SySt's Build up

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Frame/Suspension Parts will be semi-flat black. The body panels themselves will be a gloss black. Eventually I hope to make it two-tone again but for now I need paint that is easy to repair.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I just purchased a set of heads for my shortblock today. They are "862" casting LM7 heads. Basically same as LS1 heads but with a 61cc chamber vs a 66.6cc chamber. Probably close to 11.0:1 static compression ratio. I was going to go with LS6 heads but could not find them for the price I wanted. I got these complete heads for $150.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
wow! this looks like an interesting swap! i think i will need to follow this thread closely.

you have an eta on completion?

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
No ETA yet. I still need to paint the entire interior, make a dash and door panels, get money for the guages, transmission and headers. I also need to install my fuel pump and get the engine/tranny mounted. So basically, I have a ways to go yet.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Here are some pics of my head(s). Only pictured one but they are both the same anyhow. I do plan an disassembling the heads and having them hot tanked as well as checking the valve seats.

Also, after talking to Jim at TPiS there may be a change of plans... These heads are going to yeild a compression ratio of about 11.2:1. That is close to too much for pump gas. He recommends a larger cam to help lower the dynamic ratio. So maybe 500HP+ is what I am really looking at... :)

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
SySt said:
Yes, indeed it is Jim Hall. You know him? I bought my Supra from his Dad, who bought it from one of Jim's friends. Small world isn't it?

Sure do, Jim is a MKIII guy from way back in the SOGI days. He was one of the first supra guys I met after getting my 87T in oh, '98 I think it was. He had a 2-tone brown car that he autocrossed, it was later painted porsche yellow I believe and sold shortly after that. His brother had a MKII, but I don't think I ever met him, or their dad. I knew Jim had been working at TPIs years ago and last I knew he was driving a camaro.

EDIT: Just realized yours is a 2-tone brown 87, that has got to be Jim's old car, he must have never gotten it painted.

Glen

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Yes, Jim has a 554hp 409CID Camaro. He also has his dad's old AMX and is putting my old 7M in a Cressida. His brother does have a MKII and it's sweet. He cut off everything from the firewall forward aside from rame rails and fabricated his own frame/suspension components and has a 7MGTE in there. If you don't mind me asking, what is your name?

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
My car may be Jim's old car. Though Jim did have a Yellow MKIII which he sold to one of his friends... I never knew he had a two-tone, but maybe he did own my car at one point.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Well I was assembling my front brakes and realized a rough spot in one of the brand new wheel bearings. Now I have to pull the steering knuckle, bring it into work and go through the pain of removing the defective bearing and putting a new one in. Luckily I have a warranty on the bearing.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
SySt said:
No, you're right. It would be better to have two camshafts and a long crankshaft with half the displacement ;). Or in my case, four cams... that need to be re-timed after pulling the heads...

Anyhow, here is my most recent work. I got a new engine in it, the LSE. LS-Emy. Also note there is no longer ANYTHING in the engine bay.
Is that you?