct of proper combustion is water. Good thing most of it vapors off when the oil gets hot. Kinda like water spilled on the outside of the engine does ;)

Now water left in the oil, say from a car parked too long or short trips where the oil doesn't get up to temp, is bad. The water reacts with combustion byproducts to form sulphuric acid. It's what lowers the oil's TBN and is why oil changes must be done more often in a car used for short trips.