Slightly Rough Idle

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
Taco;1390556 said:
well if it keeps getting worse and worse its gotta be the timing but that makes sense too.

It doesn't get worse and worse. It just never got better with the plugs and wires.

supra_guy

Aug 18, 2009
Illinois
Alec;1390341 said:
It's not that loud in person. Pat, does the sound get faster with RPM? That sounds more like valves to me, might want to get them adjusted. No biggie, though. My ticking sounds more like injectors, it gets faster and slightly quieter with RPM.

yea its gets faster and faster and then just stops after 3k rpms

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
UPDATE: Idle is still the same. I tried starting the car in diagnostic mode which doesn't advance the timing and the idle still wan't smooth. Now that I know it's not the timing, what else could it be? I took a stethoscope to find out where the ticking came from and I can confirm it's the injectors with a mix of normal valvetrain noise. Right now, I have no clue as to what it could be. I still think it might be the timing but I really have no clue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
For reference here is what a 7mgte sounds like with clearances per tsrm well in spec, spent a full day doing this shit:

http://s373.photobucket.com/albums/oo175/Bri7manx/supra/?action=view&current=P8180177.flv

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Edit,
The tick that you could hear may be from low oil pressure which was an issue then as you can see at the end, normal engine temp with 0psi, confirmed with a napa oil pressure tester.

Last edited: