torque wrench..

tokiMK3

Nov 28, 2007
phoenix
does brand matters? craftsman, great neck, duralast etc... please post your opinion or your brand you've experience with.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I've got a Snap-On beam type and Craftsman click type. Nothing but good experiances. Very accurate.

Entropy

No Supra... For now ;)
Apr 10, 2007
Lacey, WA
I've got an S&K click style torque wrench, and its pretty good. Have had it for 4 years now, and I believe its still accurate.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
I have a Craftsman and a Snap-on. Nothing but constant accracy so far. Greatneck and duralast... never had their torque wrenches, but if their other tools are any indicator they will suck and/or snap in half.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
snap on is probably your best bet but very expencive. I was given a small swivel head snap on torque wrench that goes up to 75 ft lbs. Works very well, but even that is worth like 3-400 dollars i think. Just remember to ALWAYS set the wrench back to 0 when you put it away, the spring will lose tension if you always leave it loaded and the accuracy goes away. Have it calibrated once a year if you use it a lot and need it very precise

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
snap on makes good tools. Craftsmen is nice because it's really easy to replace and most everything is always in stock. I don't hesitate to bash and bang my craftsmen tools because I know that I can always replace it, and, if you can break it into enough pieces you might even be able to get two replacements.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
bowsercake said:
Craftsmen is nice because it's really easy to replace and, if you can break it into enough pieces you might even be able to get two replacements.

lmao, never heard put that way before

pb92supraturbo

FTG & the IRL!
Aug 20, 2005
Garage, under Supra
Craftsman torque wrenches . . . 1 year warranty - no more, no less unless you buy their 'Professional' series. After 1 year if it breaks, it’s on you. I found out the hard way and have since replaced with Snap On torque wrenches.

bowsercake said:
snap on makes good tools. Craftsmen is nice because it's really easy to replace and most everything is always in stock. I don't hesitate to bash and bang my craftsmen tools because I know that I can always replace it, and, if you can break it into enough pieces you might even be able to get two replacements.

Last edited:

Clied

Wangan Supra
Jun 8, 2006
NorCal
I get 50% off on all Snap On tools at my school. But their tools are still hella expensive!!!

I just buy the cheap made in taiwan stuff.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Clied said:
I get 50% off on all Snap On tools at my school. But their tools are still hella expensive!!!

I just buy the cheap made in taiwan stuff.

I hope you never do any sort of heaed or block assy. with those tools. I grew up with taiwan crap.... But after becoming a professional technician and meeting my snap on rep..... Snap on or bust. Plus snap on has credit through Snap On financial or through the truck if your rep is cool you can have out $1000 worth of tools and just make weekley or monthly payments
I have spent a butt load of money ( $12k to date) with them, but i consider that everytime i need a tool, i have it and it's not broken. Hey don't get me wrong even snap on breaks.... i've broke my share, but at least you get a new one, and the quality is second to none. Just my opinion :icon_razz

I'm gonna email this thread to my snap on rep and see about some freebies for advertising LOL

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
3/8" and 1/2" both Matco. Same quality/warranty as Strap-On. For the average civilian, I'd say get the craftsman, but I didn't know it only had a 90 day warranty.

shepfly

Jul 23, 2007
Ohio
Mechanical TQ wrenches (click,dial, or beam type) are basically a good guess at what torque you have applied. They are plus or minus 10% when certified by an accredited lab, then you add operator error to the equation, so what have you got? I would suggest you buy the best one you can afford,read the manual, and have a rebuilder show you how to get repeatable results. What you want is even clamping force on every fastner on your assembly. A transducer torque wrench is presently the most accurate hand method of achieving this. They should be 2-5% under lab conditions.

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
shepfly said:
Mechanical TQ wrenches (click,dial, or beam type) are basically a good guess at what torque you have applied. They are plus or minus 10% when certified by an accredited lab, then you add operator error to the equation, so what have you got? I would suggest you buy the best one you can afford,read the manual, and have a rebuilder show you how to get repeatable results. What you want is even clamping force on every fastner on your assembly. A transducer torque wrench is presently the most accurate hand method of achieving this. They should be 2-5% under lab conditions.

Wwo. That's some deep stuff there. Kinda took the wind outta my sail now.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
yes, but something that accurate is not necessary for 99% of the people out there...

aerospace industry would require such precision though...

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
Poodles said:
yes, but something that accurate is not necessary for 99% of the people out there...

aerospace industry would require such precision though...

Ok, thanks. I'm excited once again. :D It's actually on my christmas list too.