Speed's Completely Unspeedy 1JZ. 56k is so 1990's

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
Well, Pete (Weezl) came up to help me with the body work. What would I do without him! ... i'd be redoing shit!

before he came up, I....

Removed teh seats to give the carpets a basic clean and get ready for the new seats
DSC_0346.jpg

and polished the fart can since it was gross and i wanted to make something shiny.
DSC_0350.jpg

After a long night of drinking, and a much longer morning of hangover, we got to work.
DSC_0354.jpg

reorganized the garage for body disassembly and reassembly...
DSC_0358.jpg

I spent most of the day sanding the car- Pete did most of the metal work. I did one side, which turned out ok, but Pete's got crazy attention to detail, look at his little patch pieces! Mine worked, but weren't quite so pretty.
DSC_0360.jpg

He's also better at MIG than I am.
DSC_0368.jpg

Ground down, with filler
DSC_0374.jpg

A little more work done on the hood...tomorrow we focus most of our attention on it.
DSC_0375.jpg

We also beat out a dent in the fender, smoothed out any high and low spots int he doors and quarter panels, roof, bla bla bla. Body work is fun! Not.

And back into her home for the night....
DSC_0376.jpg

Again, MONUMENTAL thanks to Pete, he's a great worker and a fantastic friend. More progress tomorrow.

SpeedNinja

nunchaku equipped
Jun 29, 2008
South Florida
www.myspace.com
Timmy has a friend! YAY!!!

I'm actually reading this in pain as I know the Mustang is in worse shape than your Supra is, and I am the most masterful body work technician at my disposal... God help me.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
honestabe;1091148 said:
Ah, so that is where Pete was heading the other day. Do you think you will be able to make PacNW Supra Nationals bro? I sure hope so. Looks like you will have a cleaner MKIII then me if you do show up.

Adam

I'll be there, as for the supra... I sure hope so! I doubt it'll be finished to the point where I was hoping (due to my powdercoater being a slow mofo), but we'll see.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
HommerSimpson;1091183 said:
WOW...... JUST WOW ... love your build and your work... btw your fuckin funny... :}

I managed to get a 8 inch touch screen in that area and a/c controls under...

good work...i dig it man very kewl....

Original plans were to put a 7" touchscreen in the dash..but it became unusable in daylight conditions, and I didn't want to have to bother with a carpc. One of these days I'll get around to properly doing the dash like I want..but for now it's pretty low on my list.

Some updates... more body work. The first two days I was like "meh this is boring but not too bad" Today i'm like "fuck this shit. shit can suck my balls." Man sanding and body filler work blows. Oh well, It should be ready for paint by the end of the week. HOPEFULLY it can get done in time for the meet!

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
bluemkiii;1091612 said:
Supra gonna look sick when your done. what color were you planning on painting it?

Thanks. You'll have to wait till its painted to see ;) (I want to make sure they don't F it up before I start toting what color).... I have control issues. I am very scared about letting somebody else work on my car.

prototype_HI;1095455 said:
great inspiring read... i'll definitely be referring back to this when i get my swap started.

Thanks, glad you got some info from it. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Back to the build: Goes to the paint shop tomorrow afternoon.

riverj88

Jul 29, 2008
New Jersey
speed;680416 said:
Okay so I'm going to at least start this off in a very graphical manner.
intro.jpg

Brief History: Rebuilt 7M head, 20mi later rodknock, but i was sure i had flushed the motor. turns out a nut had come off the #6 cyl rod and that was that. Well sick and tired of BHG's (not really, had MHG forever), but def sick of a leaky seal, that damn across the top intake pipe, and the 7M's general bastardness. I broke down the costs between doing a complete 7M rebuild, or swapping a 1J. With a difference of only a few hundred dollars, I decided to go with the 1JZ. Here is the story....

I had to work my ass off and not buy shit so i could afford it.

Obviously.

Now onto something interesting
:boobies: you guys are such pervs

I didn't want to start this thread until I got the motor and checked it out, as I wanted to make sure I didn't get fucked. After talking wtih the osaka guys (well, trying to understand wtf they were saying), and doing a bunch of research, I decided to take a slight risk and go with them. I was very specific that it was to be a rear sump car, with an uncut harness. They said you bet. A week later UPS gave me a call wanting to schedule delivery. More on this later.

As I was dissassembling the 7M, i looked at my HPF 6puk clutch disk. Shit, the pads were almost all gone. Another bunch of monies I had to spend. Along with some other items that you'll see later, the delivery schedule was frickin brilliant, it was like I was a jew- i had a whole week of presents.

monday.jpg

(sorry i forgot to take a pic before i got to installing it)

tuesday.jpg

got a great deal from CKAnderson, thanks!

wednesday.jpg

Drewgo's friend Smiley sold me the Ypipe, great deal, perfect condition

thursday.jpg

Ordered from Dan @ Ulitmate collision (found through NASIOC). Fast shipping, but he forgot my freakin gauge cup. Bastard. But he did refund the cost within 20min of my email.

friday.jpg

Now the story on the delivery. Yesterday I got the call to setup a delivery time. We setup between 1-5pm, and I took off work accordingly. Well, 5:30 rolls around and nothing, so I give them a call. "Yea, sorry today's been crazy. Its on a truck, ready to go, we're just waiting for a driver. I'll call you back as soon as its leaving, you'll definitely get it tonight." UGH took 3 hours off work for nothing. So I go out to buy some relay's for wiring up the gauges when I get a call. "Hey, the driver left 10 minutes ago. ONe thing, i see that your shipping order has a lift gate for delivery. The truck doesn't. Do you have any way of getting it off?" "Uh how high is the back of the semi?" "4-5 feet" "Shit. Okay yea I'll figure something out." LUCKILY my engine hoist, at its highest setting worked, barely. 8pm the motor arrives, its the only thing in the truck! Thats one thing I like about UPS... if they've got something to deliver, it gets delivered!.

Now I was really anxious- I immediately checked the sump- rear. Awesome. Checked the wiring harness, uncut. Awesome. Checked condition of pipes, electronics, etc- just dandy. Awesome. Awesome+Awesome+Awesome = Giddy Timmy. I hopped around for a few minutes on my broken ankle and then go to work of bringing it inside. Upon some further inspection, I found some things:

omgwtf.jpg

how dare they. I'm disputing charges, its fucking missing a bolt.

ohnoes.jpg

oil's going to come squirting out of there! Disputing charges on this too.

wirewhere.jpg

But seriously, where do these wires go? *shrug* For being the only cut wires, not bad!

So far I've bought almost brand freakin new motor mounts froom KWNate, clutch disk from CKAnderson, PS Resevoir from someone else who I can't remember, and the exhaust from Drewgo's friend. All very pleasant transactions, thanks guys. All I have left to get is some more piping for intake, Bellhousing and flywheel which I'll be picking up from RRev next weekend. Even though their customer service left quite a bit to be desired, as long as you're very clear with what you want, Osaka delivers. I couldn't be more pleased with this engine.

drinkedline.jpg

With that, chapter one comes to a close. Chapter two will include Prosports in the cluster, IC mounting, and probably y-pipe installation, as well as a crapload of wiring.

I'm looking for a 1jz to do a swap into a N/A 87 supra can you give me some advise on what I'll need?

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
riverj88;1096163 said:
I'm looking for a 1jz to do a swap into a N/A 87 supra can you give me some advise on what I'll need?

Depends what you buy. If you buy a full front clip, then doing the swap is very easy, all you'd really need are the BIC motor mounts. However, changing the harness to match the plugs behind the dash (for everything except the ECU) is harder on a 87 than on an 89+, but there are tons of resources for you to use. Its a pretty straightforward swap, it just really depends on what comes with your motor, and if you plan on any mods during the swap or not.

PM me when you start your swap and I'll give you any advice i can.