Tim's 1jz Big Single swap

werewolves182

is without a supra :(
Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
Well today I made a little progress..sorta kinda. More like got some new goodies. If you have never ordered form siliconeintakes.com, consider doing so. I ordered this stuff monday morning and it came today and at a great price.
I got a 4" coupling, 2.5" 90* elbow, 2.5" 45* elbow, and a bunch of T-bolt clamps.
p580082_1.jpg

And Thanks to IdealSupra I wolnt be single tire fire anymore due to a bad LSD.
p580082_2.jpg

The trunk of your car makes for great storage. BTW if you need anything thats stock twin related in this picture let me know and ill give you a good price!
p580082_3.jpg

And finally the progress I made today, rerouted some coolant lines.
p580082_4.jpg

Im not sure if im allowed to sell anything in my build thread but...Ive got a HKS BOV stock mount and a stock BOV block off plate for sale. $15 for the stock mount and well the block off plate is now sold to Brewster. Thanks man!
p580082_5.jpg

Last edited:

werewolves182

Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
While having nothing to do with going single, I just got my JZA70 front turn signals and 2.5 TT grilles in the mail. The TT grille is a little out of place though :D
sm_photo_missing.jpg

werewolves182

Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
And a few hours later everything fits great. Since I have an 87 with a 89+ front end but kept the 87 upper nose piece I had to cut off the turn signal mounting brackets and reweld them on in a different spot. Plus I had to make 2 new brackets. Kinda painful but it looks great.
p582105_1.jpg

werewolves182

Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
Still collecting parts. And my manifold still hasnt come yet, the idiots on ebay are pissing me off. However thanks to Boost Logic I got my oil line kit in. It looks great by the way.
p588962_1.jpg

And I got some more stuff in from summit. 3in tubing to make my downpipe with a flex section and a v-band kit with the weld on flange for the turbo housing.
p588962_2.jpg

werewolves182

Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
Still no manifold yet but once again more parts have come in.
Thanks alot to the guys at drift motion for the 50mm Wastegate and dump tube. Awesome deal.
p593674_1.jpg

And thanks to Robert at 935, I got my new K&N filter and 4" intake pipe at a great price.
p593674_2.jpg

In other notes, I welded the vband flange to the turbine housing today. I just got gas for the welder a week ago and havent mastered it with the gas yet so the weld isnt um...perfect.
p593674_3.jpg

Stay tuned for more updates hopefully very soon once I get the manifold.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Looking good Tim. I"ve got that same wastegate on my car. I had to have the dump tube welded on. You should be able to do it yourself though. Keep us updated and keep the pictures coming. I can't wait to see some dyno videos.................Jay

werewolves182

Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
Thanks Jay. I shouldn't have nay problem welding the dumptube to the flange plus Ive got to make my own downpipe. I am so anxious to dyno and tune this thing its not even funny. There will be some good videos and hopefully better numbers to come.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I never doubted your ability for a second. I've wanted to go buy a welder a few times, but each time I change my mind. I've had to have my welding done and alot of times it's a pain in the ass to drive your car somewhere to have your exhaust welded on or my dump tube etc. I had to cut mine at a steep angle to get it to miss my fire wall. My exhaust is hitting it and making it rattle just a bit. I'm going to have someone else try and heat it and move it over about an eighth of an inch so it doesn't vibrate so bad.

Good luck sir.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Welcome to the "more filter, less pipe" club.

The dump tube just has to come straight down off the wastegate. The cheater way to do it, is cut the bend at a bit of an angle.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
935motorsports said:
Welcome to the "more filter, less pipe" club.

The dump tube just has to come straight down off the wastegate. The cheater way to do it, is cut the bend at a bit of an angle.

That's exactly what I had to do. I had to cut it at a long angle. There wasn't any room to play with at all. It works, and it sounds great, but I'd say you have to weld it on any way you can get it to fit. Good luck, and if you still need pictures just let me know and I'll see what I can get you.

werewolves182

Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
Another small update. I wired up my Greddy E-Manage Blue today, what a pain in the ass. I got the Main harness, Injector harness, and Ignition harness. My Boost harness and sensor is an the way. Anyway everything was soldered and shrink wrapped. Hopefully wont have any problems.

Apparently Greddy decided to make the English version of the manual for wiring and whatnot almost impossible to read, it looks like it was scanned and printed crooked on the papers. If anyone needs any help with wiring this up to a 1jz let me know, ive gathered EVERYTHING to make it really easy.

And on the picture cause I know everyone loves pictures.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Man, that's looking pretty good Tim. Are you possibly going to the Philly meet May 27th? I'll be down there.

What kind of welder do you have? Those aluminum welds are nice like you said with a MIG. When I was in the desert, one of the metals tech guys showed me how to TIG aluminum. What a PITA that was.

werewolves182

Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
Thanks man. May 27 meet, I will be there if all it done, tuned, and running with no problems.

Oh and ive got a Lincoln Electric PRO-MIG 135 with 75%CO2, 25% Argon Gas.

I have never used a TIG welder before, I imagine its hard getting used to with the foot controlled heat and having both hands in use while welding. Definatly something id like to learn someday though.

werewolves182

Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
HUGE Update! And lots of pictures. My manifold finally came in on Thursday after getting lost in the mail by FedEx. What a pain in the ass. Anyway Heres a picture of the manifold when I got it.

p612106_1.jpg

So today I decided to start the project. My workstation...
p612106_2.jpg

Manifold and turbo test fitting.
p612106_3.jpg

I had to grind all 6 of the bottom exhaust studs to get the manifold to slip on. I also had to jack up the motor a little and take off the BIC Motor mount so the wastegate tube would not hit it when installing it.

Turbo test fit.
p612106_4.jpg

p612106_5.jpg

p612106_6.jpg

I didn't keep the compressor housing clocked down like that because I didn't have enough room for my 90* coupler and clamp to fit. :( It would have looked so much neater like that. Eh, oh well.

Little bit of size comparison...:D
p612106_7.jpg

Ended up keeping it like this,
p612106_8.jpg

p612106_9.jpg

p612106_10.jpg

And all done :D:D:D:D
Its so exciting!
p612106_11.jpg

p612106_12.jpg

Now all I have to do is make my downpipe, get bigger injectors and Tune it!

Oh and a friend stopped by and gave me this with all the lines..
*Monster Garage Voice* FREEBIE **
p612106_13.jpg