The Build of p5150 - 2JZGE-T, GT4294, Paint, and more stuff

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Yeah - a bit of a wrench in my machine. I was tuning it with the AEM and starting to get my AFRs under control when my intake camshaft seized on the head. I got looking around a bit at the oil system and found out that I had a problem with the sandwich plate choking off the oil a bit - but not totally.

I was pretty pissed at myself because it was something that I should have noticed beforehand. The good news is that the rest of the motor is fine. The head is relatively unscathed as well - only the #1 intake cam cap is abraded.

I have the head off at the machine shop getting a quick re-size and line hone. They should only have to take off a few thousandths so the geometry will be fine. I will have to re-adjust the pucks but I planned on doing that soon anyway because it is a new head.

I have put a lot of port work into this head. Normally I would just say "fuck it" and put on another used head but this seem like a viable alternative to just fix the journal surface

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
That is the nice thing about the 2JZGE, you can get a new head for cheep or even a new engine for cheep. Did you find out what exactly on the sandwhich plate was clogged?

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Yeah - I assumed that the inlet/outlet of the sandwich plate was big enough but once I had the fittings on it it actually cut down the surface area/diameter of the lines quite a bit. On top of that the holes in the sandwich plate werent quite big enough. I should have done the math and calculated oil flow. It was fine until I got it up to about 3k. It really pisses me off because it was a no-brainer mistake that I should have caught in the first place.

Im just glad that I didnt totally fuck it up.

Yeah - I considered just getting a new head and throwing it on but the damage is minimal. I was just pissed that I had to pull the head off to get it line honed. I dont want to do a BS band-aid repair job. I had it off in two hours. At least I dont have to pull all the valves out.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
I think the Mocal would be a good plate to get but I havent seen one in person. Just look at the plate you get to ensure that it flows enugh oil once the fittings are installed.

I dont know abut the intake runner adaptor. I have never seen a mass-produced one. It was easier for me to just make an intake

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Here are some pics of my garage paintjob. I havent wet sanded and buffed it yet so no close ups until then!

Attachments

• DSCN1121 compressed.JPG
    DSCN1121 compressed.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 274

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
No - the head is off right now so that I could get the cam journal line honed. I will have it back on and running by next weekend.

I had to push it back into the garage. Sucky.

jsnowman76

In need of another supra
Oct 17, 2006
Elk grove, CA
wow man its coming right along

nice work!

do you have anymore pictures of your custom intake and your prehistoric size snail????:evil2:

damn I remeber seeing it in person and was like :love:

did I ever tell you about the 50 dollar parking ticket I got from parking at your house? that sucked.

oh and thanks again for that 7m oil hose you gave me.... guess which hose needed to be replaced after I did the valve cover gaskets?....

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
looks like its comming along well, hope to see pics of the finished project and dyno numbers soon. g/l

Intothenight19

Crissaegrim
Feb 23, 2006
Pa
Im digging the swap man, not so sure about your muffler coming out so far from the bumper but then again may be a bad angle. And chrome wheels? ehh.. With that setup some m/t streets and draglites may be more suitable.. But to each his own, nice work..

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
lookin nice, wish i could say i was that far along. i like the key chain though, have no clue where that came from. :biglaugh:

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
I kept losing the key in the dark. Ha.

Sounds like im not getting too much love on the exhaust though - I must say that I hate the way the stock exhaust looks on the Sup. You know the look of the straight pipe that barely sticks out.

I saw a really nice 300z in Boise a few years ago. the exhaust was done similarly, with the polished SS muffler slanted up a bit so you could see it.

Sorry if you guys dont like it too much but you better get used to looking at it cuz you wont be able to pass :biglaugh:

Ha ha - all in fun.