Shytheed Gets Serious

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Shytheed Dumas;1126282 said:
Quick clutch set question: How does the bearing come off the old pressure plate so that I can install the new bearing on the new plate?!? It looks like a pry out, but damn it's on good! Am I doing it wrong, or do I just need put a little more something into it?

Kurt, I'm sure they make a pair of pliers made to seperate the ring or clamp whatever you want to call it, but I always use two flat head screwdrivers. I hold one end still with one and push the other end out with the other. That's just pretty basic redneck technology, but that's all I have. I put it back together the same way. You may want to check at Advance or Autozone and see if they have a set of the pliers made for that job. Good luck.

Dinner is on you? I may not eat again until you are in town...........:biglaugh:

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
^ Thanks! I just wish it was moving along faster. :)

So after taking a couple of weeks to reconsider why I ever thought this would be fun or a good idea, I got to it again tonight with Dave's help again. We got a few things things done. I'm especially proud of installing the pressure plate and clutch in the tranny after bolting them twice to the flywheel twice and realizing that wasn't the way to get it done after a trip to the online TSRM. :D

Question of the Day: SPEARCO IC INSTALLATION... Aren't these supposed to be direct fit? It came with brackets and elbows, supposedly ready to go, but so far it's a no go. The top of the IC hits the hood latch support (which the top support looks like it should bolt to), which keeps the bottom support 1 1/2 inches from the threaded hole it is obviously supposed to bolt to. What are we missing? Does the hood latch support need to be notched? Any good how-to links that might help?

Question #2: MARLIN CRAWLER BUSHINGS... Keep or pitch the black seal in the transmission when installing the new bushing?

Last edited:

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Which black seal are you talking about on the tranny?

The MC shifter bushing is supposed to replace the old black shift bushing. You'd have one tough time getting the new one in it with out removing the old one, if that is what your talking about.

And hey Kurt, how'd you fair down there with all those gusts? Hope all is well and hopefully your posting this in your own powered home.

LOL and my best guess for the IC... Flip it over maybe? hah idk.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
trydrew;1130847 said:
Which black seal are you talking about on the tranny?

The MC shifter bushing is supposed to replace the old black shift bushing. You'd have one tough time getting the new one in it with out removing the old one, if that is what your talking about.

The only thing in there was a black rubber "seal", less than 1/8" thick, and it wouldn't make putting the new bushing in too hard. Gee, maybe NO bushing would explain why shifting has been a sucky thing? :/

trydrew;1130847 said:
And hey Kurt, how'd you fair down there with all those gusts? Hope all is well and hopefully your posting this in your own powered home.

No luck on power. Last time there was an extended outage we were on in 3 1/2 days out of 4 that people were without power. Best case is a week before everybody has power, and up to two weeks in a worst case, so tonight I'm pulling everything from the fridge/freezer and into the garbage for pickup tomorrow... :cry: I hear Cinci got hit hard, too. How are you making out?

trydrew;1130847 said:
LOL and my best guess for the IC... Flip it over maybe? hah idk.

Tried it, lol. I was told by the guy I bought it from that it bolted right on to his, but I did a little searching, and the top brackets that have been used on the DM Spearco replicas look totally different. Oh well, just something else to add to the list of to-do's. :)

FYI, the Kentuckiana annual meet thread is up in the local sub-forum in case any locals haven't seen it. ;)

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
No I havn't seen the thread yet, thanks!

As far as things up here, they are getting better. I lot of people here in boone county are getting power back pretty quickly, But up in SW OH it's worse. Apparently across the tristate area there were 700,000+ without power out of ~800,000+ Duke energy customers.

My brother called last night and said it's the end of the world down there, or so it seems.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
PROGRESS!!!!

Well, I'd have a couple of pics of yesterday's work, but I just managed to accidently erase my entire pictures folder off my Blackberry. I don't care, though, because we put a BIG dent in the project yesterday. Matt came down from Columbus and we hit it hard starting about 9 am and by 8 that night we had done this:

• Wired in injector clips
  • Finished attaching accessories
  • Bolted up tranny
  • Replaced rear heater hose & PS hoses
  • Dropped engine & tranny in
  • Reworked intercooler brackets
  • Reinstalled gas tank
  • Bought remaining IC piping couplers
  • Looped turbo coolant lines
  • Miscellaneous other little things...

So I think I'm taking Friday off to start working the "Engine Removal in 49 Easy Steps" in reverse, finish the IC & AFPR install, and fire it up! Dave, I would love it if you were there to make sure the AFPR & SAFC are set right for the inaugural turning of the key. I will try to have everything done by Friday night - just let me know if you have any time next weekend to stop by and give it a go. :)

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Tomorrow's the big day!!!!!! :biggrinbo

Dave (dbsupra90) will be here about 1 or 2 tomorrow afternoon to help me look everything over one more time before I pucker up and turn the key. :D

So far everything looks good, and I'm down to just the belts, radiator, ecu and a few miscellaneous top end things to wrap it up. I'm so excited I will probably be in the garage at 5:30am again, just like today, which will give me a chance to get most of that done. I should have some pics, and maybe even a video to post up by the end of the day.

Wish me luck!!!! :x:

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
IT LIVES!!!!! :D

After a really bad fuel leak from injector #2 last week, I pulled the fuel rail, installed all new o-rings, set the fuel pressure to 32-33 base psi, turned it over, put the EFI fuse back in, and it started immediately. No hesitation, no stumbling, nothing but a perfect first start! GREAT JOB PAT AND LEGEND OF ACES!!!! :) After burping the coolant and checking for leaks that never showed up, I went ahead with the first oil change. For the most part, I just have to reinstall the ecu, various brackets and miscellaneous other crap.

So that was the good news... The bad has me stumped; there is no clutch hydraulic pressure at all - absolutely nothing. The only thing I ever pulled was the slave cylinder from the tranny, and then pullled the tranny with the motor, and reinstalled in reverse. Now when I step on the clutch pedal it goes straight to the floor and doesn't come back up, unless I pull it with my hand. My neighbor took a look through the inspection plate opening while I pushed the clutch pedal to the floor and he said it wasn't moving much at all... I guess the next step is to bleed the system, but I can't figure out why it would be needed if I never did anything to open the system. Any suggestions? If no answers come and bleeding the clutch doesn't help, I guess I'll post up a thread of its own. :(

I will figure out the clutch problem, and the rest is all downhill. Ky'ana meet 2008 is looking good! :icon_bigg

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Kurt... The only thing I can think of is that I, looking back, didn't put the slave cylinder on, I'm assuming you did... lol

You may want to pull the for out (it will just pull out) and make sure I didn't put it in backwards or something stupid like that...

We put on new slave and master when we did the swap last year, didn't we?

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
The slave is definitely on, Matt. I thought about pulling the fork, but wanted to see if anybody had any definite answers while I work through the rest of the minor issues, and I'm fairly sure it is in the right way. As for 'new' master and slave? I'm not sure how new they were, but everything worked great before this engine swap, so I'm sure it was something that happened during the swap. I hope it turns up soon and is an easy fix.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
My only thought was maybe if they weren't new it was just weird that they'd go out while you did the swap... I'm sure it COULD happen.

Maybe I didn't get the fork on the right spot, I put it in backwards.... like I said it just pulls out, so it should be a huge deal. I KNOW the clutch/pp is on right, so I wouldn't worry about that. If it was on wrong, it would be making one hell of a racket.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Well that's good news. If the clutch is on right, then the problem absolutely has to be between the pedal and the fork, and no need to worry about pulling the tranny again. I'll double check the fork tomorrow, and bleed the slave if I don't see anything there. Thanks Matt.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Congrats on the start up Kurt. Good luck with the clutch pedal. It shouldn't be too hard to fix.