The Small Questions Thread

Janch

Jul 23, 2012
Riga
cant really find ''turbo thread'' where i could ask my question. does hx40 need to use same feed/drane lines like hx35? (-4/-10)

Oh and i cant pass 5500rpm line on my auto gearbox. Is it correct what i heard that there is some adjustment screw where you can set rmps when to change gears? Its supposed to be somewhere on throttle body. Correct?

Last edited:

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
What triggers the 2 small electric radiator fans to turn on?

I am building a 89 Supra NA into a ChumpCar, so I have removed the heating and A/C, but I would like to use these fans to help the oil cooler that I placed in front of the radiator.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
They come on when the a/c is on or when the coolant temp is too high. IIrc there is a sensor on the t stat housing for them.

For a chump car you could wire them to be on with the engine on since all you will be doing is racing.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Janch;1999883 said:
cant really find ''turbo thread'' where i could ask my question. does hx40 need to use same feed/drane lines like hx35? (-4/-10)

Oh and i cant pass 5500rpm line on my auto gearbox. Is it correct what i heard that there is some adjustment screw where you can set rmps when to change gears? Its supposed to be somewhere on throttle body. Correct?

same thing.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
hvyman;2000252 said:
They come on when the a/c is on or when the coolant temp is too high. IIrc there is a sensor on the t stat housing for them.

For a chump car you could wire them to be on with the engine on since all you will be doing is racing.

Yeah, I thought I might wire them to a toggle switch on my "dash". Do they run through a relay?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya there is 2 relays under the fuse box. 1 should be for the a/c compressor and other should be for the fans.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
That is retarded lol you have to basically remove the back half of the car just for the struts. I'll attempt to tackle that beast soon to install my Strongarm struts. Thanks for the help.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
They have to be strongly mounted. The hatch is quite heavy if you haven't noticed.

I just loosen them around that area and pry down and then get them.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Oh trust me any MK3 owner knows how heavy that damn hatch is lol I understand that they are strongly mounted but surely there is an easier way to mount it without losing strength.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
One thing they could have done is make the mounting nut on the backside a fixed nut (welded to the body). This would require the strut studs to be bolts, where they are now currently a fixed stud. I'm not sure why Toyota opted to design it like they did, but I have a feeling it's due to common designs of the struts. Most aftermarket struts seem to have a similar fixed stud design on the hinged mount.

In the grand scheme of things, redesigning a system to make replacement easier doesn't make sense for long life parts. If the strut lasts 75k miles or 5-10 years the manufacturer is ok with a less than ideal replacement procedure. :dunno: As long as the part can be replaced, they won't likely make a major design change.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
suprarx7nut;2000385 said:
Incomplete, but full of pictures:
http://yotamd.com/toyota/mk3_supra/hatch_struts.html

Basically you have to remove the entire rear interior to do it the way Toyota intended. You can pry back the trim and sort of get to the nuts on the hatch mount, but it's painful for your hands and you might deform or crack the interior plastic.

Not one of the most enjoyable jobs, but not difficult either.

Yeah, it's not hard, just tedious. Take your time and don't rush it or you will start breaking stuff.

Doat;2000386 said:
That is retarded lol you have to basically remove the back half of the car just for the struts. I'll attempt to tackle that beast soon to install my Strongarm struts. Thanks for the help.

While you are back there replace your rear speakers if they need it, and your taillight gaskets as well if then need to be replaced. This way you only have to take out those pieces once.

suprarx7nut;2000414 said:
One thing they could have done is make the mounting nut on the backside a fixed nut (welded to the body). This would require the strut studs to be bolts, where they are now currently a fixed stud. I'm not sure why Toyota opted to design it like they did, but I have a feeling it's due to common designs of the struts. Most aftermarket struts seem to have a similar fixed stud design on the hinged mount.

In the grand scheme of things, redesigning a system to make replacement easier doesn't make sense for long life parts. If the strut lasts 75k miles or 5-10 years the manufacturer is ok with a less than ideal replacement procedure. :dunno: As long as the part can be replaced, they won't likely make a major design change.

Suprarx7nut, is that your website? I see that you have posted links to it a couple times recently. If so, I like it. It is well written and very straight forward.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I do need to change my rear speakers but do they even make 3.5" speakers anymore? I also need to replace my tail light gaskets because water gets in. I'll get two birds stoned at once and change the gaskets and lifts.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Silver MK3;2000497 said:
Suprarx7nut, is that your website? I see that you have posted links to it a couple times recently. If so, I like it. It is well written and very straight forward.

Yup, that's mine. I'd like it to turn into a mk3 dictionary/encyclopedia of sorts, but it's just in its infancy now. I'm not a programmer or software writer so it's taken some time to figure out the html code. Grand ideas are one thing, but putting them into reality is another beast.

I've done some write-ups on here, but the formatting is limited and, for instance, my lighting thread has turned into an "article" which means I can't publish edits until a mod "ok's" it. It's not really a problem my updates get approved quickly, but I like being in control of my own works and having a server that's not dependent on another entity (photobucket/SM) is definitely a bonus. Hopefully it will be a nice secondary source to the forums like Dylan's (sanitylapse) and cygnus. I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

Watch for more pages and info coming soon along with some neat interface tricks! :)

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Quick question about the hatch trim, lower piece. Are there supposed to be grommets or anything on the hatch itself for the pins and bolts to go through to help keep water out? I know about the neoprene washers/gaskets which go on the pins and bolt bases, but is that all there is to the piece to keep it from leaking?

Thanks in advance.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Doat;2000510 said:
I do need to change my rear speakers but do they even make 3.5" speakers anymore? I also need to replace my tail light gaskets because water gets in. I'll get two birds stoned at once and change the gaskets and lifts.

I forgot your car is going to have more speakers than mine since yours is a 91. I was actually referencing the hatch speakers, but it is probably good to replace all the speakers you have back there. I know for the hatch ones I had to drill a few extra holes to mount the 5.25" speakers I put back there since they don't make the stock size anymore. I would definitely replace all of that stuff while you are back there. It means less times you have to tear apart the interior so less chance of stuff breaking.

suprarx7nut;2000530 said:
Yup, that's mine. I'd like it to turn into a mk3 dictionary/encyclopedia of sorts, but it's just in its infancy now. I'm not a programmer or software writer so it's taken some time to figure out the html code. Grand ideas are one thing, but putting them into reality is another beast.

I've done some write-ups on here, but the formatting is limited and, for instance, my lighting thread has turned into an "article" which means I can't publish edits until a mod "ok's" it. It's not really a problem my updates get approved quickly, but I like being in control of my own works and having a server that's not dependent on another entity (photobucket/SM) is definitely a bonus. Hopefully it will be a nice secondary source to the forums like Dylan's (sanitylapse) and cygnus. I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

Watch for more pages and info coming soon along with some neat interface tricks! :)

Nice, I really like it. I went through it a couple weeks ago and looked through all the different write ups you had on there. I'll definitely keep an eye on it and look forward to seeing more pages and information. I have it saved as a bookmark as well, I'm sure I will use it to reference something at some point.