Shytheed Gets Serious

Yblegal91t

it finally runs!
Apr 22, 2006
C1 outer
suprahero;1107784 said:
Way to go Kurt........The black and red on your 3000 pipe is a great touch as well. I know that has to make about six or seven rwhp difference and it looks good to boot.

I've really been wanting a build thread to keep up with since certain members on here never finish their builds, but I wouldn't ever call out any names...........they know who they are............:evil2:

Hey hey Jay, I know you are talking about me being one of them. I'm just a slow-learner with no time. I can use that as an excuse right? lol. And by the way, the cars value is only going to rise. I've been at 124k for 4 years. Thats about the only positive thing I can say. I hate you. lol

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Yours is just one of about four builds. Some people around here need to reprioritize their life............:evil2:

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
rumptis;1108009 said:
What did you paint your intake with?

I'm about ready to clean mine and was thinking about painting it as well.

Lookin good Kurt!

Thanks Jason. I just stripped everything off and cleaned it up with carb cleaner and a bunch of rags. I used a self-etching primer and some 500* engine paint that looked to be close to natural aluminum. It was so easy that I wanted to paint everything, but I was able to regain a little self control. :icon_razz

suprahero;1108014 said:
Pictures of turbo set up or I will be forced to shut this thread down...............OH wait, I'm a nobody. Nevermind..................Can we please have some pictures of said turbo?

Pics coming tonight! Everything just came in, I'm still digging through the box, and I'm at work right now, so I have no way to post them up. So all I'm going to say for now is ixnay on the olsethay! Nice try, Fuzz. :D

trydrew;1107984 said:
Haha, what do you suspect you'll be doing to her this friday?

Well now that all depends on how far I get. ;) Mainly I plan on finishing up reassembly of the engine/accessories and getting it ready to drop back in. If things went way too well, then I would go ahead with the IC and considering bolting up the tranny and at least getting everything back into the engine bay so that I could work on reconnecting everything on another day. On my own I work steady but slow - with an extra set of hands I seem to move A LOT faster. Fast enough that I can even add some Mountain Dew to my pizza offer! :naughty:

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
How durable do you think the paint will be?...that's been my only concern is that it would look great for awhile and start chipping or peeling as it got older.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
My expectation is that the use of self etching primer & heat resistant paint located opposite the exhaust are the keys... Only time will tell, although I'm definitely not the first to go down this road. I got the idea from somebody else who had posted up a pic of a really nice looking manifold. Come to think of it, I've seen a number of painted 3000 pipes and don't remember hearing any peeling/blistering complaints.
If it turns out to be a bad idea, I'll pull it all back of for a little sandblasting. ;)

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Okay, okay! Here's what I scored, as described by the seller:

T4 Manifold with HK$ 48MM Wastegate

XS power with polished compressor housing
Compresser
Intake: 3"
Out: 2"
A/R: .60
60mm wheel

Turbine Housing
Out: 3" V-band
A/R: 1.15
twin scroll
5000 miles on it miniaml shaft play. (yes, very little)

I also picked up the down pipe and oil lines in the package... They've definitely seen the business end of a wrench, but should work great. All together, the entire setup ran me 490 squid, delivered. The turbo is probably going to be a bit laggy for my tastes, but I thought it would do until it dies, or until I can save up for something better. So, how'd I do?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

And here's most of it on the engine...

p1108849_1.jpg

Comments?

Last edited:

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
So now that the pics are up, here are more of my possibly stupid questions:

1. Has anybody figured out an easy way to rig the stock support, or to use anything else to support the turbo so that I don't end up with a cracked manifold?

2. It looks like FIPG was used on the oil line flanges... On the block I can see, but does it hold up alright on the turbo, or do I need to source a better gasket?

3. The DP looks a little more restrictive than the one I have for the CT setup. Could I have the 3: Vband welded on to my existing DP, or are they different shapes? Then again, would it really make any meaningful difference? After all, I really don't think I'm going to have a hard time making my HP goals with the complete setup I have, either way. Just looking for thoughts.

4. This is the potentially really stupid one, but I'm claiming legitimate ignorance since I have exactly zero experience with external wastegates... Which way do I point that sucker? Is it just left to vent directly, or am I missing something here? Take it easy on me. :kloguck:

***NOTICE*** If anybody local to Louisville has a *GOOD, SMOOTH SHIFTING R154*, I might be interested in buying it! I'm just not excited about putting the old notchy thing back in, and for the right price you might make a sale really fast! :)

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Unless the minifold was cut and reclocked the WG will have to face the right side frame. Most people have the flange reclocked so the exit of the WG is pointing to the back of the car.

Either way you might want either a dump pipe that vents out the bottom of the car or recirculates back into the DP. On the other hand you dont HAVE to have a dump pipe. I had mine just vent right out the WG with no problems.

Using FIPG is dangerous on the oil feed flange. You REALLY dont want any to get in the way of the feed, or going down into your turbo bearing. A proper gasket is a better idea imho.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Kurt if you can make your old downpipe work, that's what I would do. I don't know if these turbos are in the same location though so it may be at a different angle. Check it and see. That downpipe there looks like a piece of pipe with crude bends at best. It's not that hard to weld on the vband clamps either.
Hopefully this turbo will work well for you, but I'm thinking it's going to be on the laggy side as well. Maybe it will make up for it once it's spooled up though.
As for the wastegate dumptube. I pointed mine towards the back......well down and back. I also had the same wastegate that you have. I've since went to the Tial, but the HKS worked flawlessly for two years. It's still working now, but I wanted something different....and shiny.

I'm glad you posted the pictures up because I really didn't want to close your thread down........you may have some of them long distance bullets that could find there way over here. Good luck with the build. Hopefully I'll get to see it sometime next year.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Thanks for leaving my thread open, Jay. ;)

I will definitely take a look at how closely the DP's line up and see if I can change my old one over to V-band. As for lag, I was told the turbo started to spool at ~3500 rpm, but "comes on like a freight train". Eh, might be fun for a while, but I will definitely start saving my pocket change for something better. Like I said, it was a very inexpensive complete T4 setup to get me through until I can make better things happen. Right now an ebay "electric turbo" would make me happy if it meant my car was on the road again. :p

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Great news! I've managed to rally the troops and we're tackling the beast this weekend. Day & time are top secret so I don't get hassled to post up pics. :evil2: The plan is to definitely have this thing on the road this weekend. YEAH!!!!

Last chance for anybody local with a *good* R154 for sale coming up!

Last edited:

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Yup, top secret. All I can say is that Dave & Chris definitely will not be helping me out Friday night, and I absolutely do NOT have any plans to post up pics of a finished project before I drive it to the lake on Saturday. :D