washed engine- car sounds like a lawn mower.

May 23, 2007
oakdale, california
ok guys, im hecka new to this forum, and new to cars in general. but i will try very hard not to be ignorant or stupid.

now. i have a problem on my hands with my 89 turbo. i bought it for 1200 bucks 5 days ago, ran fan until i put water on the engine.probably stupid of me, but like i said, im new to cars. i have some symptoms of a blown head gasket, but not enough for me to think thats what it is. smoke comes form the exhaust, but it is kinda blueish. my moms boyfriend who is pretty good with cars said it was blue form the oil leak i have. the actual problem with the car is the it sounds like a mo foin lawn mower and there is a big loss of power. but no chocolate milk or white smoke like there is when i have a BHG....so...wtf is wrong with my car? i read the owners manual, and tried to get the whole code thing down, and it came up with code 22? temp sensor or something like that. does anyone have any ideas?? please help a brotha out lol. peace guys!

suprat13

Jun 14, 2005
tn
theciviceater89 said:
ok guys, im hecka new to this forum, and new to cars in general. but i will try very hard not to be ignorant or stupid.

now. i have a problem on my hands with my 89 turbo. i bought it for 1200 bucks 5 days ago, ran fan until i put water on the engine.probably stupid of me, but like i said, im new to cars. i have some symptoms of a blown head gasket, but not enough for me to think thats what it is. smoke comes form the exhaust, but it is kinda blueish. my moms boyfriend who is pretty good with cars said it was blue form the oil leak i have. the actual problem with the car is the it sounds like a mo foin lawn mower and there is a big loss of power. but no chocolate milk or white smoke like there is when i have a BHG....so...wtf is wrong with my car? i read the owners manual, and tried to get the whole code thing down, and it came up with code 22? temp sensor or something like that. does anyone have any ideas?? please help a brotha out lol. peace guys!

If you washed the engine you more than likely got the plugs/wires wet causing them to misfire. That is most likely the cause of power loss. Remove the plugs and let everything dry out.

Neil

Poker of the Smot
Apr 29, 2006
In the Supe
Blue smoke just means your burning oil. Do you have an exhaust leak to make your car sound like crap?

May 23, 2007
oakdale, california
well, the guy i bought the car form said he took comsething out of the cat...then welded it back in to make it pass smog...now i think the weld is partially cracked...not sure though.,

May 23, 2007
oakdale, california
also, any advice from goin to 5spd manual tranny from auto??

i hate automatics...i get caught up in looking around so i feel more likely to crash than when i am driving stick and constantly focusing on the car...plus its cool lol.

Cya

Aug 12, 2005
Columbia, S.C>
Blue smoke sounds like piston rings. The lawn mower symptons sound like your wires, minds sounded like that when my plug wire jumped out of its whole. There was a big power loss and lots of smoke.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Wait, you put water ON the engine?? Like you pressure washed it?

If that's the case, the check the area between the valve covers where your spark plugs go. It tends to fill with water, and then your car will run like crap. :)

May 23, 2007
oakdale, california
no, i ddint pressure wash it. just turned on my hose. i lifted the hood, and lend the air cool down the engine for liek ten minutes first, then i washed it off, cuz my radiator cap came off while i was driving lol. so i was gunna wash off all the dirty water, so i sprayed water all up on the engine, and then when i turned it back on to go pick up a pizza, it sounded like shite. and had a masive power loss. like at 4500 prm, i was doing maybe 15 mph...but me and a buddy were tweakin with stuff yesterday, and it ran fan for a bit. but when i turned it off, and we sprayed brake cleaner in certain places to see if there was a vaccuum hose leak, i think we got the stuff wet again and now it runs like crap again....but brake cleaner and stuff shouldnt do that, should it?

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Jesus...you're gonna have fun...

Take out all of the plug wires, and use paper towels to soak up all of the water that has collected down between the valve covers where the spark plugs go. 99% chance that's your problem.

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
www.ArizonaPerformance.com
Chances are you did several things wrong.

First of all dont take the plugs out, take the plug wires out. Take the valley cover off and blow comnpressed air in there until its dry, I repeat DONT TAKE THE PLUGS OUT if you think there is water in the valley.

2nd you probably got multiple electrical components wet. After your confident you have no water in the spark plug valley, use compressed air to blow off each electrical connection, you might possibly need to remove the connection to blow the water out of each connection. If you can leave the car running when you blow off the electrical components, you might discover the exact item that caused the problem.

I would start with the TPS then the CPS, then each injector, then the AFM if that dosent do it, I will be surprised.

This isnt a brand new GM vehicle you cant just hose off an engine. Every electrical connector and wire on these cars are so brittle and dry rotted, they arent really designed to be powerwashed or hosed off. Next time use a damp cloth and a sponge to clean your Antifreeze/mississippi rover bottom mud off of your engine.

As for the exhaust leak you might want to consider a better description of where the noise is coming from.

Chances are you didnt screw anything permanent. CHILL Go Slow and methodical from here on out, do one thing at a time , then see if that fixed it. Dont do 10 things and cause yourself another problem then you will have no idea what one of those 10 things plus your existing hose-off problems is really your problem.

One thing at a time.

Last edited:
May 23, 2007
oakdale, california
lol, in this case, you are right. but keep in mind, i have only owned the friggin thing for five days...and prior to owning my siupra, i didnt know JACKa about cars..so please, gimme a break dude

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
dude, your engine is not broken.

if it ran fine before, that means you fuc*^$d something up on your own.just backtrack.

FIRST get the damn water out of your spark plug galley.

Change your Spark plugs
change your air filter
change your oil/ filter
change your coolant

if ya cant do that take it in for a tune up AFTER you do that and stop hosing down your electronics you can start looking for real problems.

come back w/ results.

Merlyn

Mar 9, 2007
Maryland
Was the engine hot? Cold water on a Hot metal = Cracks... atleast what i have always been told about washing engines....