The Build of p5150 - 2JZGE-T, GT4294, Paint, and more stuff

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Ive spent much time over the last few days applying the K38 primer and block sanding. Finally the hood is flat and most of the body is straight. There are a couple of small nicks/dings but I just filled them. Tomorrow ill give them a quick sanding and be done with it.

Next I will be priming the front and rear bumper pieces. Im not too sure how it will go when its time to sand those out. Hopefully they arent too difficult to get smooth.

One thing to remember about painting a car if you havent done it before:

It takes 100000000 times longer than you think it will. And costs a lot of money even if you are doing it yourself.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
IJ. said:
Any time I even consider thinking about doing body work on my Mk3 I end up sitting in a dark room whimpering and rocking at the mere thought of it ;)

Sometimes I just suck my thumb, then I feel better.

odomd

computer illiterate
Jan 11, 2006
nj
Hey man it is coming along great. What kind of paint are you using? There is aplace called autobodydepot.net.That is where I bought the house of kolor paint I used and it was even alittle cheaper than the local paint store in trenton.Can't wait to see it done.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Im using PPG products.
DP40LF
K38
BC/CC
I just got the front/rear bumpers primed and back on. I screwed up and didnt mix in enough catalyst on the primer, but for some reason I realized what I was doing after the first light coat and re-mixed it and shot again. It set up OK so I think im good. If it goes to hell Ill just get a body kit.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Wet sanding is a bitch. I have been wet sanding this primer for many hours now - the hood and cab are flat and I have about 50% of the body done. Its getting way too cold out there. I wrapped it up at 1:30 AM

Im pretty sure that my neighbors think im crazy.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i wish i had a friend to teach me body work and paint.my car need's paint bad and makes me sad.good luck

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
More wet sanding done today. The nose piece was a complete PITA. You pretty much have to lay down in front of it while you sand. Its a good thing I was on the uphill side.

I guess Im doing it right because it is taking a long time to complete.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
I got the paint done - it still needs to be buffed and put all back together but Im taking my time to make sure its done right (weatherstripping fastners, etc) so my stuff doesnt fall off while driving down the street.....

Heres a pic

Last edited:

2jzmk3

looking good. hope the clutch works out for you..

ok 3 posts today.. back to SF i go...

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Thanks to somebody's previous advice I was able to source a set of wire clips for my MKIV GTE coil packs from a late 90's 4-runner/truck/camry or something.

The carbonetic triple plate has been installed. That went pretty fast. It was nice to get the slave cylinder, associated hardware, and push/pull converter included with the clutch. Keep in mind that this was less expensive than a carbon TWIN plate RPS.

I still need to mount the tires/wheels.

Brake calipers will come apart this weekend for sandblasting and POR15 black velvet paint with Glisten PC clearcoat. I think that will look pretty sick through the chrome wheels.

The wiring is pretty much done. Only thing left to do is wire up the UEGO.

Intercooler is on its way. I wanted to use an intercooler with HKS style endtanks but I couldnt get one rated for 1000 hp that would fit with those tanks.... Not that I plan on getting 1k but 800 is attainable - I always like to have a safety margin.

Oil cooler is going to be mounted on the left fog light hole and the air ram intake will be at the right fog light. IC should pretty much fill up the whole front end.

Oil lines (except drain line) for the GT42 are in place. I utilized the copper line on the back of rear timing cover to avoid having to run a line on the front of the engine. The turbo oil supply line runs from where the low oil pressure sensor was and I am using a MKIII oil pressure sensor for my stock gauge that will thread into the Lexus union bolt on the oil filter mount.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Glad you got that figured out. Sorry I wasn't much help on the phone, I just started a new job and it was busy as hell when ya called :)

p5150 said:
Thanks to somebody's previous advice I was able to source a set of wire clips for my MKIV GTE coil packs from a late 90's 4-runner/truck/camry or something.