Shytheed Gets Serious

MA70Snowman

Oct 17, 2006
San Diego
Hey Shytheed, lookin' good on the build. following this very closely as yours is almost a mirror to what I'm running with. I have the same turbo, W/G setup and hung up on the same dilemma about the V-band Down pipe. who did you order your clutch through? and have you done anything to the tranny for the numbers you're hoping for? also what did you conclude as far as supporting the turbo to relieve some stress off the manifold. one last question what size fittings are those on the turbo feed/drain lines, and which side is the feed, small or big lol i could never figure it out :D good luck man. watching closely .

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
MA70Snowman;1110497 said:
Hey Shytheed, lookin' good on the build. following this very closely as yours is almost a mirror to what I'm running with. I have the same turbo, W/G setup and hung up on the same dilemma about the V-band Down pipe. who did you order your clutch through? and have you done anything to the tranny for the numbers you're hoping for? also what did you conclude as far as supporting the turbo to relieve some stress off the manifold. one last question what size fittings are those on the turbo feed/drain lines, and which side is the feed, small or big lol i could never figure it out :D good luck man. watching closely .

My clutch came from Kentucky Clutch in Brooks, KY. $350 for a built to order complete kit, and comes highly recommended from several Louisville locals. :) As far as the tranny goes, I'm just running an old R154, but having watched a bunch of build threads it should be up to the job. I just wish I could source a better, smoother shifting tranny before 6 or 7 pm tonight. Oh well...

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help on the rest of your questions until maybe tomorrow... I'm playing with the stock turbo bracket to see what I can rig up for support, but who knows? I only mocked up the turbo so far and will be waiting on the experts to get here tonight and make sure the lines go on right with absolutely NO kinks or restrictions of any kind. I'll let you know what I learn, but I'm pretty sure the feed is the large line since it would make sense to have a large volume in, smaller out, and the large line is also lower in the block - closer to the pump.

Alright, I'm turning the tables on the interrogation. (Something Jay knows well; here's a pic I found of Suprahero interrogating and torturing some would be Supra bad guy by whipping his nads out at him over and over again. They say the dude was never seen again...)

interrogation_2.jpg.rZd.72468.jpg

So tell me more about the turbo. When do you start to see it start build and when do you hit full boost? What kind of numbers are you putting down with it? How long/many miles have you run it? Recommend it or hate it?

Thanks and watch away! :icon_razz

Alright, time to go pull and paint my TEMS covers and charcoal canister, straighten the garage up a little so we can find everything, and start on the intercooler! :)

Last edited:

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Shytheed Dumas;1110787 said:
I'll let you know what I learn, but I'm pretty sure the feed is the large line since it would make sense to have a large volume in, smaller out, and the large line is also lower in the block - closer to the pump.

The big one is the drain, the smaller one is the feed. If you notice the feed feeds the bearing from the top, then the oil drains back thanks to gravity.

Anyway, good luck getting her back together tonight. I hope you find time to post pics too. :)

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
lol, well that's what I get for talking out my ass. :D

Thanks Drew, I will get the pics up no later than tomorrow afternoon. I'm running around buying a ton of odds and ends. What a waste of time! :(

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Okay bad night, so unless you want to see pics of an unhappy me and and unfinished car, there will be no further pictures posted this weekend. :cry:

Outside of the minor frustrations, Dave (dbsupra90) and I ran into a bunch of problems that we couldn't work out tonight. So, here's my go-forward plan:

1. Finish this beer and go to bed
  2. Find or buy the 17mm deep socket that I couldn't find and use impact wrench to bust the gas tank strap bolts loose tomorrow. Finish Walbro install.
  3. Take exhaust mani to the shop on Monday to have the WG flange flipped 90*
  4. Order new exhaust housing for turbo, so I have more than 500 rpm of boost.
  5. Order EGR gaskets.
  6. Install motor, trailer to shop and have WG dump routed to the downpipe that the shop will make from the existing setup.
  7. Start car.
  8. Break in.
  9. Tune.
  10. Enjoy.

So there it is; my 10 step plan for Supra happiness. I'll post up progress, but with a business trip planned, son's birthday, and Labor Day weekend, I expect it will be a couple of weeks before it all comes together. On the bright side, I might still get it running within 30 days of receiving the motor...

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
That's a bummer you didn't get it done but none of this is that big a deal just have to work through it.

Sounds like you are doing it all right so it will be very well worth the wait I'm sure.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Yeah, I could've pushed through and made it work, but I'm in too deep to not be completely happy with it when I'm done. And I will be!

I got the gas tank strap bolts loose today without actually breaking the staps, so maybe things are looking up. :)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
He may be trapped under the gas tank.......somebody go over and check on him and report back to us. If he is trapped, make sure and get a few pictures.............:evil2:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
:rofl:

That's like reading the car craft issue where they guys kept having to drain and drop the gastank. They forgot to drain it the last time and the guy got stuck under the car.

The photographer didn't help, just took pictures of him stuck :rofl:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I didn't see that issue, so I feel Kurt owes this to me to be trapped............:biglaugh:

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
I'm alive! I got almost everything that I need in, but had a work emergency come up and had to leave town for the week. Now I'm just down to needing a motormount and ordering the new turbo housing would be nice. Tomorrow I run from Hurricane Hanna, get off the plane and go home to reinstall my empty gas tank. :D

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Kurt, when are you going to be back in my part of the country?

Ruthless is my middle name.........:evil2:

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
Shytheed Dumas;1121846 said:
I'm alive! I got almost everything that I need in, but had a work emergency come up and had to leave town for the week. Now I'm just down to needing a motormount and ordering the new turbo housing would be nice. Tomorrow I run from Hurricane Hanna, get off the plane and go home to reinstall my empty gas tank. :D

whenever you decide to do some involved work, give me a call. i'll be back over to help. still trying to find you a housing for that turbo.

oh, and i left my kobalt 5n1 in your hatch.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
I've got it, Dave, and been keeping it safe for you. :) Hey, I ordered a 98 motor mount like you said, and it really doesn't look like it's going to be a fit... I've got to figure out what to do about it, because if I understand my receipt correctly, it won't be returnable. Keep me posted on the housing, and I let you know when I plan to drop the engine in - maybe next weekend? Let me know if that would work for you.

Jay, I took a little time off of travelling for work, but it caught up to me and I'm starting to log miles again. I'm in Pennsylvania later this month, and then probably back to Alabama in October. I will definitely give you a call or PM when I get a flight booked.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
you aren't holding your head right when you look at it. she'll fit. how much did it end up costing you and where did you buy it? don't know why it wouldn't be returnable if you decided you didnt want to use it.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
mmmmmmmmmmm steak.........By you not flying, I'm losing weight. I need me another steak dinner or bubby Que dinner..........:yumyum:

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Quick clutch set question: How does the bearing come off the old pressure plate so that I can install the new bearing on the new plate?!? It looks like a pry out, but damn it's on good! Am I doing it wrong, or do I just need put a little more something into it?

Jay, dinner's on me! :)

Dave, I need to check out my kitchen pass, but does this weekend look like a go for you and maybe Chris? I need this thing done! I transfer my Celica today for $2900 cash and need some wheels fast... not bad for a $1100 investment, eh? ;) I'll give you a call later today if I don't go to the auto auction.