The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Thank your elected bitch, Diane Finestine. (Or however her name is spelled.)

And the rest who think like her.

If you move to Idaho, please leave your liberal politics at the border. We don't need, or want you here.

Back on topic, I'm looking at buying a "Sweet .22" BSA scope for my Ruger 1022. I have a CF bull barrel, and Houge stock, and have been using a 3x9-40mm Bushnell scope, but the bullet drop adjustment feature on the BSA is pretty cool. (Compensates for range, and you get calibrated hats for various bullet weights too. Very nice scope overall, and less than 100.00.)

Also considering buying a AK varient. Something that shoots 7.62x39 anyway. (Likely a USA made rifle from Utah...LOL)

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Adjuster said:
Thank your elected bitch, Diane Finestine. (Or however her name is spelled.)

And the rest who think like her.

If you move to Idaho, please leave your liberal politics at the border. We don't need, or want you here.

Back on topic, I'm looking at buying a "Sweet .22" BSA scope for my Ruger 1022. I have a CF bull barrel, and Houge stock, and have been using a 3x9-40mm Bushnell scope, but the bullet drop adjustment feature on the BSA is pretty cool. (Compensates for range, and you get calibrated hats for various bullet weights too. Very nice scope overall, and less than 100.00.)

Also considering buying a AK varient. Something that shoots 7.62x39 anyway. (Likely a USA made rifle from Utah...LOL)

SKS's are cheap right now.... and they are only going to go up in price!

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Well I turn 21 on 7/3 and heres what I am picking up a week afterward... Taurus 24/7 Pro .40S&W. I had been looking at the Berreta PX4, but after reading great reviews about the 24/7 and finding a new one at a gun show for 100.00 less than MSRP with a case,2 15 round mags, cleaning brush(for what its worth) all with a MD approved trigger lock which means I don't have to buy one,I went ahead and bought the Taurus. Did I mention it was about 200.00 less than the Berreta? Plus the rubber overlay on the grip feels alot better in my hand compared to my Dad's S&W M&P40 and my brothers Glock 22. Anyone else have one?

Attachments

• 247-40SSP-10.jpg
    247-40SSP-10.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 13

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
So I am thinking of selling my S&W model 4013 for a more compact Springfield XD. It fits good in the hand, holds more rounds. The one I am looking at is new from the dealer, comes with 2, 12 round clips, and a holster for $540. Is this a good deal on a good gun? Are there any problems with this particular model that any of you know about. I am very happy with my S&W, but want something a little bit smaller, easier to conceal.
Thanks,
Dunckel

EDIT: Just checked the website. It comes with a 10+1; and a 13+1 clip.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
isnms said:
aye mate - Let us know how you like the Taurus. I had been looking at 24/7pro until I found this site: http://www.tacapp.com/?p=8
I read that too. The way I read it is the 24/7 is the one to stay away from (also heard the Milleniums are bad too) but the 24/7 PRO is a great gun. At least I'm hoping so.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Interesting article on the 24/7 .45 and some .40's. (Appears there are NO problems with the 9mm versions.)

The SA/DA Pro version of either appears to work great in 9mm. Good reviews, and they are not kidding about the trigger pull. It is longer than some, but the best I've felt for a gun of this cost range, or even 3x higher out of the box. It feels like a trigger action that has been tuned by a good gun smith. (And from what I hear, only improves with time.)

So, I'd say if you want the .40 or .45, don't buy the 24/7 at this time based on the limited research I've done on those calibers, and the problems they are having with FTF.

I shoot 9mm, so I was never even looking at the larger calibers anyway. (For 9mm, this gun is the best deal out there IMHO.)

Also interesting is the .45 version appears to shoot FMJ ball ammo just fine. It's the hollow point ammo that FTF and jams. Also really heavy stuff jams.

Tarus needs to pull this caliber 24/7 from the market untill they resolve this issue. Or they will screw up years of reputation in a hurry. (Here is my thought too. If your a .45 shooter, why did they not just buy the Taurus 1911? It is the best .45 for the money out there.. )

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Well I picked up my Taurus and shot roughly 200 rounds through it in the first hour it was in my hands. No jams or problems at all. Except a few times where my thumb would press the mag release during the recoil, but after adjusting my grip that didn't happen any more. I shot the Taurus alot more accurate and more consistent than my dads S&W M&P40 and my brothers Glock, I really feel that I bought the right gun for me. The trigger pull was a little surprising at first with how long it is but after 30 rounds or so it was cake.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
I'm looking to buy my first gun, either a 22 rifle or a pump action shotgun...is there anything to look out for on the rifle? good brand to look for/bad brands to stay away from? I was gonna get the shotgun to hunt/home defense/shoot around on a range, but I wanted to get a 22 rifle to show longer distance to mess around and have fun with.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
Ruger 10/22, that was my first gun and its really fun. sounds like a cap gun, no bullshit involved with cleaning it. ammos cheap.. straight up walmart special for $10 bucks gets you a 1,000 rounds. can't go wrong.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
Mk3runner said:
Ruger 10/22, that was my first gun and its really fun. sounds like a cap gun, no bullshit involved with cleaning it. ammos cheap.. straight up walmart special for $10 bucks gets you a 1,000 rounds. can't go wrong.

added: the standard is 10 round clips.. but I have 30 round banana clips, more fun. only $20 bucks a clip at the store I go to in Nevada.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
OMG! A 30 round clip? You must be a freaking terrorist, running around with that kind of firepower! And I suppose you load it up with hollow points, which are only useful for killing. You should be shot with your own gun just to protect the rest of us!

Ahem... SARCASM! :p

:D

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
how'd you know I use hollows?!?!

SHIT! its the government, THEY KNOW!

shit by the time you get in the groove you only have a few rounds left. with a 30 rounded you can either get in the groove or just pop rounds off like a mad man...

good shit!

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
Mk3runner said:
added: the standard is 10 round clips.. but I have 30 round banana clips, more fun. only $20 bucks a clip at the store I go to in Nevada.

Wikipedia is your friend:

A magazine is an ammunition storage and feeding device within, or attached to, a firearm. Magazines may be integral to the firearm (fixed) or removable (detachable).

The cartridges in the magazine are loaded into the firearm either automatically or manually depending on the type of gun, but almost always by a spring. Some magazines can in turn be loaded by a clip; magazine and clip are not synonymous terms.

A clip is a device that is used to store multiple rounds of ammunition together as a unit, ready for insertion into the magazine of a repeating firearm. This speeds up the process of loading the firearm as several rounds can be loaded at once, rather than one round being loaded at a time. Several different types of clips exist, most of which are made of inexpensive metal stampings that are designed to be disposable, though they are often re-used.

The term clip is commonly erroneously used to describe a firearm magazine, generally a specific type of magazine known as a detachable box magazine, or even a firearm belt. These uses of the term are incorrect; a clip is used to load a magazine, while a magazine or a belt is used to load a firearm.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
LOL @ Mrs. Manners.. Clip v/s Magazine...

Sure, you can use clips to speed load your magazine.. Like on the M1.

And your right, most people call magazines clips, and cartridges a bullet. (When really, a bullet is part of a cartridge....)

Ok, back on topic.
There are many .22 rim fire rifles.
The best one for the money, and that is best supported by the aftermarket is the Ruger 1022.
You can buy match grade barrels, actions and custom stocks. Trigger actions and other stuff is generally stocked by most gun shops too. (Very popular rifle.)

I have one personally, but my first .22 Rimfire rifle was a Marlin tube magazine autoloader type. Very good rifle, I actually shot that rifle to death. It wore out. (I have no idea how many rounds were shot, but a few thousand in a weekend was not uncommon when I was kid.)

Ok, my current 1022 has a Butler Creek Carbon Fiber barrel, Houge overmolded black rubber stock and a nice 3-9 power scope. (Looking at buying the BSA "Sweet 22" scope, as it's calibrated for various weight .22 bullet drop charateristics, so it's a very accurate scope when set up right for distance shooting the .22 LR Rimfire round.) But, it's about 100.00 mounted up... And my current scope does not suck that bad... LOL

Tactical Solutions here in Boise makes a nice 1022 based rifle. Alloy barrel, custom stocks and tack driving accuracy... but they want 500+ for the guns... I have about 400 into mine... So I suppose that's not too much for a very fine target/plinking rifle.

My current gun lust is for a P90... But then again, everyone needs a 50 round magazine, bull-pup based submachine gun right? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.