so, what is it about a mkiii supra?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
best bang for the buck for a luxury GT car that reponds well to mods and isn't a shitbox...

I love ALL generations of Supra, and would happily own them all if I could...

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Boost.. on a bad day. :) Always makes me proud of the work ive put into it. [even though it isn't much] I just love the payoff from the downtimes or upgrades. :D

Eventually ill own both, a MKIII and MKIV! :D

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
im in it because i love the body styling. i chose this car over an 89 Trans Am GTA 5.7 TPI because this car already Has a turbo on it. the GTA, i had plans for a crate 350 built for boost with a 144ci blower... then shit can the blower and manifold, switch to a dual plan and 850cfm boost-carb with a hat and twin turbos... but again, my first mk3 was the same price as the GTA and already had the turbo. plus, it had a 5sp where the 5.7 GTA's were auto only. plus, i saw a MK3 put down almost 300rwhp with just a Defcon downpipe in 2001.

only AFTER i bought my 91 did i realize the Targa-ness, awesome seat design, driver-oriented dash layout, 8 speaker stereo, digital climate control, auto-adjusting suspension, V8 power (from that era) from a 3.0 liter. Thats when i officially became hooked.

however, the more i do to this car, the more i realize a better fiscal decision would have been an MKIV. it wasnt an option back then but it is now. i think im going to get an MKIV next since it already COMES with a bullet-resistant transmission, fool-proof motor, big brakes, a little less weight, factory projectors, aluminum hood, bullet-resistant rear end, ability to fit 11" wide wheels out back and 10" wide wheels up front w/ virtually no body modifications and timeless styling lines.

in reality, the lines of the MKIV are 40 years old but no one can place it as being "dated" or "old school". however, you look at a sports car form the 80's and you IMMEDIATELY can tell, with 99% assuredness, that it was produced IN the 80's. compare the Toyota GT and the mkiv, its uncanny how similar they are yet no one says that car looks old. people cant even Beleive that its a Toyota when you tell them thats what the MKIV is. they also cant beleive that its a 10-15 year old car either... i hear about it so often from my friends, its silly.

i just love that the supra is above all else from its time period and even some newer cars. it takes quite a bit of dedication from a company to put that much effort into a car that doesnt die out after 5 years.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I ignored this thread as my tolerence for bullshit is a bit low at the moment but I really have to ask 213 mph in what?

GPS verified and at what RPM?

What tire size and diff gears?

for that matter what brand tires and pressures?

hellraiser456

Dec 29, 2006
canada
its the look....i love older cars...late 80's and low-mid 90's was an awesome time for cars..despite the dissipating market for sports cars at the time.

That and i love gt cruisers...people are always "yea the supra is a boat..its heavy blah blah blah" and i tell them yes..but i get to my destination quickly, very comfortably..and the girls here just love the targa on a nice summer day. IT has everything you need and want...a power adjustable seat that is big and comfy, but still holds you in ok when you lay into it. i love the dash and all the gauges. I love how it doesn't feel like a tight little sports car(seating room wise). Its quiet to drive, you don't have to yell at the person beside you when the targa is off...even at highway speeds. Auto climate control...

Its all there.

Its all the little things Toyota factored in to make it what the car is.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
There's not much about the MKIII i don't like. Not even the weight bothers me that much, even tho i get a LOT of shit from my friends about it. They once said a MKIII was the japanese equivilant of a mustang.:nono: I just can't wait till i can lower it, get some wheels, and paint it so it can look the way it was supposed to look.

st2b

Banned
Sep 15, 2006
Versailles (Lex) Ky
www.myspace.com
What attracted me..

Topless ride in a MkIV, then was introduced to a Celica Supra as a project car.
Turboed the 5m, blew it, and parted it out.
Bought a new MkIII.

What I love;

1. The fact that there is nothing to ever wonder about your car.
2. Everything is simple and sturdy, yet there is always something new to learn about it.
3. The amount of engine workspace
4. Nothing really is hidden
5. It will last as long as you want it to
6. L6>L4
7. The maddening sound of a single turbo 7m, 1j, and 2j Supra opening the external wastegate
8. The easy accessibility to have the car remain sideways during normal driving speeds
9. I can take corners, and flip a switch and now I don't feel bumps in the city (TEMS(working))
10. It's not as much wiring, as it is plug and play
11. How bad your heart speeds up when hearing it spool, because you KNOW exactly what is going to happen
12. Everything is quality. Nothing is just crap, unless you take care of it like crap.
13. You are a tank, compared to the new compact cars the manufacture today
14. The stock seats = sex
15. Its gotten me addicted to LSDifferential
16. You can spot fellow MkIII owners miles before they are in sight
17. The community is astonishing
18. The fact that I care more about my MkIII than anything else
19. The fact that 2,000$ bought me my DREAM CAR

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
st2b said:
7. The maddening sound of a single turbo 7m, 1j, and 2j Supra opening the external wastegate External WG's get old, trust me ;)
15. Its gotten me addicted to LSDifferential youve never had one before?
16. You can spot fellow MkIII owners miles before they are in sight So, you can see them before you See them? lol

Element256

Bickaty Bam !!
Jul 17, 2007
SoCal
thechori said:
if given the choice, i would get the MKIV, mostly because i wouldn't have to spend much to get ~400whp out of it.. and it's way more classy, you can pull 1000x the penises in a MKIV then a MKIII :[

Fixed

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
IJ. said:
I ignored this thread as my tolerence for bullshit is a bit low at the moment but I really have to ask 213 mph in what?

GPS verified and at what RPM?

What tire size and diff gears?

for that matter what brand tires and pressures?

I think he got confused with Kmh.

Funny story, my girlfriends son went for a ride in his cousins car (A mk4) and was bragin to me about doing 200mph and even had a photo of the speedo to prove it. I was impressed but sceptical then he showed me the pic of the engine and I started to chuckle. It was N/A and a Jap import so he had infact only done 120ish mph

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
when i was younger one of my friends big brothers had a mk3 it was a black on black turbo and i just thought it was freakin awsome and i knew i had to have one.Plus the wide front and rear gives the car awsome curves

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
OneJoeZee said:
Thank you. Whoever thinks the MKIV is a chick magnet is delusional. Maybe some but not even close to the amount of teenage boys it attracts.

clean MKIII pics up lots of chicks too...

take em for a ride and show them some boost and sideways action and you have em :evil2:

Entropy

No Supra... For now ;)
Apr 10, 2007
Lacey, WA
Its everything about the car that you all have mentioned.... and it just feels right. I wouldn't trade mine for anything!