Tim's 1jz Big Single swap

werewolves182

is without a supra :(
Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
more updates with good and bad news...
My welders wire feed motor broke today so I had to borrow my friends and hook my gas up to it. That kinda sucked but oh well.
I started my downpipe today. I was kinda expecting it to be a little fun to make and such but oh boy, it was painful...literally. Ive got such bad welders burn right now thanks to short sleeves.

Anyway on with the pictures...
p612844_1.jpg

p612844_2.jpg

p612844_3.jpg

p612844_4.jpg

p612844_5.jpg

p612844_6.jpg

Slowly but surely it progressed to look something like a downpipe. And i got my wideband bung welded on.
p612844_7.jpg

p612844_8.jpg

Wastegate dump tube
p612844_9.jpg

And its done after a little exhaust wrap.
p612844_10.jpg

p612844_11.jpg

p612844_12.jpg

p612844_13.jpg

p612844_14.jpg

So thats all great news, time for the bad/possibly catastrophic news. :(

I went for a test drive after setting a bunch of stuff in E-Manage. Only as soon as boost was generated I was getting a LOUD tapping noise from the engine bay which I think could be my downpipe hitting my manifold/fame/whatever. Also after about 5 mins or so of driving I was making a very loud whine/squeal. It sounded really bad but the pitch didnt change at all with engine RPM, it was constant. When I got back home I let it idle for about 30 secs and turned it off. Waited an hour while I tried to figure out what it was. Turned it back on and it sounds completely normal.

Any ideas what could be making this noise? I know I primed the turbo right, pulled the EFI fuse and cranked with the oil feed disconnected and waited for flow. Connected the line and cranked more to get oil in the turbo. Put the fuse back in and started it up. I am little confused.

werewolves182

Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
Um....sorta. I just work really hard in the time I do have off. I am in school full time (senior in high school), work till 8pm every day after school. The only days I have off are friday and saturday. Thats when I do all my car stuff.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Lets bring this from the dead...

Looking real good. Hopefully you'll make it up to the Philly meet so we can see it.

BTW, the y-pipe didn't clear my motor mount brackets and I had to pursuade it with my "Thor" hammer. I think it's because I have an 89+ and didn't have to use the BIC mounts.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
werewolves182 said:
Um....sorta. I just work really hard in the time I do have off. I am in school full time (senior in high school), work till 8pm every day after school. The only days I have off are friday and saturday. Thats when I do all my car stuff.

Pretty nice car for a HS student.... I only had a stock Supra with exhaust and intake in HS.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
werewolves182 said:
No shit, I had no idea that would happen. Sorry for no heads up about that. Where was the pipe hitting?

Nah, it's no big deal. Don't sweat it. The piping closest to the engine was hitting the motor mount bracket.

werewolves182

Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
OneJoeZee said:
Pretty nice car for a HS student.... I only had a stock Supra with exhaust and intake in HS.

Thanks Joe. My first car was an 89 Turbo 5-speed and since then ive moved on up. I like being the guy that stands out in HS with a Clean, fast, older car and a perfect driving record. There are too many people, especially in HS that rice out their cars and have mommy and daddy but them nice cars just to wreck them.

Sorry for the rant...:icon_evil it was just in my train of thought.

supraracer49

3rd Gen Life
Nov 20, 2006
WNC
werewolves182 said:
Thanks Joe. My first car was an 89 Turbo 5-speed and since then ive moved on up. I like being the guy that stands out in HS with a Clean, fast, older car and a perfect driving record. There are too many people, especially in HS that rice out their cars and have mommy and daddy but them nice cars just to wreck them.

Sorry for the rant...:icon_evil it was just in my train of thought.

Yeah everyone at my HS has cavi's with cherrybombs and little ricer civics. Then there was me rollin in my mint 89 with a 1JZ.:naughty: